topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:05 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: using 2 mice - can I have different settings for each?  (Read 21055 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
using 2 mice - can I have different settings for each?
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:44 PM »
I have used two mice before but they were both righthanders
I was happy enough using the righthand settings with my left hand - in fact I've gotten very used to that

I just today got a lefthanded vertical mouse.
Partly because of what I saying above & partly because of the mouse design, I find it easier to use the lower button as the click button (this being the opposite of default settings)
I'm now also using a right handed mouse to help ease the work for my poor suffering left arm (suffering anyway but also finding it strenuous adjusting)
Problem is when I change the settings on the left mouse, it changes the settings on the right too
This is still the case when I install the vertical mouse driver - I havent tried installing Logitech drivers (for the older mouse) but iirc that's the same in that it just ties into windows mouse settings (?)

I'm not sure what to do - whether to stick to default left mouse behaviour & hope I get used to it ..
or
other IDEA
is to find some way to control the button settings individually on each mouse -

anyone got any ideas there?

PS decided against posting in Drawing with 2 mice cause that's a different idea again - having two independent cursors/arrows
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: using 2 mice - can I have different settings for each?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 05:52 PM »
As far as I know, the answer is no. Unless you wanted to open up your mouse and change the wiring around on the inside. :Thmbsup:
Actually, I don't know why people just don't design left handed mice/mouses/mieces that way. I'm brilliant!  :graduate:

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 07:13 PM »
I wish that it was possible to have double independant mouse ipointers on the screen as well :) Then one could use 2 mouse simultaneously!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 07:27 PM »
I was happy enough using the righthand settings with my left hand - in fact I've gotten very used to that...

With dexterity such as that I think you should have entered the Olympic Mousing event.  :)

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 07:40 PM »
Could you find a mouse that you could use backwards?  I've just been fooling with the little portable mouse I carry, and I can use it so-so facing the other way (so with my left hand I still double "left" click with my index finger)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 09:03 PM »
I know that the cd that came with my keyboard/mouse combo (that logitech claims doesn't exist) allows me to configure the mice separately I believe. it would detect the mouse plugged into the ps/2 port, and when I plugged in my wired usb mouse it detected it and asked if I wanted to configure it, so I am guessing that each one would have different button configs. The software that came with my combo is itouch (keyboard media keys), and mouseware.
[Insert really cool signature here]

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 04:30 AM »
As far as I know, the answer is no. Unless you wanted to open up your mouse and change the wiring around on the inside. :Thmbsup:
Actually, I don't know why people just don't design left handed mice/mouses/mieces that way. I'm brilliant!  :graduate:
if I plug in left AND right-handed mice, both do work as would be expected
      LEFT                           RIGHT
context|click                   click|context

my problem is the lefthanded mouse - I like the design, think I'll stick with it, but find the top(right)button too short & therefore harder to use so I wanted to change it's behaviour to opposite of default.
Unfortunately, as said above that's changes the right mouse too

I wish that it was possible to have double independant mouse ipointers on the screen as well :) Then one could use 2 mouse simultaneously!
did you see the thread linked to end of first post (no solutions though)

I was happy enough using the righthand settings with my left hand - in fact I've gotten very used to that...

With dexterity such as that I think you should have entered the Olympic Mousing event.  :)
-cranioscopical (August 19, 2008, 07:27 PM)
a bit like Jimi Hendrix learning the guitar by turning it upsidedown so he could play it left handed (I wish) - when I tried to change my ambidextrous logitech mouse to lefthanded settings I just couldnt adjust to it - that's probably part of my problem now...

I know that the cd that came with my keyboard/mouse combo (that logitech claims doesn't exist) allows me to configure the mice separately I believe. it would detect the mouse plugged into the ps/2 port, and when I plugged in my wired usb mouse it detected it and asked if I wanted to configure it, so I am guessing that each one would have different button configs. The software that came with my combo is itouch (keyboard media keys), and mouseware.
thanks nitemonkey, I have a couple of PS2 adapters in a drawer here somewhere so will try that, also
I've downloaded mouseware from cnet, my logitech mouse came with software called setpoint, could try that too :-\
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 08:00 AM »
nitemonkey, didnt have any luck with your route unfortunately
The Logitech mouseware soft takes over the Control Panel>Mouse options
It didnt respond when I plugged in the other mouse, either it didnt recognise it or maybe something to do with the fact the second mouse had already been connected & gone through the add new hardware wizard thingy
Tom

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 04:08 PM »
I wasn't sure if it would or not, I haven't used the software in a long time. Would there be some way that you could make an AHK program that would send the left mouse click when you physically right clicked, and vice verso
[Insert really cool signature here]

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 03:37 AM »
I wasn't sure if it would or not, I haven't used the software in a long time. Would there be some way that you could make an AHK program that would send the left mouse click when you physically right clicked, and vice verso

it would have to be able to differentiate between the two mouses which I suspect might be impossible but it would be great
Any takers out there ?? or ideas on the subject ??
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 01:36 PM »

it would have to be able to differentiate between the two mouses which I suspect might be impossible but it would be great
Any takers out there ?? or ideas on the subject ??

Another idea would possibly be an AHK shortcut that would toggle the mouse settings to be lefty or righty.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 03:02 PM »
Another idea would possibly be an AHK shortcut that would toggle the mouse settings to be lefty or righty.

was just thinking along the same lines myself this evening :Thmbsup:
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 04:01 AM »
new thread in Post New Requests forum:

IDEA: hotkey to toggle left/right mouse buttons
Tom

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 06:00 PM »
 :) It's got nothing to do with the original post, but here's SwapMouseButtons!

Just press Windows-S to swap mouse buttons.

Skrommel

;SwapMouseButtons.ahk
; Press Windows-S to swap mouse buttons
;Skrommel @ 2008

#SingleInstance,Force
SendMode,Input
SetWindelay,0
SetKeyDelay,0

#s::
RegRead,swapped,HKEY_CURRENT_USER,Control Panel\Mouse,SwapMouseButtons
ToolTip,%swapped%
If swapped<>1
{
  Run,RUNDLL32 USER32.DLL`,SwapMouseButton
  RegWrite,REG_SZ,HKEY_CURRENT_USER,Control Panel\Mouse,SwapMouseButtons,1
}
Else
{
  Run,RUNDLL32.EXE SHELL32.dll`,Control_RunDLL main.cpl @0`,0
  WinWait,ahk_class #32770
  WinActivate,ahk_class #32770
  WinWaitActive,ahk_class #32770
  Send,%A_Space%{Enter}
  RegWrite,REG_SZ,HKEY_CURRENT_USER,Control Panel\Mouse,SwapMouseButtons,0
}
Return
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 06:02 PM by skrommel »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 03:58 PM »
:) arrghhh, you're doing it again Skrommel (super :D !!!)
Tom

Jabberwock

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 06:05 AM »
Check GlovePIE - it is a controller programming software that will allow you usethe other mouse in many different ways - do window actions, simulate presses, control second pointer (although that function is somewhat limited due to system restrictions). Of course, switch buttons is there, too, it is trivial in fact. The things you can do with the second mouse, though, can be much cooler - use it as a superfine or superrough mouse (i.e. with different resolution than the right-hand mouse), as a joystick, etc.

What is important is that you "swallow" the mouse input and "emulate" the system mouse with your right-hand mouse (I think it is presented in the script examples).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 06:25 AM »
Check GlovePIE - 

thanks Jabberwock - they've exceeded bandwidth for the month so I'll try again in a couple of days.

EDIT/ got it from chip.eu 
will have a look :up:
Tom
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 06:39 AM by tomos »

mikiem

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 11:34 AM »
Couple of thoughts Totally FWIW...

Tomos, you've mentioned that you don't like the button placement of the left-handed mouse... I've found over the years that choosing symmetrical mice (mouses?) make it much quicker/easier to move your hand from keyboard to mouse. And, a symmetrical design means you can easily assign buttons for right or left hand use with no need for a leftie mouse. I do realize that you're talking about a vert. mouse, but my point is maybe you should focus more on getting hardware that fits you rather than fitting yourself to the hardware?

As far as different button assignments go, have you thought about assigning sets per application? Logitech software for instance can detect the program and recall your custom settings. Don't know if that would work at all for you or not, and is based on the assumption that you wouldn't use both mice in the same program at the same time.

That said, both, current MS Intellipoint & Logitech Setpoint *I think* recognize different devices - maybe what you're after will work if the software you use recognizes both? Maybe they'd both have to be the same brand as the software so as not to show up as generic? Or maybe attaching one via PS2 & the other USB would do the trick, as long as the software had the info built-in to recognize the models? Other than very briefly while setting up a new system (where a PS2 mouse was initially needed at boot), the only time I use 2 devices is with my tablet, so I'm just guessing there - sorry.
---
Off-topic - Please Forgive - for those who are always wanting to be a little bit faster with their mouse...

I've found that the very thin, flexible, (I assume some sort of plastic material) kitchen cutting boards make really very ideal mouse surfaces! I've made more traditional looking pads by sandwiching a printed pic between very thin foam & one of these roll-up cutting boards, cut to size. Then I found a cutting board with a nice image, and a non-slip backing which I've been using for several months. And at $1 or 3, a huge discount if you've priced gaming alternatives. The downside is you have to keep it clean - any grit is immediately apparent, unlike cloth pads. The speed increase & overall feel is well worth it.

Some may also like this - I covered mine in foam backed material (for arm sweating), but even uncovered it's wonderful.
http://www.dealextre...details.dx/sku.10541
Note: do not go by the pictures - the one showing the package has the correct use, as an arm support.