topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 11:13 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Suggestions for the Next Release of LaunchBar Commander  (Read 6421 times)

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Suggestions for the Next Release of LaunchBar Commander
« on: August 16, 2008, 05:02 PM »
This "forgotten" program by mouser was mentioned during a conversation on #donationcoder (IRC) earlier, and I had a few requests for the next version, so let's hear them:

• Rightclick-> delete/move/edit/context menu. For quick'n'easy editing of an item.
  • Better skinning. mouser already said he wanted to use the same skinning engine as FARR, but I thought I'd post this request anyway.
  • Possibility to view the launchbar even if preferences are open. The current behaviour is a bit annoying, since the bar will disappear when I'll want to change some settings (skins, for instance)...
  • Auto-calculate height/define a height. I can't see this anywhere. Personally I'd like to have 16px icons on 20px buttons on a 24px high bar. Ability to define this in the preferences would be much appreciated!
  • Working file-dropping and scripts. Well, the tabs are there in the node-definition but they're not functional yet :P

Please post additional requests in this thread and I believe we'll eventually see an even greater LaunchBar Commander!

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Suggestions for the Next Release of LaunchBar Commander
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 08:55 AM »
I'm not too pleased with the following behaviour:
Select a node in the preferences-> then rightclick another node-> delete = It'll delete the selected node.
I'd prefer if the rightclick was "assigned" to node under cursor, not the currently selected node. I also believe this behaviour would be more consistent with windows in general.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 09:17 AM »
Another:
Switch between different docks. I.E. a command that opens another dock and closes/hides the current one. This could be useful if for instance there's some specific task I set out to do that can be accomplished with some utilities in their own dock. And then when done, I can just click a button that'll switch back to my default dock. Hope that makes sense :)

Same thing could perhaps eventually be accomplished through hotkeys.

Edit: I wrote 'launchbar' but changed to 'dock' since that would probably make more sense... maybe?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 09:44 AM by TucknDar »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 09:54 AM »
Keep the suggestions coming -- this is good timing because i will be releasing an update of LBC in the next month or two and i will try to get as many requests done as possible.  Some of the items you've mentioned will definitely be implemented.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 10:18 AM »
  • Possibility to view the launchbar even if preferences are open. The current behaviour is a bit annoying, since the bar will disappear when I'll want to change some settings (skins, for instance)...

i also had a chat with TucknDar in the IRC and noticed that the above option was removed due to a bug.

• Fixed bug that could cause crash if you close files/nodes that are showing on a docking bar on screen while you are editing it (docking bars now close while you edit preferences).

however in keeping with the original intentions, i'd like provide some links to suggestions that i had made earlier.

Mouse click delay
Read-only option hinders shut-down
Aligning the icons - center
Ampersand missing

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 10:38 AM »
Aligning the icons - center

Somewhat related: How about possibility to have the bar only as wide as the sum of all icons? Then also possibility to specify positions such as Top Center, Left Center, Right Bottom, etc... I suppose this would also mean that there would need to be an option to not "redefine" the screen area, i.e. not technically dock...  :huh: Hope that made sense ;)