ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone good with search engines - I am thoroughly frustrated!

<< < (3/5) > >>

40hz:
You may have identified a topic that could be approved for a Doctoral dissertation considering how obscure the text your looking for seems to be.

I don't know how it works over in the UK, but over here the rule seems to be: If it can be Googled, it is not sufficiently 'scholarly' for a dissertation. ;D

Carol Haynes:
LOL - I know what you mean but having bought various books and musical scores I don't want to change my content of the essay. It has become a matter of pride to track the b**** down!

40hz:
It has become a matter of pride to track the b**** down!
-Carol Haynes (August 16, 2008, 06:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

The sign of the true student. And also the true master now that I think about it. ;D

Bravo!

tomos:
Contact the Schumannhaus -  Musikbibliothek (Music library), the Robert Schumann Haus - Zwickau, or the Robert-Schumann-Gesellschaft (Schumann Society).

Have you tried the Katalog der Stadtbibliothek Bonn?
-PhilB66 (August 15, 2008, 07:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks Phil,

I have looked at the Society site and it only seems to refer to Schumann's period in Dusseldorf. Maybe I need to write to them.

The Zwickau site couldn't help (I emailed them)

The other two sites are beyond my German (which is pretty non-existant but I have a tame German teacher ... at least when she gets back off holiday!).
-Carol Haynes (August 15, 2008, 07:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

the first & last links there lead to the same place
with a simple search there for Schumann Manfred, I got a list of CD's & musical scores (no definite indication as to whether spoken text included in scores or not)
http://www.lib.bonn.de/webOPACClient/start.do?Login=webOPAC09&BaseURL=this (cant get direct link to the search)

If you want to contact them with a query I can do a quick & very dirty translation for you - my german is "fluent" (in the sense I can waffle :P) but not necessarily "super" :-\

Carol Haynes:
Thanks - I have the Kalmus Edition of the Score. It has the sung pats of the German text but not the spoken parts. (The work is a dramatised performance of the poem with incidental music and some of the poem set to music eiother for solists, ensembles or choir).

Unfortunately I think the Breitkopf and Peters Editions are  out of print.

The only full version on CD mentioned is the Carl Schuricht recording. I have a copy of this and it doesn't have any text included.

I am waiting to hear back from Breitkopf - they are the original publishers of the work.

The trouble is my essay is about how the original text is transformed both in content and meaning during the process of creating the musical work. This requires 3 stage of transformation:

* Byron original text (English) -> German translation (Suckow)
* Suckow text -> Schumann's German adaptation prior to composition
* Schumann's text -> performance version of the work
Even if I can find a copy of the complete text in the piece I still need to find Suckow's original translation. It is referred to often but I can't seem to find a reference to a copy anywhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version