ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Music files 101

<< < (5/8) > >>

cmpm:
Yep that first one, they will catch it eventually.
The one I had had been up for a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLgUuHl2xJo&feature=related

Carol Haynes:
On a side note:

While I'm aware that most classical music composers (Bach, Beethoven etc.) are being dead for quite some time now...longer dead than RIAA regulations, so their music is copyright free.

Now I heard something about still living descendants that can claim rights. Is this true?  
-Shades (August 14, 2008, 05:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

The music may be in the public domain (provided they have been dead from more than 90 years in some cases - so you are effectively 20th century composers and even some 19th century are still in copyright. Copyright may also have been passed to the publisher in which case if the publisher is still in business the music will be in copyright and many German publishers are very old.

Editions of music are also copyright so even if the music is in the public domain editions are not because the editor and publisher hold rights to the edition.

Add to that the music is not protected by copyright on a CD per se but the performance is. If an orchestra performs a Beethoven symphony the actual score they use may be in the public domain but the conductor/orchestra etc. still have copyright protection for the performance.

As an example suppose Hollywood make a film of Shakespeare's Henry V - would the film makers have no rights to the film and the actors not be entitled to any royalties etc. ? Would a DVD of the film not be subject to copyright because the play is in the public domain?

cranioscopical:
As an example suppose Hollywood make a film of Shakespeare's Henry V - would the film makers have no rights to the film and the actors not be entitled to any royalties etc. ? Would a DVD of the film not be subject to copyright because the play is in the public domain?
-Carol Haynes (December 06, 2008, 07:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is his claim, his threatening and my message. - Exeter

Carol Haynes:
Eh?

Darwin:
Eh?
-Carol Haynes (December 06, 2008, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

http://shakespeare.mit.edu/henryv/henryv.2.4.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version