ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What would your ideal Operating System be like?

(1/12) > >>

mouser:
We've had a few recent long threads on the differences between windows and linux and on which operating system you like best, but i thought it might be nice to discuss what we would all like to see in a perfect operating system.

Post as detailed a description as you like -- it would be nice to hear both from end users and from those who know a bit about recent developments in modern operating system internals.

mouser:
Some of my thoughts, that will sound bad to many people i'm sure.  I note that i am talking about a desktop operating system not an internet server OS.

1) no appearance customization /skinning. enforce a completely standardized user interface.  I think predictability of user interface and good guidelines for coders is important.
2) no different distributions of the OS.  i recognize how cool it is that there are so many linux distributions but i just tend to prefer a more standardized controlled predictable approach to the core OS (im not saying anything about application "packs").
3) no included applications in the OS distribution, other than the most bare minimum (basic text editor maybe, and control panel type utilities).
4) minimal user interface fancy effects -- just a personal choice that i would rather keep the visuals to a minimum.
5) a focus on clean file system -- all of the current major OS make me crazy with how messy and chaotic their file systems are.
6) a focus on providing a clean object oriented API for programs.  The entire focus of the operating system should be in providing a clean efficient interface to coders.
7) a focus on eliminating all hidden system settings.. do not use a registry system.  software should be install-less, and installing a piece of software should be a simple matter of copying files to a fixed location.  uninstallation would be just a matter of deleting the files.

Gothi[c]:

* Free as in Freedom and Beer.
* Clean, object oriented, documented code.
* As customizable as possible, both with scripting and plugins on every level.
* Lots of modularity and choice for different purposes. Once size does NOT fit all.
* Has a mysterious new method of spreading the cpu load of applications across multiple CPU cores, on an OS level instead of an application level, so developers don't have to deal with complex threading, mutexes, etc, just to write applications that work efficiently with modern mutli-core systems. Yet the traditional threading model should still be available.
* Due to it's modularity and scalability it should run on older computers as well as new hardware efficiently. [edit]
* Efficient resource usage, no waste to bloat. Ie, it doesn't make a 3GHz box feel like an old P300MHz [/edit]

* Secure, the ability to do full-disk encryption etc...
* A sad reality is that it will have to have hardware compatibility with so many different types of hardware, both new and old. ( Sad because, I'd really like to see some new architectures, but the truth of the situation is that old legacy hardware is cheap, and anything new would be out of my price range :D )
* And then, the most important thing, I guess, is not the Operating System, but the Applications. The best OS will be worth nothing without good applications written for it. But since this thread is about the Operating System, I'll stick to that and end the list here:) Though it's all just from the top of my head - i'm sure it's full of flawed logic :)

Gothi[c]:
1) no appearance customization /skinning. enforce a completely standardized user interface.  I think predictability of user interface and good guidelines for coders is important.
2) no different distributions of the OS.  i recognize how cool it is that there are so many linux distributions but i just tend to prefer a more standardized controlled predictable approach to the core OS (im not saying anything about application "packs").

--- End quote ---
I wouldn't want your OS ;) Nice way of pointing out the direct opposites of my perfect OS :D
Just proves that one size doesn't fit all theory ;)
7) a focus on eliminating all hidden system settings.. do not use a registry system.  software should be install-less, and installing a piece of software should be a simple matter of copying files to a fixed location.  uninstallation would be just a matter of deleting the files.

--- End quote ---
I'm all for having to do less work, but the last thing I want is a "user friendly" OS, where I'm assumed an idiot. I like to be prompted where I want things to be installed, in fact, I'd rather move it there myself. I don't trust automation. I want full control over these things. It would be OK to have the install-less software as feature for other people, but it should be optional :)

kartal:
-no software installations
-near instant startup
-please, no registry
-simple easy cloning-mirroring of operating system on other machines
-if possible make it free :) (No ads supported OS)
-security should be the most important part of the os design
-simplified hardware-driver management
-please use encrypted drives, even for system files
-better default firewall and network manager(xp and vista`s network-firewall managers are a joke compared to commercial or free firewalls)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version