ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What would your ideal Operating System be like?

<< < (4/12) > >>

Darwin:
Wow! That's quite a vision of your ideal OS, f0dder  :Thmbsup: - you've given this some though, haven't you   :) Anyway, very interesting.

4wd:
QNX Neutrino RTOS - Back in my Amiga days I still remember the demo disk they had, a complete RTOS, GUI interface and web browser on a single bootable 1.44MB floppy.

I've still got the OS CD, (IIRC - a 5cm disc!),  they gave out at one of the last Amiga shows around here somewhere.

Canada hasn't had a meltdown yet :)

I like their Microsoft analogy  :D

The QNX operating system is a micro-kernel operating system, which means it consists of a relatively small base of code. "Take a string of Christmas lights," said Darrin Shewchuk, head of communications with Kanata, Ont.-based QNX Software Systems Ltd. "Remember the old style of Christmas lights where you had a big long string and if one bulb burned out the whole thing burned out and you had to go through each one and find out which single bulb failed? That's Microsoft."
--- End quote ---

PS: Woohoo! Only 1 post to go!

Shades:
Aaahhhh...the Amiga days, fond memories  :)

Especially with its PFS file system (that I later bought), DirectoryOpus 5 with this filesystem, 32Mb RAM, 68030 on steroids (50MHz!!!) and a 2GByte harddisk...it was really fun playing DOOM (and others from that era) on that A1200.

EDIT:
Oops, forgot to say that I really liked the robustness from the AmigaOS...and Arexx...and text file configuration. The folder structure was also reasonably simple.

Argh, you done it...now I have to fire up Cloanto again!!!  ;)

zridling:
f0dder knows of what he speaketh -- wow!  :up:

Darwin:
Canada hasn't had a meltdown yet
-4wd (August 14, 2008, 08:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

You obviously haven't been paying much attention to the Olympics then! Ouch! Did I say that out loud?  ;D]

BTW Congrats on the 100th post!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version