ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

New Linux Distro specifically designed for programmers

<< < (3/6) > >>

MrCrispy:
This is quite ironic. Linux has been from day 1 designed by and for programmers, and every distro includes   programming tools, compilers, editors (and more than one of each). Installing or upgrading programs is done by compiling from source. Admittedly the end user doesn't need to do all this anymore, but its still there. I'd say the LAST thing linux needs is a distro for programmers :) 

But that's the beauty of open source, someone will do it 'just because they can'.

Carol Haynes:
Out of curiosity is there a distro that is aimed at being a pure minimalist Samba server. I would like to set up a file server on my network but don't want to have the hassle of installing a full distribution as I don't really need hardware support beyond keyboard, mouse, monitor and discs. Any ideas?

tinjaw:
I can post more specific instructions if you need, but I would either,

* run a LiveCD version of some linux and enable samba
* run something like Damn Small Linux (DSL) and enable samba
* run a router distro with a samba packaged added and all other services turned off

f0dder:
How many Linux distros are there? :huh:
-TucknDar (August 13, 2008, 01:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
Too many :)

40hz:
How many Linux distros are there? :huh:
-TucknDar (August 13, 2008, 01:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
Too many :)
-f0dder (August 14, 2008, 02:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interestingly enough, that seems to be the general consensus of most of the Linux community. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version