ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

New Linux Distro specifically designed for programmers

<< < (2/6) > >>

VideoInPicture:
This might just be the thing that gets me to install linux on my computer. All the tools a developer needs in one install. If I can dual boot with it, then I'll try some linux development since it has the new distro comes with Mono which is an open source .Net Framework.

jgpaiva:
Interesting, 40hz!
If this was supported by ubuntu, I'd jump right in :)
Still, I might probably jump in anyways ;)

40hz:
Interesting, 40hz!
If this was supported by ubuntu, I'd jump right in :)
Still, I might probably jump in anyways ;)
-jgpaiva (August 13, 2008, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I just put it up on a box running an AMD-64 w/ 2GB RAM today. The install went smooth as silk so I'm guardedly optimistic. Can't wait to start cranking with all those snazzy developer tools. 8)

Thought:  If you wanted support I suppose you could always print out the list of apps, download a vanilla copy of Xubuntu, and then add the packages to that. Only problem is Cannonical doesn't offer support for everything in their repositories so it might not matter either way.

40hz:
40hz, 1.5 seems to be about right. Great find!
-zridling (August 13, 2008, 04:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks.
Wish it were mine, but variations of that joke have been floating around for a while now.

If anybody knows who has a claim to that gem, please post it.

PS - That 359 is from Distrowatch.com , who apparently have been tapped as the closest thing there is to an official monitor of distro propagation. Great site. If you haven't been over there yet, make it a point to bookmark them.

Lashiec:
This is pretty interesting. In the past I needed a Linux Live CD to do some quick 'n' dirty programming, but most distros don't even carry the essential tools for it. For now I'll drop it in a VM. Downloading...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version