topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: New Linux Distro specifically designed for programmers  (Read 24524 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New Linux Distro specifically designed for programmers
« on: August 13, 2008, 01:26 PM »
This week Distrowatch identified an new Linux release for web developers and programmers.

The product is called Workbench Linux. And it seems to have scratched an itch somewhere, because its website was slashdotted big time following the announcement. It loosened up a bit today and now seems to be accepting connections.

Workbench is available as a free iso download at:
http://my-codebits.s...workbench/index.html

From Distrowatch (www.distroatch.com):
WorkBench Linux. WorkBench Linux is a Xubuntu-based distribution aimed primarily at software and web developers. As such, it includes the most popular development environments (Eclipse, NetBeans, Lazarus, Gambas), tools (GCC, Sun JDK, PHP, Apache, MySQL) and utilities. Moreover, all the usual applications that a user would need on a daily basis (like the OpenOffice.org suite, VLC, Firefox and Thunderbird come pre-installed. In order to achieve the desired level of usability and eye-candy, the Xfce window manager is used in combination with Cairo-Dock and screenlets.

workbench-1.0-small.png

The following more detailed list of included applications was posted at the download site:

Packages And Applications

Development

* GCC, G77, Sun JDK, FPC, Python
    * Eclipse (+ All Callisto Repository Plugins)
    * NetBeans 6
    * Monodevelop
    * Anjuta
    * Glade
    * Gambas 2
    * Lazarus
    * wxGlade
Web Design & Development
    * Apache, PHP, MySQL Servers (XAMPP)
    * Kompozer
    * Bluefish
    * gPHPEdit
    * Cssed Editor
Development Utilities
    * SVN WorkBench
    * Geany
    * PoEdit
    * HexEditor
    * ManEdit
    * Umbrello UML Modeler
    * regExxer (advanced search & replace tool)
Graphics
    * GIMP
    * Inkscape
Office
    * OpenOffice.Org (complete suite)
    * Abiword Word Processor
    * Gnumeric Spreadsheet
Network
    * Firefox Web Browser
    * Thunderbird Mail/News Client
    * Filezilla FTP Client
    * Transmission Bittorrent Client
    * Wireshark Packet Sniffer
    * Pidgin Instant Messenger
Audio/Video
    * VLC Media Player/Streamer
    * Rhythmbox Music Player
    * Totem Media Player
    * SoundConverter
    * Audacity
Other Applications
    * Brasero Disc Burner
    * Cairo-Dock
    * Screenlets
    * Compiz (must be enabled manually)
    * 7Zip
    * gEdit
    * CHM Viewer
    * Ndis-GTK (GUI for Ndiswrapper)

+ all the integrated Xubuntu applications not mentioned here (Ristretto image-viewer, Thunar file-manager etc. )

Workbench Linux has a very good selection of tools, although I'm surprised Perl and Ruby were not included. Add those, and install a screen recorder for creating instructional videos, and you have just about everything you need to be your own development house.

All in all, a very nice package with enough general purpose apps to even make it suitable for use as a regular Linux desktop.

Two small concerns: (1) Workbench is not available as a live-cd, so you can't preview it before installation. (2)The iso weighs in at a hefty 1.49 Gb. A broadband connection + download manager are pretty much a must. (UPDATE: Torrents are now available).

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Linux Distro specifically designed for programmers
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 01:58 PM »
How many Linux distros are there? :huh:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 02:31 PM »

The quasi-official number is somewhere around 359. 8)

However, recent scientific research now puts the number of Linux distros at 1.5 times the number of actual Linux users. ;)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 02:35 PM by 40hz »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 02:38 PM »
hehe, pretty much what I would've estimated ;)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 04:29 PM »
40hz, 1.5 seems to be about right. Great find!

VideoInPicture

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 04:49 PM »
This might just be the thing that gets me to install linux on my computer. All the tools a developer needs in one install. If I can dual boot with it, then I'll try some linux development since it has the new distro comes with Mono which is an open source .Net Framework.
Author of Circle Dock: http://circledock.wikidot.com
Author of Video In Picture: http://videoinpicture.wikidot.com
Author of Webcam Signature: http://webcamsignature.wikidot.com
Author of Easy Unicode Paster: http://easyunicodepaster.wikidot.com

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 05:00 PM »
Interesting, 40hz!
If this was supported by ubuntu, I'd jump right in :)
Still, I might probably jump in anyways ;)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 05:14 PM »
Interesting, 40hz!
If this was supported by ubuntu, I'd jump right in :)
Still, I might probably jump in anyways ;)

I just put it up on a box running an AMD-64 w/ 2GB RAM today. The install went smooth as silk so I'm guardedly optimistic. Can't wait to start cranking with all those snazzy developer tools. 8)

Thought:  If you wanted support I suppose you could always print out the list of apps, download a vanilla copy of Xubuntu, and then add the packages to that. Only problem is Cannonical doesn't offer support for everything in their repositories so it might not matter either way.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 05:18 PM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 05:18 PM »
40hz, 1.5 seems to be about right. Great find!

Thanks.
Wish it were mine, but variations of that joke have been floating around for a while now.

If anybody knows who has a claim to that gem, please post it.

PS - That 359 is from Distrowatch.com , who apparently have been tapped as the closest thing there is to an official monitor of distro propagation. Great site. If you haven't been over there yet, make it a point to bookmark them.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 09:06 AM »
This is pretty interesting. In the past I needed a Linux Live CD to do some quick 'n' dirty programming, but most distros don't even carry the essential tools for it. For now I'll drop it in a VM. Downloading...

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 01:30 PM »
This is quite ironic. Linux has been from day 1 designed by and for programmers, and every distro includes   programming tools, compilers, editors (and more than one of each). Installing or upgrading programs is done by compiling from source. Admittedly the end user doesn't need to do all this anymore, but its still there. I'd say the LAST thing linux needs is a distro for programmers :) 

But that's the beauty of open source, someone will do it 'just because they can'.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 02:10 PM »
Out of curiosity is there a distro that is aimed at being a pure minimalist Samba server. I would like to set up a file server on my network but don't want to have the hassle of installing a full distribution as I don't really need hardware support beyond keyboard, mouse, monitor and discs. Any ideas?

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 02:41 PM »
I can post more specific instructions if you need, but I would either,

* run a LiveCD version of some linux and enable samba
* run something like Damn Small Linux (DSL) and enable samba
* run a router distro with a samba packaged added and all other services turned off

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 02:51 PM »
Too many :)
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 10:20 AM »

Interestingly enough, that seems to be the general consensus of most of the Linux community. 8)

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 10:45 AM »

Interestingly enough, that seems to be the general consensus of most of the Linux community. 8)

Ironically enough, the huge number of distros leads people to create a new one that will satisfy the needs of many of the others -- thus adding another one to the list.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 02:20 PM »
install a screen recorder for creating instructional videos
Well, that seems to a a reeeally difficult thing to get going on linux (i.e., a camstasia equivalent)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 06:28 AM »
Out of curiosity is there a distro that is aimed at being a pure minimalist Samba server. I would like to set up a file server on my network but don't want to have the hassle of installing a full distribution as I don't really need hardware support beyond keyboard, mouse, monitor and discs. Any ideas?

The following will do that. But they're not exactly minimalist implementations. ;)

FreeNAS  http://www.freenas.o...;id=19&Itemid=37

Openfiler www.openfiler.com/community/openfiler-community

This was mentioned at a LUG meeting I recently attended. Can't vouch for it since I've never tried it, but it does look interesting. There is a non-free Windows version, and free binaries for Mac and Nix appliances. THe LUG presentation was using a Linksys NSLU2 NAS device. (Hmmmm...now where did I put that little Linksys gadget that never worked right?) :)

http://barracudaserv...products/HomeServer/

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 06:42 AM by 40hz »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 06:39 AM »
Thanks I will have a look

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 06:44 AM »
Thanks I will have a look

Apologies. Was updating while you posted. I thought I'd better give you a little more info on Barracuda since I neglected to mention it wasn't your normal Nix app. ;)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 07:51 AM »
Baraccuda seems to be primarliy a webserver.

I am looking at Openfiler in VMWare. It looks interesting but the really annoying thing is that there is no documentation without having to cough up $59 !!!

Update: Enough already ... I have given up with Openfiler. I can't get it to work and without documentation don't stand a chance. Reading the community forums there seem to be a lot of people who have no idea how to get this to work and those that do are complaining about bugs and inconsistent updates that confuse people. Part of the problem is that there is an assumption that you understand all of the jargon around SMB and LDAP (which I don't) and it also seems to assume there is an external server to log in to (though that be me getting even more confused).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 08:13 AM by Carol Haynes »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 10:50 AM »
Update: Enough already ... I have given up with Openfiler.

I did too. There are people that swear by it. (I myself wound up swearing at it.)

I like FreeNAS - which I've blathered about elsewhere. :Thmbsup:

Can't say much about Barracuda. The demo I saw had the user uploading and downloading files locally and over the web. Probably more like FTP in that regard, although the web interface made it pretty easy.

Of course for a home file server, a box with a minimal install of XP might also suffice if heavy-duty security isn't an issue. Last I looked you were allowed to share with something like 10 users.

Put XP on a small partition, and setup the rest of the drive as the storage share area. Or better yet, attach one of those 500mb external monsters, and use that for your files. That way, if your home-brew server ever dies, you can just plug the external drive into any other machine and get to your stuff with the minimum bother.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 11:10 AM »
Part of my experiment was to work on setting up a network server (not a webserver). I figure I should at least learn the rudimentary set up details to get an effective and secure network setup in case I am ever asked to do it for work. I figure I need to get to grips with Samba and Windows 2003/8 Server.

I have a free copy of Windows 2003 Server Standard (and I can use Enterprise up to 90 days for free).

Trouble is all of these things are less than obvious to set up and almost all the dosumentation seems to assume that you don't actually need documentation because they assume you know what is required and understand the jargon and acronyms like a seasoned professional. How anybody is ever meant to find out about this stuff these days I am still trying to figure out. The other problem is that by the time you start to get to grips with stuff it all changes!

For simple file sharing - I think you are right. A large USB drive attached to a Windows XP box (old redundant gear will do) via a Gigabit switch is probably the ideal for small networks. If you want security just switch off simple file sharing and implement proper permissions on folders.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 05:18 PM »
Part of my experiment was to work on setting up a network server (not a webserver). I figure I should at least learn the rudimentary set up details to get an effective and secure network setup in case I am ever asked to do it for work. I figure I need to get to grips with Samba and Windows 2003/8 Server.

Windows 2003 Server is pretty straight forward to set up compared to previous versions. They have quasi-wizards to walk you through all the major setup and administrative tasks. If you're remembering the old NT or 2K servers, you're in for a pleasant surprise. That being said, you also run the risk of throwing out the baby with the bath water when you do a setup that way since a lot of decisions get made for you.

Recommendation: 

Mastering Windows Server 2003 by Mark Minasi, Christa Anderson, Michele Beverridge, and C. A. Callahan

Read this book. Know this book. Love this book.

Also check out this one afterwards: Mark Minasi's Windows XP and Server 2003 Resource Kit

Between the two, you have everything you need for Windows server. The 2008 versions are either out by now or will be shortly.

As far as Samba goes, the O'Reilly Using Samba text is the classic and the best. I think it's up to the 3rd edition by now. The best way to get a grip on Samba is to install it and just have at it. The configuration file is huge, but oddly logical once you get your feet wet. Don't get too distracted by GUI configs if you want to grok the little bugger. Well worth the investment of time. You'll probably have fun as well. Most people I know who got involved with Samba really enjoyed playing with it.

ANother good Samba text is Samba-3 by Example: Practical Exercises to Successful Deployment. Well worth the read once you've got the basics down.

Sorry I'm flinging text titles at you. I'm a voracious reader so I tend to have a book for just about everything. And you seem to be the intellectual type (re: your search engine thread :)) so I figured you wouldn't mind. ;D

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 05:35 PM »
Not at all - thanks for that (sounds like my credit card is in for another beating!).