topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:05 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Favorite part of the Beijing Olympics?

Opening ceremony
4 (17.4%)
Hot gymnast hunks/babes!
6 (26.1%)
Beach volleyball bums
5 (21.7%)
Fake fireworks and child singers
2 (8.7%)
Marathon runners vs. Beijing smog
2 (8.7%)
Those table tennis guys are NUTS!
1 (4.3%)
British cyclists are so fast they're blurry
3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Last post Author Topic: Favorite part of the Beijing Olympics so far?  (Read 36685 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Favorite part of the Beijing Olympics so far?
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 02:41 PM »
electronixtar - boycotting the Olympics is as easy as changing the tv channel!

Especially when roller derby's on! ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 02:48 PM »
What other sports are objectively improving in the same ways? I don't think cycling counts, because this is (at least in significant part) attributable to the technology of the bicycles.

Being from Connecticut (Go Huskies!) I'd have to say anything with women. They are truly amazing.  :Thmbsup:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 02:49 PM »
The thing about the swimming that amazes is the world records. Here's a sport that's been essentially unchanged in modern times, but every olympics the athletes are resetting the records.

How is it that athletes are getting so much better? A gold medalist swimmer from, say, 20 years ago couldn't get into the finals today. But it's not that the rules have changed (like basketball and other sports), it's that they're executing the same task better.

What other sports are objectively improving in the same ways? I don't think cycling counts, because this is (at least in significant part) attributable to the technology of the bicycles.

I don't know how accurate some of these comments from the August 11th Answers That Work blog are, but check it out: http://www.answersthatwork.com/. The post is about the result of the mens' 100m relay.

This line in particular caught my eye:

Great Britain finished last in a time that would have won them the Gold Medal at the Athens Olympics !!!

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 03:49 PM »
I think faking the fireworks and not letting the little girl singer sing because she wasn't as pretty as the other at the opening ceremony were the highlights, captured the modern day Olympic spirit perfectly I thought.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 03:50 PM »
We should have had mouser sing the opening song!

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 03:52 PM »
I don't think cycling counts, because this is (at least in significant part) attributable to the technology of the bicycles.

Maybe I spoke to soon. It seems that some are attributing improvements in swimming to swimsuit technology: http://www.latimes.c...ug13,0,6279070.story

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 03:57 PM »
Why wear a swimsuit? Wouldn't the olympics be more interesting if the swimmers wore no suits?

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 03:59 PM »
The thing about the swimming that amazes is the world records. Here's a sport that's been essentially unchanged in modern times, but every olympics the athletes are resetting the records.

How is it that athletes are getting so much better? A gold medalist swimmer from, say, 20 years ago couldn't get into the finals today. But it's not that the rules have changed (like basketball and other sports), it's that they're executing the same task better.

I think part of it is the technology at which they can determine what and how to reduce their resistance in the water.  The slow motion camera coupled with advanced fluid dynamics means that someone like Phelps knows exactly how his body and hand positions need to be to perform at his best.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 04:01 PM »
That is one of the beauties of technology. It is with computer technology advancing as it has that we are able to do things like this. Heck, they have similar technology for runners to evaluate their running styles in various conditions (windy, rain, hills, etc). Very impressive

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 04:26 PM »
veign: No Swimming as an option?

Sorry, I am biased. When you can set a world record every single time you jump in the pool, something's fishy. There have been 42 swimming world records broken (in the 24 Olympic events) in past four years. Until I see a drug screen and HGH test, I can't celebrate. It seems like after any record is broken in the US, the athlete is later found to have cheated. Now IF they had a full-out chemically-aided Games, then that might get interesting.... "In lane 4 swimming for GlaxoSmithKline, the Incredible Hulk!" Or maybe skip directly to this fellow:

tigerDM2805_468x472.jpg

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2008, 04:30 PM »
I think swimmers, and no doubt all athletes, are improving for a number of reasons, there is the technology they use, but lets face it, how much help is a swim suit really going to give you?.  Then there are improvements in diet and exercise/training methods, improvements in sports psychology and money.  People are now able to continue in sports long after people in earlier times had to go out and get a proper job.  This allows them to be full time athletes with the advantages to their performance that comes with that.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2008, 05:08 PM »
Sorry, I am biased. When you can set a world record every single time you jump in the pool, something's fishy. There have been 42 swimming world records broken (in the 24 Olympic events) in past four years.

Don't be too cynical. When the sub-4 running record was first set everyone was amazed. Mostly because science had "proven" that a human body couldn't run that fast without breaking down. But one the record was set, runner after runner started to set new records. Once the mental barrier was removed, the physical advances followed rather quickly. Same with figure skating. At one time a double was the mark of the elite. Now it's expected of every professional.

I think what you believe is possible has a something to do with it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 06:31 PM »
Once the mental barrier was removed, the physical advances followed rather quickly... I think what you believe is possible has a something to do with it.

i find myself wondering if a large part of the cause isn't what 40hz says, which is a fascinating concept.  although i suppose it might sound less fantastical if you say that mainly what is changing are the norms governing how hard people are willing to train and work out. but the suggestions by Grogy are also reasonable possibilities.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2008, 06:42 PM »
Now IF they had a full-out chemically-aided Games, then that might get interesting

Do you remember the SNL skit about the steroid olympics and weightlifting.  Very funny

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2008, 07:21 PM »
Now IF they had a full-out chemically-aided Games, then that might get interesting

Do you remember the SNL skit about the steroid olympics and weightlifting.  Very funny

No, but I played a Juicer once just because my role-playing-game-fanboy-and-good-friend was so hot on Rifts being the best RPG (evar!!) and I was roped into a wednesday night session years ago...

Quite similar I'd say...

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2008, 04:05 AM »
[CWuestefeld]: The thing about the swimming that amazes is the world records. Here's a sport that's been essentially unchanged in modern times, but every olympics the athletes are resetting the records.

Remember though, that they've added 2 outside lanes that remain empty during competition as well as increased lane width now, and the pool is twice as deep as in previous years, both of which reduce wake and resistance. Breaststrokers are now allowed to dip their head completely under water, which allowed for a longer stroke and faster time. Add in that a split stroke in the breaststroke start and turns have been added to help speed up the stroke. Backstrokers are now allowed to turn on their stomachs before the wall in order to perform a "flip-turn." Previously, they had to reach and flip backwards. Throw in the hi-tech compression suits and I'm willing to bet the swimmers of old could keep up.

Finally, do you ever think about swimming outside of the Olympics, except once every four years? Heck, throw them all in the English Channel. Those that don't drown get a medal!  :P

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2008, 05:55 AM »
Why wear a swimsuit? Wouldn't the olympics be more interesting if the swimmers wore no suits?

I'd watch the female swimming and probably spend less time looking at Phelps. . . of course, protrusions (might I call them that?) probably wouldn't be conducive to aerodynamic form.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2008, 06:54 AM »

I'd watch the female swimming and probably spend less time looking at Phelps. . . of course, protrusions (might I call them that?) probably wouldn't be conducive to aerodynamic form.

Er... the swimmers or yours?!  :o

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2008, 07:18 AM »
hahaha. So, no one likes the idea of a DonationCoder Programming Olympiad?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2008, 08:02 AM »
Well... I am a little uneasy about the clothing optional suggestions...

Seriously, though, weren't the coding snacks weekends of old sort of DC Programming Olympiads?

electronixtar

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2008, 04:00 AM »
electronixtar - boycotting the Olympics is as easy as changing the tv channel!

haha very interesting...

I think faking the fireworks and not letting the little girl singer sing because she wasn't as pretty as the other at the opening ceremony were the highlights, captured the modern day Olympic spirit perfectly I thought.

IMHO 'fake' fireworks is very understandable. No chopper could fly that fast and steady, and it's not safe to fly through fireworks exploding around your helicopter, not saying live video. The fireworks on TV is CG, but it's real in Beijing that day. Check this out: http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=wbZrI8onelg . And I heard that on NBA the narrator clearly stated that the footprints are CG. Personaly I found out it was fake on that evening live broadcast, 08/08/08. Haha. I knew the little girl is lip-sync, too. It happens a lot in China.

I think it's a HUGE improvement for China government to admit something first.

In fact the whole opening ceremony is somehow too romantic/fake, like flying Li Ning lit the flame. He used wires. :-)

I feel sympathy for the little girl who did the actual singing, too. Our government officials said it's for 'national image' considerations, haha, the exact image of China is fake. Also the critisim inside China is more severe than foreigners.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 04:16 AM by electronixtar »

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2008, 04:07 AM »
:up: :up:i like this idea.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2008, 04:15 PM »
I'm liking Worth1000's ideas for new Olympic games:
http://www.worth1000...ay=photoshop#entries
 :D

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2008, 01:06 AM »
OMG, Edvard, that is perfect!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2008, 12:34 PM »
Actually, the best thing about this Olympic competition has to be the camerawork. Here's an interesting article on the "Dive-Cam."

Now Diving: Sir Isaac Newton
Low-Tech Camera Uses
No-Tech Gravity to Drop
Viewers Into the Pool

By BARRY NEWMAN
August 13, 2008; Page A18

BEIJING -- High-tech televisual bells and whistles have carried couch-based Olympic watching way beyond the mere reality of being here. Thousands of cameras are catching the action in China -- every one of them high-definition. Yet for a feat of engineering magic that dazzles as it baffles, nothing beats the DiveCam.

On TV, a diver walks out onto a platform. The camera fixes on him. He waits. He leaps. And then -- somehow -- the camera stays with him as he plunges. In the instant it takes him to break the water's surface, the picture suddenly cuts to an underwater shot -- and we watch in disbelief as the dive culminates in a burst of bubbles.

Full story link:  http://online.wsj.co...856740339434067.html