ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Favorite part of the Beijing Olympics so far?

<< < (7/11) > >>

CWuestefeld:
I don't think cycling counts, because this is (at least in significant part) attributable to the technology of the bicycles.
-CWuestefeld (August 13, 2008, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe I spoke to soon. It seems that some are attributing improvements in swimming to swimsuit technology: http://www.latimes.com/sports/custom/extras/la-spw-olyswimrecords13-2008aug13,0,6279070.story

Josh:
Why wear a swimsuit? Wouldn't the olympics be more interesting if the swimmers wore no suits?

Veign:
The thing about the swimming that amazes is the world records. Here's a sport that's been essentially unchanged in modern times, but every olympics the athletes are resetting the records.

How is it that athletes are getting so much better? A gold medalist swimmer from, say, 20 years ago couldn't get into the finals today. But it's not that the rules have changed (like basketball and other sports), it's that they're executing the same task better.

What other sports are objectively improving in the same ways? I don't think cycling counts, because this is (at least in significant part) attributable to the technology of the bicycles.
-CWuestefeld (August 13, 2008, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think part of it is the technology at which they can determine what and how to reduce their resistance in the water.  The slow motion camera coupled with advanced fluid dynamics means that someone like Phelps knows exactly how his body and hand positions need to be to perform at his best.

Josh:
That is one of the beauties of technology. It is with computer technology advancing as it has that we are able to do things like this. Heck, they have similar technology for runners to evaluate their running styles in various conditions (windy, rain, hills, etc). Very impressive

zridling:
veign: No Swimming as an option?
--- End quote ---

Sorry, I am biased. When you can set a world record every single time you jump in the pool, something's fishy. There have been 42 swimming world records broken (in the 24 Olympic events) in past four years. Until I see a drug screen and HGH test, I can't celebrate. It seems like after any record is broken in the US, the athlete is later found to have cheated. Now IF they had a full-out chemically-aided Games, then that might get interesting.... "In lane 4 swimming for GlaxoSmithKline, the Incredible Hulk!" Or maybe skip directly to this fellow:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version