ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Favorite part of the Beijing Olympics so far?

<< < (6/11) > >>

40hz:
electronixtar - boycotting the Olympics is as easy as changing the tv channel!
-Darwin (August 13, 2008, 10:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Especially when roller derby's on! ;D

40hz:
What other sports are objectively improving in the same ways? I don't think cycling counts, because this is (at least in significant part) attributable to the technology of the bicycles.
-CWuestefeld (August 13, 2008, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Being from Connecticut (Go Huskies!) I'd have to say anything with women. They are truly amazing.  :Thmbsup:

Darwin:
The thing about the swimming that amazes is the world records. Here's a sport that's been essentially unchanged in modern times, but every olympics the athletes are resetting the records.

How is it that athletes are getting so much better? A gold medalist swimmer from, say, 20 years ago couldn't get into the finals today. But it's not that the rules have changed (like basketball and other sports), it's that they're executing the same task better.

What other sports are objectively improving in the same ways? I don't think cycling counts, because this is (at least in significant part) attributable to the technology of the bicycles.
-CWuestefeld (August 13, 2008, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know how accurate some of these comments from the August 11th Answers That Work blog are, but check it out: http://www.answersthatwork.com/. The post is about the result of the mens' 100m relay.

This line in particular caught my eye:

Great Britain finished last in a time that would have won them the Gold Medal at the Athens Olympics !!!
--- End quote ---

Grorgy:
I think faking the fireworks and not letting the little girl singer sing because she wasn't as pretty as the other at the opening ceremony were the highlights, captured the modern day Olympic spirit perfectly I thought.

Josh:
We should have had mouser sing the opening song!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version