topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Recommendation/Advice requested - synching two Outlook profiles  (Read 14204 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've found a number of third party solutions that will synchronize Outlook 2007 e-mail, contacts, notes, calender items, etc. between two computers, but no proper reviews of any of the them - which are expensive! Anybody using a solution that they are happy with? Better yet, anyone have a free way to do this? My main concern is the potential for data corruption...

The two front runners are Easy2Sync for Outlook and SynchPST

Thank you for any comments, advice, or suggestions  :)

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommendation/Advice requested - synching two Outlook profiles
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 09:48 AM »
Sorry, I don't have any solution, but I did some research recently, too, and ended up on this page. Hope that helps. I didn't choose any, the apps are either expensive or not suitable for my needs, though.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 10:16 AM »
Thanks, yksysks! I've been to that page before. I'm beginning to think that this is an issue without a good/cheap resolution. The most effusively praised app costs 50 pounds sterling, and it's subscription based to boot (albeit I'm sure that the last version you paid for will continue to work)! Anyway, as a category, these solutions are expensive and there's a lot of potential for pst corruption. In the absence of any reliable reviews (or at least in the absence of any that I've been able to turn up), I'm really hesitant to try any of them.

Anyone else have any experience in this area?

EDIT: clarity... and grammar
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:28 AM by Darwin »

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 11:50 AM »
Exactly. I didn't dare to experiment with my precious data, because I know how the PST file is fragile, so at the moment I'm quite happy with a remote access to my Outlook via LogMeIn. Not suitable for every situation, but I really enjoy it and use it on a regular basis. And it's free.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 12:18 PM »
Heh, heh - as you say "exactly"! You've clarified my point: I don't dare experiment with these various solutions (ie download and run two or thre trials) without some solid reviews... BTW another candidate on my radar is Systweak's Advanced Email Utilities.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:14 PM by Darwin »

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 02:01 PM »
Just a small link correction: Systweak's Advanced Email Utilities;)

Thanks!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 02:16 PM »
Oops! Thanks for pointing that out (and providing the correct link)  :-[ I've corrected the link in my post above... FWIW, I just tried a USB thumbdrive application and completely screwed one of my two OUtlook psts (no one surprised?). Fortunately, I had it backed up... Even so, I'm losing all enthusiasm for this venture.

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 02:30 PM »
So far it looks that we two just confirmed each other's opinion that there's no real, affordable and reliable solution. Hope someone else joins...

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 02:43 PM »
You could try 'Yadis!'
From the reviews some like it and some don't.
It seems simple enough to use to me.
And it works.
You can use the same backup across your network I would think.

http://www.codessentials.com/index.html
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:45 PM by cmpm »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 02:56 PM »
Thanks cmpm, and welcome to the discussion! FWIW, I was the architect of my own misfortune with EzOutlookSync Portable. I should have paid more attention to the trial's limitations (only backs up and syncs e-mail in the default location and I've moved mine...). Anyway, ALL my received and sent e-mail was moved to the deleted folder. Unfortunately, the program moved the folders as well and there is no way to get them out again and recreating them doesn't work.

All in all, I'm repeating a mantra to myself. It served brave Sir Robin well: "Run away, run away!".

I'll check out Yadis though, thanks for the pointer!

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 04:57 PM »
How about simply importing the PST files from each computer onto the other? If I remember correctly the import function has the option to ignore duplicates.

The other alternative (for emails at least) is to install MailStore Home on both systems and allow it to import data from both installations. It doesn't duplicate emails. You the have a very quick searchable backup of all your emails that can be periodically burned to disc. OK it won't sync your PST files but you will have quick easy access to all your email.

If you want to use MailStore Plus I would suggest that on each machine you create an extra profile in Outlook which loads the PST file from the other machine. You never need to look at the profile but it does mean that MailStore will always be able to sync emails when required.

A further idea for email sync depends on how you collect your email. If you use POP exclusively then it is simple. Tell both versions of Outlook to leave the email on the server for 90 days (or whatever time you want). That way when you Send/Receive in either version of Outlook it will leave the email to be collected by the other copy of Outlook. Again it doesn't answer other components in the PST file but it is cheap and effective. The only thing it doesn't sort out re. email is email sent in Outlook which will stick on the computer it was sent on. A way round that would be to use the Google SMTP server to send email. All email you sent is duplicated in the Sent mail folder on the google server and you can simply tag it as inbox to get Outlook to download sent mail.

You could use PIM software to sync calendar and Task lists in a similar way.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 06:00 PM »
Thanks Carol! Truth be told, I have both Outlook installations set to leave the e-mail on the server permanently (I remove messages from the server manually when my mailboxes begin to reach their limits). The main thing I want to sync is my sent mail and your Google idea sounds like it may be just the ticket. Right, off to investigate...

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 07:50 PM »
You could use Syncplicity.
2gb free should cover your sent items.
If you just sync those two files.

http://www.syncplicity.com/

You could sync the rest of the folders, but the chances of it going over 2gb is high I would think.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 08:43 PM »
I'm reading through the Synplicity website now. I have my computers networked, so am not sure if this is going to work for me. I think what I am going to do is just open the PST from one computer in the other and manually move sent items over. Anything else is just going to be overkill... Still kind of bummed about this - can't believe MS hasn't released a Powertoy to let users sync Outlook between computers. Lunacy.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 03:20 AM »
This page may help too:

http://www.slipstick...com/outlook/sync.asp

I had forgotten about slipstick but it is THE website for all things outlook.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 02:54 PM »
Heh, heh, sometimes the old way is the best way. I copied my pst to a thumbdrive, opened it in Outlook on my "other" machine and copied the three or so sent files over... I'm giving the third party software solutions a wide berth!

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 09:25 AM »
Just to note - Scooter Software, who develop Beyond Compare, has a cross-promotion on at the moment with Wisco, who develop SynchPST. I mention this more because Scooter Software is endorsing SynchPST:

We've had many users request Beyond Compare add support to synchronize individual messages between copies of Microsoft Outlook. We have no plans to add this feature to Beyond Compare, instead we recommend using SynchPST.

I've tried SynchPST in the past and couldn't get it to work out of the box (though note that in checking this story out I did read the FAQ carefully and probably missed a step or two  :-[).

Anyway, just thought I'd update people with this. I find it significant given Beyond Compare's reputation. I no longer have any use for this type of application - only running one Outlook install and back it up a number of ways, including MailStore Home - but maybe this will be of interest to others...