topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: KDE 4 out, and my, it looks gorgeous!  (Read 23010 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: KDE 4 out, and my, it looks gorgeous!
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 03:55 PM »
Interesting, Carol!

It's good to know more people are paying attention to this project, it's exactly what it needs ;)

I'm sorry to know that the shell replacement isn't available yet, though :(

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2008, 07:32 PM »
The important thing IS... Amarok is coming to Windows :D

And KOffice, and maybe I could kick out that monster called OpenOffice, and use it as office suite. And KDevelop, an IDE for a zillion languages which does not use Java. And Kopete, and, and...

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2008, 07:19 AM »
KDE was updated to 4.1 a few days ago. Arstechnica also made a few positive comments to this new release. Read more about it here: http://arstechnica.c...inux-experience.html

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2008, 01:38 PM »
It's beautiful, it's colorful, it's big and bright and all things nice...

And I just don't like the way it looks.

But that's just me. ;)

I guess if you have it up on some huge wide-screen LCD it's the cat's pajamas. But on my  12" laptop it looks like an arcade puzzle game. The performance improvements are great, but the presentation doesn't do it for me.

So now I have to figure out if I have the patience to start hacking big time to get it to be something I would like, or just stick with Xfce. Hmmmmm....

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 01:45 PM »
40 hz: Did you try 4.0? Do your think this new version is an improvement over it? Do you think 4.0 was usable? How about 4.1?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2008, 06:19 PM »
I'm with mouser on this one. In my opinion, it looks like a boring grey Windows XP theme mixed with the ugly HUGE icons from Vista.

EDIT: Just realized how old this thread is.  :-[
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 06:28 PM by Deozaan »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2008, 07:21 PM »
Haven't tired it - but the 4.1 article posted by jgpaiva above looks interesting .... although am I the only person who thinks it looks remarkably like a Vista clone?

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2008, 01:35 AM »
Wow, where'd they get those huge icons at in that article?! I like the Vista UI, but this 4.1 version has both stability and some extremely convenient shortcuts. (And this coming from someone who's used Gnome and xfce to date.)

kde41_01s.png
KDE 4 out, and my, it looks gorgeous!

click for larger

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2008, 05:13 AM »
Carol: At this point, I don't really care if they just copy each other, as long as at least one of them comes up with something half decent. Actually, to have them copying each other is a good sign, means they are looking at the others and (hopefuly) improving over what they see :)

Zaine: That walpaper is just gorgeous :D

I have mixed feeling with that new "icons" thing, I think it's useful to have it displaying several folders on the desktop, but I also think it takes quite a bit of screen real-estate, with displaying the frame and its title. Zaine: does the frame resize when you add files to the folder, or do you have to resize it yourself? (yeah, I know I could install kde4.1 myself, but I'm on vacations and can't download it while on this mobile connection :( )

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2008, 08:18 AM »
40 hz: Did you try 4.0? Do your think this new version is an improvement over it? Do you think 4.0 was usable? How about 4.1?

Tried 4.0 and thought I would never use KDE again.

Tried 4.1 and was very impressed by the improvements across the board.

I always liked the degree of control KDE afforded the end-user. I am of the school that believes you should be able to change, tweak, and tune every aspect of your desktop. Not that you should necessarily, but Linux is supposed to be all about choice right?

But I still can't get my head around the visual presentation. I don't really know what it is about the appearance of the new KDE that bothers me so much. It reminds me of Adobe AIR or the Enlightenment desktop. Everybody I know loves the look of both. I don't. And I very much dislike widgets in any way shape or form.

It probably has more to do with my individual sense of aesthetics and work style than anything rational. If you buy into NLP, my preferred representational system is auditory rather than visual. I guess that comes from my being a trained musician - and not having the world's greatest eyesight. ;D

So anytime I'm commenting on visual design issues, just take it with a grain of salt! My sister, who owns a design agency, certainly does. ;D

In the long run I'm sure KDE will turn out to be a winner. So much so that I'll probably keep an installation of it on a swappable hard drive just so I can keep on top of it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 08:24 AM by 40hz »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2008, 09:58 AM »
Thanks a lot for your opinion, 40hz :D
I can't wait to test kde 4.1 ;)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2008, 12:28 PM »
Thanks a lot for your opinion, 40hz :D
I can't wait to test kde 4.1 ;)

My pleasure. Always happy to share my misunderstandings and lack of expertise! ;D

You might want to take a look at these articles (pro):

http://www.linux.com/feature/142661

http://itmanagement....d+of+the+New+KDE.htm

http://arstechnica.c...inux-experience.html

And this one (con):

http://www.devicegur...kde-410-disappoints/

A friend pointed me to this link for an easy way to install it if you're running Ubuntu.

http://news.softpedi...ntu-8-04-91034.shtml

Can't vouch for it since I did it the hard way, like always. But friend said it worked perfectly for her. Please note she did it immediately after a clean installation from CD. Your mileage may vary if you're installing on top of an existing copy (i.e. not recommended).

Luck :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2008, 12:58 PM »
On a quasi-related note: if you're just looking for an alternate desktop to what you're using, check out this article - 20 Most Nimble and Simple X Window Managers for Linux

Link: http://www.junauza.c...simple-x-window.html

Although these are small footprint desktop managers, they don't lack in features or innovation. Some (Fluxbox et al) rival the functionality of the bigger desktops. Some of them (like Rat Poison which doesn't use a mouse at all) border on the bizarre.

And just because they're small doesn't mean they lack in eye candy. This is an example of OpenBox:

openbox.jpg

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2008, 03:54 PM »
40hz: Thanks a lot for the links!
I read the "con" review, and from what I understand, the problem was that the reviewer didn't make a clean install, just updated 4.0, or something like that. Good thing I haven't installed 4.0 on my ubuntu machine, I hope I won't have problems installing :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2008, 04:34 PM »
40hz: Thanks a lot for the links!
I read the "con" review, and from what I understand, the problem was that the reviewer didn't make a clean install, just updated 4.0, or something like that. Good thing I haven't installed 4.0 on my ubuntu machine, I hope I won't have problems installing :)

I'll burn a new incense stick in front of my stuffed penguin for you.

Best luck - and let us all know how it works out. :)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2008, 08:43 PM »
jgpaiva: no, it doesn't resize when you add items, but it does add a scrollbar automatically. Even better, you can add links to any folder and filter their view within the [desktop] folder. Pretty cool.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2008, 04:48 AM »
Zaine: Interesting! I specially like the filter view thing :)