topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 9:22 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for "Compiz for Windows" (or at least virtual desktops)  (Read 6152 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Alright, I'll admit it, I love the Desktop Wall on my Ubuntu. With school coming up I wouldn't mind hiding some things from some faculty's prying eyes, and I can't find a good virtual desktop app for Windows. I can't play anything on Ubuntu that isn't 2D, hence Windows - did I just say that? I mean, I need more space for my... notes and... homework assignments! Yea, yea, lets.. lets go with that. Anyways...ehem...

I tried Cube Desktop (I think that is the name) and it isn't working with me. It looks just like Compiz, but I need something that works; and that isn't shareware (I have a bit of a loan to my parents at the moment, -$40 currently).

I like Vista/XP Virtual Desktop Manager, but it is a bit on the slow side. 3-4 second delay isn't good when you need a switch NOW (as in about 2 seconds ago). Nothing from ~8 Google searches and ~6 software (un)installs has helped much.

Thoughts? I don't need a full blown Compiz, but I would go insane (maybe literally ;D :o :huh:) for a decent Desktop Cube or Desktop Wall that didn't lag (YODM3D/VDM).

-Brandon

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for "Compiz for Windows" (or at least virtual desktops)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 01:39 PM »
The best virtual screen manager I've used is bblean, the only problem is that it in a fall-blown shell, not just a virtual screen manager. Still, it's the faster, stabler and with better keyboard shortcuts I've found (others usually miss the 'send to next screen' shortcut).

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 02:39 PM »
A while ago, I wrote a (not so) epic mini-review on various virtual window/desktop apps for Windows.
Here: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=2485.0
I know some things have changed since then, and maybe some new apps have popped up, and I did totally ignore apps like BossKey and VirtuaWin because of lack of a "pager" thingie (I know, there's 2 pager modules for VW but I don't like either of them...).
But check it out and see if you find anything that suits you.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 06:26 PM »
Cool lil review, I looked at Deskpot but anything with the word Order in the navigation bar kind of shows a red flag for me, as I yet to have a job (16+ is the law here). I just downloaded it, now knowing that it is freeware, and will give it a spin. Have tried a few you mentioned, with mixed thoughts.