ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Linux is Not Windows

<< < (8/8)

superboyac:
...it was damn strange to have an 8Gb RAM Quad-core and it was not much faster than my old PIII.
-zridling (August 10, 2008, 04:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is THE critical issue for me.  And it is so true.  This will make me switch to Linux one day, like Zaine, I just know it.  The only thing holding me back at this point is my absolute obsession with a lot of software available on Windows, and I just don't believe I'll be satisfied yet with their "equivalents" on Linux.  But it's baffling, and a little insulting to my intelligence, to see that a fairly powerful computer can get bogged down in Windows even though I'm not really doing anything that is processor intensive.  I rarely do anything with graphics or video, I never play games.  Just email, text editing stuff, simple little programs here and there, music.  Windows is sucking the life out of a computer's power, new or old.  I have no reason not to believe that a 5 year old computer should be able to handle all the things I am currently doing in a very speedy way.  Zaine, one day, when I have a little time to breath in my schedule, I'm going to go to Linux.
Actually, when I get a new computer, I'll change the old one to Linux and test it out.  I'm almost sure that it may seem to be "faster" than the new one.

zridling:
That's what I did, superboyac, when allowed me to leave my old Windows machine intact. Baby steps!
I took his [zaine's] "Innovation shouldn't merely be driven by maximum 'cosmetic' UI consistency" as a dig, basically saying that all MS has done is make an attempt to make Windows prettier and to make that "prettiness" more uniform across the OS' various features.
--- End quote ---

Nah, don't take it as a dig. Rather I meant that Linux shouldn't bother to follow Windows' lead anymore. Let's see more innovation like KDE 4.1's plasma interface rather than waiting until Redmond does something, and then simply mimicking it. That's been done with apps throughout the history of Linux, e.g., Gimp was merely an attempt to copy the function of Photoshop; KDE 3 and earlier was merely following the Win98/XP UI, and even today it's pretty easy to install a 'Vista' theme or build it yourself to make Linux look like Vista.

And yes, I like Vista's UI better than XP's. (I just hate what they did to Windows Explorer and Solitaire, ha!)

Darwin:
Ah, thanks for clarifying that, Zaine. Sorry I mis-read your original post! Crap - what have they done to Solitaire?! I haven't gotten that far in my Vista usage (and am on my XP machine at the moment...). I actually *sort of* like the new Explorer, but feel that they didnt' go far enough. I'm more retro - bring back the dual-pane philosophy from Win 3.x! I'm still trying to understand why they got rid of it in the first place... Thank goodness for XYplorer, DOpus, etc.

Darwin:
PS I understand that XYPlorer is not dual-pane, but it is so well featured and thought out that it's HIGHLY useful! Having said that (and the points in the above post), I'm still playing with the new Explorer (though DOpus 9 is already installed and I have Total Commander, XYplorer, and others on my thumbdrive...).

jormartr:
My main desktop is Linux, but I work with windows at work, and use some special software under virtualizated windows at home.

I work in the IT, so my opinion may be not valid on this thread, as is specifically on the desktop. Obviously, on the server and services, linux is not windows, I would never even think about trying to do windows act as a server as linux does, it would fail in some areas (not all, but most of them, at least the ones I need).

On the desktop I like console and lean window managers. I don't use desktop enviorenments (like xfce, kde or gnome), but only window managers.

Even this, Linux gaves you a flexibility that windows does not, you can configure a Linux desktop to behave within different desktop aproaches. This needs a little more tweak, but you can make the desktop adapt to yourself. On other operative systems you must adapt to the desktop.

Of course one can install a preconfigured distribution and start working within some minutes after the installation is made. There is the lego comparison everywhere, but the good point about this is that if you want to modify the lego, you can. If you prefer a made system, you can get a preconfigured lego, and you can choose between a one acting like a windows desktop, other as a macos desktop, and several others like a much different desktop, new ways of interaction, all of them ready to work. I see there is still some work needed to be done on software for the final user, but it is coming day after day, final user needs every day less hand work.

This brings the choice of a prebuilt and polised desktop, or a different one that adapts to oneself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version