ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Linux is Not Windows

<< < (4/8) > >>

Josh:
I am with you mouser, each has their flaws and I am not afraid to admit a flaw to a program. This is not the case as found in a lot of sites.

40hz:
something as vain as OOXML
-Josh (August 11, 2008, 08:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps in the context that it was used. But the OOXML issue as relates to ISO's behavior was anything but. ;)

A lot of them are supported only lightly by the developers because they use the mentality "I provided this for free, support it yourself".

--- End quote ---

You say "toma-to", I say "tomah-to."

I think a lot has to do in how things get said and how they are interpreted. And also how things come across in text versus by voice. I know several FOSS developer that are amazed at the attitude of many of the people who download their software. And invariably, these "high-maintenance users" are the ones who contribute nothing (donations, debugging, code rewrites, etc) to the developer other than a list of demands for the coder to "do something because I'm using your app and I want it right now!!!"

Eventually, some developers just give up because of the cruft they get from their user base. A lot of FOSS projects have died for exactly that reason. Just goes to show that the old saying "No good deed goes unpunished." was never truer than when talking about free software.

I see nothing wrong with the attitude that, if you're giving something away, you are well within your rights to also say "You're on your own using it." This is not unique to FOSS. Because no matter what you may think, no commercial software developer has put themselves under any obligation to provide support for free.

Read the EULA of any software product you own and you will see that every published piece of software has a disclaimer and limitation of warranty. That limitation says that anything bad that happens (even if the publisher knew it would happen) is at your own risk and expense.

There is also usually a section that says the publisher is under no obligation to fix the program if it doesn't do what it is supposed to do. And furthermore, it has no implied warranty. That means that if you bought a wordprocessing application, and it doesn't do word processing, that's your tough luck. Because even though they said it was a wordprocessor - that does not imply that it can actually be used for that purpose.

It also disclaims "fitness for use." That's like saying the TV you were sold does not mean that it will actually be able to receive TV signals or that it is even designed to be used for that purpose.

So if I were to fault most FOSS developers that don't provide individual tech support for anything, I would have to fault them for not being smart enough to bury their "policy" in a bunch of legal boilerplate nobody usually bothers to read.

Edvard:
*grumble* Oh fer pete's sake, another linux<>windows post :nono2:

OK, I'll bite.
Let me begin by saying if I have personally attacked anyone regarding their choice of OS, please send me a personal message and I will reply with an honest heartfelt apology. Really. Even publicly in a forum post. I have already done so on more than one occasion.

Even though the article is a bit dated, I think the principles hold true. You could have re-titled it "Mac is not Windows" re-wrote a few key parts and it would have still made sense. Heck, you could have titled it "OS/2 is not NeXT"...
Umm, maybe...

These two quotes are beginning to give me cause for concern:
from 40Hz:
Question: Why should anybody care what somebody else has to say about their choice of an OS? If you're insulting someone about that - or you're feeling insulted in return - then you're talking about religious convictions, not technology. And that will always be a "no win" exchange of opinions.
--- End quote ---
from Zaine
You had your say; I get mine. (Unless you decree what can and can't be talked about and in what ways here on DC.)
--- End quote ---
OK, time to walk a little softer here...
WAY too many times I have seen the Windows/Linux discussion in many other locations ends up taking on the characteristics of a religious holy war but lacking many of the ethical constraints that most religions demand, and we all should be very familiar with DonationCoder's policy on discussions of that nature...

I also agree with App that the Linux community is famous for being snotty at the most inopportune moments, and for that, I wish I could personally apologize for. In any argument, being right is wonderful, being wrong kinda hurts, but a bad attitude in either situation loses everytime.

I also agree with Zaine that Humphries last statement misses the mark a bit. Personally, I think it should be re-written.
I would say "If you've got the itch to try something new and unfamilar, go ahead and try Linux. Burn yourself a Live CD and have a go. You'll be a newb, that's OK, we all were at some point. Give it a good two weeks or so, a month if you're the tenacious type. Identify problems and seek solutions. Seek them as diligently as you are capable. If you can honestly say you can live with Linux more or less comfortably, then welcome to the family. We're a bit weird and obnoxious sometimes, but I'll guarantee the Sunday picnics will never be boring again. and I personally apologize for anyone who chides you for going to visit cousin Bill next door. He's got money, and I hear he's trying to marry into the family..."

If not, then toss the CD out and return blissfully to the old comforts of Windows. There are days when I don't blame you one bit.

Darwin:
I've been on the receiving end of OS fanaticism, though never from the Linux crowd (Hint: think non-citrus fruit and cats...). It IS annoying. However, I tend to think about how my own comments likely come across. I don't go out of my way to offend, but then, I can't stand being condescended to, so when one of the "Beautiful people" makes an egregious remark about the superiority of their choice in OS (er, lifestyle?) I probably come off as far more partisan than I feel am...

40hz:
These two quotes are beginning to give me cause for concern:
from 40Hz:
Question: Why should anybody care what somebody else has to say about their choice of an OS? If you're insulting someone about that - or you're feeling insulted in return - then you're talking about religious convictions, not technology. And that will always be a "no win" exchange of opinions.

--- End quote ---
-Edvard (August 11, 2008, 12:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think either I'm not coming across the way I intended; or you might be missing the point I was trying to make.

I'm a bit surprised that Zaine's comment was lumped together with mine. That gives me cause for concern. Because to my mind, his/her comment is the polar opposite of what I was saying. So I'll try communicate better this time.

To clarify: All I am trying to say is that it is (to my mind) pointless to get into a slagging match about which operating system you like or don't like. Regardless of whether you use Windows, Linux, or Macintosh. I mean seriously - it's just plain silly. :)

And BTW Edvard: I thought I was walking softly! Pop me a private message if I've somehow offended. Maybe you can help me figure out where the meaning of my message fell apart. Still friends?  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version