ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

which operating system you like most....

<< < (5/15) > >>

mouser:
Thanks for that list Brandon -- I haven't been a big fan of Vista but somehow you've mentioned two items that i would care about (better wifi manager and better sleep system) that i've not heard about before.

I think this brings up an issue that has really bothers me about Windows and Mac, which is this focus on Accessories and Applications for the Operating System instead of the actual Operating System.  I really wish Microsoft and Apple would stop messing around with making good helper applications and focus on the core OS.  If these companies just focused on making a rock solid fast operating system, and left the damn movie making programs and word processors alone the world would be a better place.

zridling:
[mouser]: I really wish Microsoft and Apple would stop messing around with making good helper applications and focus on the core OS. If these companies just focused on making a rock solid fast operating system, and left the damn movie making programs and word processors alone the world would be a better place.
--- End quote ---

Oddly, I think the sooner Microsoft bites the bullet and scraps Windows' legacy support and creates something *ix-based like Apple did, the better off they'll be. And since I was sucker-punched with all the great features that were pulled from Vista, I won't get excited about Midori's marketing until it arrives on the desktop. Vista is simply carrying too much weight for too many disparate purposes.

mouser:
Well essentially i feel like this is the root of the problems with all of the current dominant operating systems (windows, mac osx, linux) -- they are carrying with them all of the weight of backward compatibility and legacy stuff.  I long for a new clean modern object oriented OS without all of the baggage.

karadzhov:
   This OS who is easy to work - XP Pro . Vista is 1 big step backward . MacOS and LinOkS I don't know them .  :Thmbsup:

yksyks:
I cannot agree more with Brandon. I bought a new laptop "infected" with Vista, as I wrote before, but I decided to give it a chance. And in the meantime I became a happy Vista user and even a defender. Besides what Brandon wrote there are many trifles you might overlook at first, but which make life easier. Just for an illustration--I was always terribly bugged with WinXP Explorer putting the newly created file at the end of the list and requiring refresh to position it properly. No more in Vista. The new file appears immediately just where it should be. A triviality, but it delights. And so on...

I have to mention, though, that my very first step was disabling UAC--and since then I cannot complain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version