topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: which operating system you like most....  (Read 44854 times)

kulwinder

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
which operating system you like most....
« on: August 08, 2008, 12:57 AM »
which operating system you like most? Window, Linux or MAC?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: which operating system you like most....
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 05:29 AM »
Windows - Love it, & use it daily
LinuX - It's not for the masses, but it's a lot of fun to play with.
Mac - I absolutely detest pretty things that just don't work. Trying to install a printer driver on a Mac is the most over complicated bit of nonsense I've ever seen.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 06:20 AM »
Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm copying Netflix discs, Windows has easy software for it, and Vista-SP1 seems to be as solid as XP-SP3. For daily, routine productivity, music/video, and general cloud computing, it's [KDE] Linux these days. As a result, I now resent the trouble it takes to buy a computer without the cost of pre-installed Windows.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 08:02 AM »
XP64 w/SP2 (XP64 follows 2k3 server service packs, not XP32 - so we're still on SP2) is my main OS. I'm going to get a laptop soonish, and there's probably no way around Vista then (*sigh*). Linux for server use.

I don't really like any of the current operating systems, but for me XP is definitely the least hassle for my desktop machine.
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 01:28 PM »
which operating system you like most? Window, Linux or MAC?

I have to go along with f0dder. I don't like any of them, although I pretty much use Xubuntu and Windows XP for most of my day to day stuff.

For enterprise - favorite is BSD (Free or Open depending on purpose) followed by Win2K3 server.

powerlogo.JPG

P.S. Gonna get tricky with Linux. There are several popular desktop management systems running on roughly 300 active versions of Linux out there. :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:42 PM by 40hz »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 01:45 PM »
Agree, i think all current operating systems are horrible.  I can't wait for something I will like.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 01:47 PM »
winxp64 has been very stable, so I like it alot. Not my favorite but it is definetely good work horse.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 02:08 PM »
i should say that i enjoy windows XP and the basic feel of it suits me quite well.  i just think all the major Operating Systems are horribly flawed and i just can't wait till we get a nice clean elegant modern object oriented Operating System built from the ground up without all the need to support legacy crap.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 03:28 PM »
Not to mention that most people use more than one computer and modern OSs are still NOT built with that in mind.

Some apps offer some degree of shareabilty. Most don't.

I'm now feeling the pain of trying to administer 2-3 comps and keep them in synch. But that's probably a whole new thread :)

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 03:35 PM »
I have 4 computers in the house.

Desktop PC is running Vista Home Premium SP1
Wife's laptop runs XP Media Center
My laptop from work runs OS X Leopard
My old PC is running Ubuntu Server 8.04

Of those, I prefer the desktop PC by a large margin.  My least favorite is the Mac.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 05:19 PM »
I like Windows the most, which is obvious being the OS that I use on a regular basis. I'm quite fond of XP SP3, which is what I'm running at the moment, stable as a rock, quite lean and fast enough, the apps I use make it better in my opinion, covering most of its shortcomings. I miss *somewhat* the days with Windows 98 SE, inferior OS, even more handicapped by my aging machine, but it really did a great job during all those years using it.

Vista is nice, but I'm lazy to move :P (and I need more RAM, for future proofing).

I like Linux, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for which distro I prefer (I found that it's not Knoppix, though), and OS X is cool, and its gamut of apps is really interesting (even if most of them are not freeware), but the only way I would use it (legally) is buying that dongle, and I don't need a laptop at the moment.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 02:17 PM »
I'm very satisfied with XP. It has it's quirks but I've either had enough time to get used to them or I've figured out how to tweak them to get rid of them. It's not perfect by any means, but I don't see myself upgrading to Vista just for the fun of it.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 09:03 PM »
I'm into day four with a Vista Sp-1 notebook with 3GB of RAM. Haven't even turned off the eye candy yet, which is saying something for me... So far I am actually enjoying it. Sp-1 is a great improvement over the initial Vista release, and the extra gig of RAM (my last flirtation with Vista was on a machine with "only" 2GB) and the dual Core processor means that this machine is much punchier than my XP notebook.

Thus, I now have five computers - four notebooks and a desktop running: OS-X 10.2 (no longer remember the feline name), OS-X Tiger (on the desktop - iMac), Win2k Sp-4, Win XP Sp-3 and Vista Sp-1. Agree with StoicJoker about setting up a printer in Tiger. N-I-G-H-TM-A-R-E. Would like to add that for all the kudos thrown Apple's way for their solution to legacy support in OS-X, it stinks (IMNHO), though it is much better in 10.4 than it was in 10.2... Having said that, I like OS-X a lot, but have yet to have any sort of a "Eureka" moment with it wherein I become a convert.

Win XP Sp-3 is my current favourite, but then, that's what I've been using as my main OS for four years and I have tweaked into a very stable and responsive installation. I should have transitioned to Vista by the end of next week and will be in a better position to evaluate after that. For now, my WinXP machine is still my workhorse.

I have Ubuntu 7.1 (not the latest 8.x release, I know) loaded onto the Win2k machine, but haven't really played with it too much. When I have played with it, though, I've been VERY impressed with how easy it is to set up and use. Once I'm settled into my Vista machine I might dual boot it with the latest Ubuntu, as it has two and half times the harddrive capacity of anything else that I own - might as well put it to work!

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 09:36 PM »
I'm pretty happy with Win XP and can't really face the thought of having to learn something different... I must be getting old!

Ampa

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 09:40 PM »
I'm pretty happy with Win XP and can't really face the thought of having to learn something different... I must be getting old!

Ampa

Me too Ampa  ;D , though I will upgrade to Vista when I get a new computer, unless Vista's replacement is out and about!

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 01:01 AM »
I've put in so much time and effort into my current XP setup (been working on it for years, but keeping it clutter-free thanks to Drive "SaveGame" Imaging), I can't bear the thought of moving to anything else. It'd take me months to just get up to par, NTM incompatibilities, etc that are a certainty while migrating OSs. I've even lost the urge to upgrade hardware coz everything just _works_.

NSFW
Spoiler
Upgrading to Windows Vista is about as alluring as that rotting hobo at the train station offering the kids "free" fellatio in Stephen King's It, except in this case you have the privilege of paying.  ;)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 01:36 AM »
Orb:
I love Vista. 3 PCs in the house run it, my personal machine running it best (2GB, single core too). Only problem is the desktop HP in the house that was "Designed for Windows XP. Windows Vista Compatible." that will NOT install SP1 even if you were to reformat it 2x (speaking of experience).

Flag:
XP is OK, but I don't like it at all anymore VS Vista. My HP laptop runs XP SP3, and I just feel sad that I can't get Vista on it yet (512MB ram, the poor thing). Once you find out all the little extra stuff you couldn't do in XP that you CAN do in Vista, you won't go back.

Penguin:
My primary box is dual boot Vista SP1/Xubuntu 8.04.1, and I like Xubuntu as well (although it does not like Compiz, so I don't have that, switching to standard Ubuntu soon). The HP laptop runs Ubuntu 8.04 with Compiz like a champ, and I have it setup to look like Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) to tease my Mac-loving teachers at school. (The joys of "Hi, I'm a Mac. And I'm a PC." :-* ;D)

Across the board:
Vista: 5/5 (If you hate it, you havn't run it on a system good enough to support it; it runs amazing)
XP: 3.5/5 (It is aging fast, and if your into games (me) DX9 doesn't cut the cake anymore)
Ubuntu 4/5 (WINE won't run my games, plus it boots SLOWER than Vista! It is like a real Mac! ;D Just kidding *cough* not *cough*, don't kill me fanboys! ;))
Xubuntu 4.5/5 (it runs great, and faster than Ubuntu, but it lacks an easy Compiz setup)

Side note: I am total anti-mac, and pro Windows/Linux. Just my opinion.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 01:58 AM »
Once you find out all the little extra stuff you couldn't do in XP that you CAN do in Vista, you won't go back.

Could you elaborate on this, Brandon? I tend to be a bit close-minded sometimes but from what little I know about Vista there seems to be nothing that XP (+ the right 3rd party utility) can't do that Vista can. I know there are some serious core architecture changes + DX10 support but what can Vista (exclusively) do that'll affect my day to day use?

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 02:29 AM »
For instance, in Vista's Disk Management console snap-in, you can now shrink and expand partitions (whereas in XP, you had to use Parted Magic or a similar tool, or reformat altogether). The Disk Cleanup tool is improved very much.

Those are the only two major things off the top of my head (its a bit late here) but you can't forget the little things like the volume icon, the improved network status icon, improved Windows Firewall and Security Center, Windows Defender integration, the IE7 Vista-only stuff, Parental Controls, and the new start menu... I love this start menu... :-*

And all the visual tweaks that you would need WindowBlinds or something of the like to do is always nice. And you lose the Web Desktop (targeted by tons of viruses) and gain the ability to play video and similar things on the desktop (StarDock has a program to do that for Vista Ultimate, and I have a program to make a screensaver my desktop).

The sleep mode in vista totally obliterates XP's wannabe Stand By mode (major plus for mobile users). While talking about mobile, you have the all-in-one Mobility Center, and the improved Tablet PC controls. And it improves power consumption, and has a smarter Hibernate mode.

Then you have the "self healing" thing, where Windows tells you if there is a problem and even gives you, in laymans terms, information about the problem and, if possible, a link to a KB article for help and/or the publishers website. And you can check back at any time to see if there is a solution, if Vista doesn't tell you automatically. Cmon, that just beats the crap out of XP's "Send Report" option.

Automatic updates: You don't see them. Finally, it is actually automatic. And it doesn't slow you down!

The wifi, you can not beat the wifi manager on Vista. It just works. You click your network icon, click to see your networks within range, double click the desired one, and your done - and if there is a problem (wire/less) the new diagnostic tool actually does scanning to check for problems: no more, disable, enable, connect, renew IP, clear DNS, and "your fixed". It actually helps you troubleshoot!!

I could go on and on, especially about AERO (that is a 10 page long post in itself, don't get me started), but that's quite a bit of things that make Vista superior to XP.

(This was a small post turned into a speech, but it points out some/most what Vista has over XP)

I am off to play with my Flip3D and Switcher :)

-Brandon

EDIT: Bold-ed "day-to-day" things
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 02:38 AM by wreckedcarzz »

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 03:15 AM »
OK, can't say I agree about Vista's superiority, but genuinely appreciate your response Response. So, thanks! :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 04:13 AM »
Thanks for that list Brandon -- I haven't been a big fan of Vista but somehow you've mentioned two items that i would care about (better wifi manager and better sleep system) that i've not heard about before.

I think this brings up an issue that has really bothers me about Windows and Mac, which is this focus on Accessories and Applications for the Operating System instead of the actual Operating System.  I really wish Microsoft and Apple would stop messing around with making good helper applications and focus on the core OS.  If these companies just focused on making a rock solid fast operating system, and left the damn movie making programs and word processors alone the world would be a better place.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 04:44 AM »
[mouser]: I really wish Microsoft and Apple would stop messing around with making good helper applications and focus on the core OS. If these companies just focused on making a rock solid fast operating system, and left the damn movie making programs and word processors alone the world would be a better place.

Oddly, I think the sooner Microsoft bites the bullet and scraps Windows' legacy support and creates something *ix-based like Apple did, the better off they'll be. And since I was sucker-punched with all the great features that were pulled from Vista, I won't get excited about Midori's marketing until it arrives on the desktop. Vista is simply carrying too much weight for too many disparate purposes.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 04:55 AM »
Well essentially i feel like this is the root of the problems with all of the current dominant operating systems (windows, mac osx, linux) -- they are carrying with them all of the weight of backward compatibility and legacy stuff.  I long for a new clean modern object oriented OS without all of the baggage.

karadzhov

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 05:18 AM »
   This OS who is easy to work - XP Pro . Vista is 1 big step backward . MacOS and LinOkS I don't know them .  :Thmbsup:

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 05:53 AM »
I cannot agree more with Brandon. I bought a new laptop "infected" with Vista, as I wrote before, but I decided to give it a chance. And in the meantime I became a happy Vista user and even a defender. Besides what Brandon wrote there are many trifles you might overlook at first, but which make life easier. Just for an illustration--I was always terribly bugged with WinXP Explorer putting the newly created file at the end of the list and requiring refresh to position it properly. No more in Vista. The new file appears immediately just where it should be. A triviality, but it delights. And so on...

I have to mention, though, that my very first step was disabling UAC--and since then I cannot complain.