ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

which operating system you like most....

<< < (4/15) > >>

nosh:
I've put in so much time and effort into my current XP setup (been working on it for years, but keeping it clutter-free thanks to Drive "SaveGame" Imaging), I can't bear the thought of moving to anything else. It'd take me months to just get up to par, NTM incompatibilities, etc that are a certainty while migrating OSs. I've even lost the urge to upgrade hardware coz everything just _works_.

NSFW
SpoilerUpgrading to Windows Vista is about as alluring as that rotting hobo at the train station offering the kids "free" fellatio in Stephen King's It, except in this case you have the privilege of paying.  ;)

wreckedcarzz:
Orb:
I love Vista. 3 PCs in the house run it, my personal machine running it best (2GB, single core too). Only problem is the desktop HP in the house that was "Designed for Windows XP. Windows Vista Compatible." that will NOT install SP1 even if you were to reformat it 2x (speaking of experience).

Flag:
XP is OK, but I don't like it at all anymore VS Vista. My HP laptop runs XP SP3, and I just feel sad that I can't get Vista on it yet (512MB ram, the poor thing). Once you find out all the little extra stuff you couldn't do in XP that you CAN do in Vista, you won't go back.

Penguin:
My primary box is dual boot Vista SP1/Xubuntu 8.04.1, and I like Xubuntu as well (although it does not like Compiz, so I don't have that, switching to standard Ubuntu soon). The HP laptop runs Ubuntu 8.04 with Compiz like a champ, and I have it setup to look like Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) to tease my Mac-loving teachers at school. (The joys of "Hi, I'm a Mac. And I'm a PC." :-* ;D)

Across the board:
Vista: 5/5 (If you hate it, you havn't run it on a system good enough to support it; it runs amazing)
XP: 3.5/5 (It is aging fast, and if your into games (me) DX9 doesn't cut the cake anymore)
Ubuntu 4/5 (WINE won't run my games, plus it boots SLOWER than Vista! It is like a real Mac! ;D Just kidding *cough* not *cough*, don't kill me fanboys! ;))
Xubuntu 4.5/5 (it runs great, and faster than Ubuntu, but it lacks an easy Compiz setup)

Side note: I am total anti-mac, and pro Windows/Linux. Just my opinion.

nosh:
Once you find out all the little extra stuff you couldn't do in XP that you CAN do in Vista, you won't go back.
-wreckedcarzz (August 10, 2008, 01:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Could you elaborate on this, Brandon? I tend to be a bit close-minded sometimes but from what little I know about Vista there seems to be nothing that XP (+ the right 3rd party utility) can't do that Vista can. I know there are some serious core architecture changes + DX10 support but what can Vista (exclusively) do that'll affect my day to day use?

wreckedcarzz:
For instance, in Vista's Disk Management console snap-in, you can now shrink and expand partitions (whereas in XP, you had to use Parted Magic or a similar tool, or reformat altogether). The Disk Cleanup tool is improved very much.

Those are the only two major things off the top of my head (its a bit late here) but you can't forget the little things like the volume icon, the improved network status icon, improved Windows Firewall and Security Center, Windows Defender integration, the IE7 Vista-only stuff, Parental Controls, and the new start menu... I love this start menu... :-*

And all the visual tweaks that you would need WindowBlinds or something of the like to do is always nice. And you lose the Web Desktop (targeted by tons of viruses) and gain the ability to play video and similar things on the desktop (StarDock has a program to do that for Vista Ultimate, and I have a program to make a screensaver my desktop).

The sleep mode in vista totally obliterates XP's wannabe Stand By mode (major plus for mobile users). While talking about mobile, you have the all-in-one Mobility Center, and the improved Tablet PC controls. And it improves power consumption, and has a smarter Hibernate mode.

Then you have the "self healing" thing, where Windows tells you if there is a problem and even gives you, in laymans terms, information about the problem and, if possible, a link to a KB article for help and/or the publishers website. And you can check back at any time to see if there is a solution, if Vista doesn't tell you automatically. Cmon, that just beats the crap out of XP's "Send Report" option.

Automatic updates: You don't see them. Finally, it is actually automatic. And it doesn't slow you down!

The wifi, you can not beat the wifi manager on Vista. It just works. You click your network icon, click to see your networks within range, double click the desired one, and your done - and if there is a problem (wire/less) the new diagnostic tool actually does scanning to check for problems: no more, disable, enable, connect, renew IP, clear DNS, and "your fixed". It actually helps you troubleshoot!!

I could go on and on, especially about AERO (that is a 10 page long post in itself, don't get me started), but that's quite a bit of things that make Vista superior to XP.

(This was a small post turned into a speech, but it points out some/most what Vista has over XP)

I am off to play with my Flip3D and Switcher :)

-Brandon

EDIT: Bold-ed "day-to-day" things

nosh:
OK, can't say I agree about Vista's superiority, but genuinely appreciate your response Response. So, thanks! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version