ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What printer?

<< < (5/7) > >>

techidave:

Also, never "update" a USB printer driver (I don't care what the book says... ;)).

-Stoic Joker (August 08, 2008, 07:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

So what is the reason for not updating a USB printer??

Lashiec:
So what is the reason for not updating a USB printer??
-techidave (August 12, 2008, 05:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

For all things involving drivers is better to do a clean install (if possible) to avoid random problems. For example, I had a problem with missing DLLs after updating my HP printer drivers quite some time ago. Not that printer makers update their drivers often anyway.

Target:
and given the mess left by the HP software I'd have to say that I'd really have to need to update to do this...

jojo99:
I have a Brother HL-5250DN mono laser which is rock solid.  And I love the duplex capability which I think is a must for anyone to get.

For color, I picked up a Canon IP4500 a few months back for US$90 on Amazon (probably cheaper now).  Works great.  And Canon support is terrific (I have a Canon digital camera also).  They have an 800 number and the people you speak to are usually very knowledgeable.

Perry Mowbray:
We are looking at a Canon MP610 as a replacement - seems to be somewhere in the middle of the available range quality wise, but only time will tell
-Target (August 11, 2008, 12:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

We bought a MP610 a couple of weeks ago and we're very happy with it (although we don't expect our printing to be perfect).

It's the first Canon we've bought. I like lots of people started life with an HP, the current Canon replaces an Epsom that died far too early for my liking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version