ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What printer?

(1/7) > >>

Target:
I'm looking to buy a new printer and wondered what others might be using, or more importantly, be prepared to recommend

I guess we're looking at an all-in-one type machine, and probably at the 'budget' end of the range (<$200AUD) which may or may not help...

some background - we purchased a HP 4280 all in one last Xmas, but it's performance has been far from stellar.

Print quality is pretty ordinary (even for text) and the software is worthless (eg attempting to use any of the supplied software results in a BSOD, attempting to use the built in card readers results in a BSOD, it routinely attempts to dial home regardless of any settings to the contrary, and it randomly reinstalls itself - there are currently 3 or 4 copies of the printer installed...)

It's installed on my wifes PC which is (currently) running Vista, which may be some of the problem, though I have no real way of knowing...

hmmm, somewhere along the way this has turned into a rant... it doesn't matter now as we're going to return it...

Anyways, over to you guys, any/all ideas/suggestions/feedback appreciated 

cranioscopical:
For printers at a modest price point:

For monochrome laser printing I always choose H-P, and I always use a stand-alone printer, not all-in-one.
I've used H-P LaserJets for years and cannot fault their durability and print quality (currently using a LaserJet 2420).

I'm on my second Canon all-in-one ink-jet (the previous one fried when I carelessly left it connected during a big storm -- it was working perfectly).
The replacement model is a Pixma MX850.  I find the price astonishingly reasonable (around $250 Canadian).  The MX850 copies, faxes, prints, and scans at levels that are perfectly acceptable for small-business use.  It has two alternate paper feeds so you don't have to stop and switch stock.  One is an in-board paper cassette, the other a rear-feed paper tray.  The choice of feed is software or hardware selectable. 

The software that relates to basic functioning works flawlessly, as did that included with the previous version.  (I didn't even investiate whatever other applications came with the machine.)   If you want an inkjet, I can't recommend the Canons too highly.

If you want really good photo reproduction you'll need to go for a dedicated printer that puts that function first (I use Epsons for that).  That said, the Canon is better at photo reproduction that it ought to be at this price point.

Hope you find what you need!

mouser:
I love my brother laser printer with duplex and network ($174 how can you beat that)
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-5250DN-Network-Printer-Duplex/dp/B000BQ535K

I got burned too many times by hp printers to ever buy from them again.  they used to be great back in the early days now i avoid them.

As for color inkjet, canon all the way.

ps:
if you do significant amount of text printing i definitely recommend a laser+inkjet separate printers.

Target:
cool, though both those printers are somewhere between $350-$450 locally

I must say i have been leaning toward the canon's (we bought the HP based on previous experience, and likewise avoided the canons...too bad)

me, I rarely print anything, SWMBO on the other hand...

cranioscopical:
if you do significant amount of text printing i definitely recommend a laser+inkjet separate printers.-mouser (August 06, 2008, 09:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
I couldn't agree more!

Which reminds me, about 18 months ago I bought my wife a little Samsung 2010 (laser) for about $80 on sale.  That does a very creditable job as a text-only monochrome printer.  Small footprint, quiet...  I never hear anything about it, which is good news (I hear all about stuff that's problematic).  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version