ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

LifeHacker: Debunking Common Windows Performance Tweaking Myths

(1/2) > >>

mouser:
There is an unusually long and original post over at LifeHacker today discussing some common tweaks people use to speed up Windows, and which the author does not recommend.  Very useful and it would be nice to hear some feedback from donationcoder readers.

As a tech writer, one of my biggest pet peeves is the plethora of bad advice littered across almost every web site dedicated to system tweaking. Besides the tweaks that simply don't work, some of them will actually cause your computer to run even slower—or worse. Let's examine some of the most offensive myths out there regarding PC performance tweaking, and debunk them once and for all.

--- End quote ---

http://lifehacker.com/5033518/debunking-common-windows-performance-tweaking-myths

lanux128:
i always was of the opinion that the hardware drives the PC, hence one should be beefing up their RAM & GPU - two main components and to a lesser extent, hard drive. earlier this year, i upgraded my current PC (WinXP) to 2GB of RAM and a Geforce 8600GT and the performance just went up nicely.

f0dder:
I did a quick scan of the article (have to leave for work soon), and at least it seems like the topics touched actually are pretty irrelevant - unlike that "xp myths" thing we had a heated thread about some time ago.

icekin:
Speaking of myths, look what I found at freewaregenius today:Minimem Review

Direct Link to Minimem Program

I would like to know if this is a real memory optimizer or another program that causes unnecessary paging of memory to disk.

f0dder:
Any program that trims memory causes unnecessary paging, period.

But at least that program probably does the SetProcessWorkingSetSize trick instead of (lamely!) allocating a big chunk of memory. Still wouldn't recommend it though, windows itself will trim applications as necessary. Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version