topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Unresponsive Farr  (Read 8105 times)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Unresponsive Farr
« on: August 05, 2008, 10:01 PM »
I am sorry I cannot provide any details about this condition. When Farr is in this condition it does not accept any aliases or keywords and shows no sign of life. Only thing I know is I get this once in a while. Only solution is to restart Farr when I get it (once or twice a day). One thing that is consistent about this issue is the text that Farr shows "type agroups to list all aliases". When I have this I cannot close farr at all I mean exiting the app. I need to kill it via task manager.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Unresponsive Farr
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 06:11 PM »
once or twice a day(!) that is unacceptable.

i see there is some text in the searchbox.. is that text that you typed in when it appeared on screen before it hung? or is it text from a prior search?

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 06:21 PM »
I typed "notepad" to show you that nothing comes up. Normally it should search and list you know.

When it hangs or becomes unresponsive, it is not like application crash or freezing. It is just that it stops bringing any result. I can actually click on preferences and open it. So definetely Farr is stable in memory but no activity.

I cannot pinpoint the pattern. But generally this happens when I have special shortcut version of Farr with "copy selected text" enabled.

I am under 64bit xp.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 07:25 PM by kartal »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 07:23 PM »
ok thats a good hint.. i will look into it.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 04:27 AM »
@mouser,

i think it could be a focusing problem
i've already seen something similar at some point of FARR developement
maybe the wrong view mode is shown...

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 11:07 AM »
Another culprit could be the internal html view as well. One alias I use frequently  uses html viewer (with copy text option in its shortcut) and that one fails Farr quite alot.

when Farr becomes unresponsive I cannot actually use "exit" to quit. It just does not work. I need to use task manager to kill farr process.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 10:56 PM »
Mouser, I was wrong about farr being stable. Actually it looks like cpu usages hikes. I have 4 cpus I did not feel it but my task manager shows high usage when Farr is in this state.

cspeirce

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 03:34 AM »
Hi,
i don't know if this is related, but i recently also have a problem with Farr being unresponsive. it says "Searching Alias ..." and hangs up (well: i can type something, but it doesn't respond to it at all). Task Manager shows processor usage of well above 70% for farr-process. It might have something to do with table search plugin, but i can't really pinpoint the problem, because its working most of the time. Error still occurs quite often.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 07:47 AM »
Well these are definitely more clues that FARR is getting stuck in some kind of loop it can't get out of.. The question is what.

I may send you to a special build of the program that creates a debug log if you are willing.. The trick will be to run FARR until it enters that state and then send me the log.  That would provide a major clue.

Another thing that would be useful might be to try disabling all your plugins, and see if you can get the problem to occur at least once in this non-plugin loaded state, just so we can figure out if the problem is related to any of the plugins or not.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 10:12 AM »
sounds similar to my Farr problem.

Hi,
i don't know if this is related, but i recently also have a problem with Farr being unresponsive. it says "Searching Alias ..." and hangs up (well: i can type something, but it doesn't respond to it at all). Task Manager shows processor usage of well above 70% for farr-process. It might have something to do with table search plugin, but i can't really pinpoint the problem, because its working most of the time. Error still occurs quite often.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 10:12 AM »
Mouser, let me know when you have a debug version.

cspeirce

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 04:36 AM »
I would try the debug version, too.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 08:58 PM »
It looks like the Farrsubscript plugin might be a culprit. Couple times I tried enabling disabling FSS and Farr got into this soulless unresponsive mode. So I am guessing it haas more to do with the way Farr handles jscript?

I tried to tuse Czb pack calculator every couple times it turns Farr into unresponsive windows and I cannot even close the Farr window, needs killing inside task manager. I guess that might explain why Farr gets into this mode after looking at couple websites, at least here on my system.

Just some clues

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 09:01 PM by kartal »