ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

[request] "Fuzzy search" only after first character

(1/2) > >>

TucknDar:
Don't know if that topic subject made much sense, but let me explain. Non-contiguous pattern matching (i.e. fuzzy search) is very useful, but I find myself only using it like this: Search for Movie Collector, type 'mocoll' or similar, not like this: 'vicoll' (both match). Ok, that didn't make much sense either  :wallbash: The difference is that in the way I search, I always use the first character of what I'm searching for, in this example that is of course 'm'. So my request is that as an option, the non-contiguous pattern matching should only match results that has the same first character as I typed!

Did I finally make sense?

Type: 'mocoll' would match 'Movie Collector', 'more collages.doc', 'more cool lettuce.xls' (fictional...), etc, but not 'emoticon collection', 'grandmother's cold lobster soup.doc' or similar (great examples, huh).

mouser:
i can make an option for this.. in fact farr knows about this basic pattern and uses it to bias scores efficiently (it's always looking for FIRSTLETTER*REMAINDER and giving highest scores to those).

however there are other things that make it difficult to make your request a default (i can make it an option though).  because other common ways to non-contiguous search:

* First letter from each syllable/word: MSO (for microsoft office)
* Some shortcuts have an extra word at front (like Mozilla Firefox), and so searching for ffox wouldnt find it in your case.
but like i said i'm happy to add more options to reduce the noise of such searches.
the other thing i could do is reallly bias cases like you describe where first letter matches first letter of search, and give that a much higher score.

TucknDar:
Yes, i can see what you mean. I'd really like the option, although being able to bias first letter matches much more could be worth looking at as well. I guess you're right about such cases as Mozilla Firefox, as most Microsoft products would fall in that "trap" as well. I still think I'd turn that option on, as typing 'fire' would still put Firefox at the top, as would 'word', 'excel' etc.

d4ni:
lol I never realized farr actually has fuzzy search :D but good to know. making it an option is fine, just don't make it default as I am sure some people wouldn't like it, like myself :)

herojoker:
@d4ni: It is an option, called "Score non-contiguous matches" on the "Search Behavior" page.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version