topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:45 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: InstallSafe $7.50  (Read 5703 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
InstallSafe $7.50
« on: August 04, 2008, 03:51 AM »
I didn't know about InstallSafe, until today's newsletter from Bits du Jour told about it.

Deal Available: 7 AUG 2008, THURSDAY = $7.50 (against the normal $14.99)

InstallSafe allows you to take proactive, pre-emptive steps against this inevitability by making it as simple as possible to 'roll back' your system to point in time when it was stable.

With razor precision, InstallSafe minutely tracks every teeny-tiny thing that gets changed between the installation start and the installation end. This means that every change is tied to a particular application, so if and when you need to roll back, InstallSafe will only undo the changes it needs to, minimizing the chances of rolling back any other installation.

Best of all, InstallSafe only makes backups of your system files,
-Bits du Jour

My problem with the other programs that I already have for the same job   is, that they are handling this job fine but utterly  S L O W  - I can literally take the dog for a walk both before installing a new program, and after installation! Did any of you try this InstallSafe and can tell how well / fast / slow it is performing?
 :tellme:

Well, at $7.50 it should be affordable to test it out, I guess. But InstallSafe doesn't yet seem to have a homepage of its own; and how can $14.95 then be a "normal" price, if the program not yet has been offered for sale anywhere? (Edited: I can now see it has been offered via the traditional big sites, download.com, etcetera.) Did you ever come across this program before?
ยง icon_question.gif
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 04:12 AM by Curt »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: InstallSafe $7.50
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 03:57 AM »
I'd be interested to hear how this works as well.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 05:51 AM »
I am unable to tell how it performed, because it didn't! Despite a reboot, I never was able to get any further than this:

error.gif

Before I came this far, I was thinking "it is good that my friends (here in CPH.DK, not on DC) not are to install this program. If possible, they know even less than I do about IT, so they would for certain loose track of the program already during installation!" You download a downloader, which downloads a zip container, both default directories are some deep down hidden "temp" folders. My friends would say "I downloaded it and clicked a button, but now I cannot find it!"

After installation to \CADENCE, I found a shortcut in "Start > All Programs > InstallSafe > Install using InstallSafe" only - no shortcuts were created on the desktop or in the Quick Launch area.

There is no writing to the context menu.

The author has tried to make the program nice looking, by using fonts created for documents, but I think it is a little difficult to read:

image001.pngInstallSafe $7.50

The program's major feature should be the ability to "roll back". Nevertheless you cannot tell it to create a backup restoration point, without installing a program at the same time. There is no "create backup point now!"

You need to activate the program yourself every time you want to use it. And then you will need to navigate the program to the new installer in the traditional way. But at least it will remember the directory.

I am not sure if $7.50 is a bargain - I will will not purchase it.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 12:29 PM »
Thanks for letting us know, Curt!

Looks like a no-go then...

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 01:30 PM »
The outfit selling InstallSafe (Cadence Data Soft) also had a different product (Network Copy Protection) sold on BDJ back in February '08:  http://www.bitsdujou...copy-protection-102/

Back then their website worked only in IE - trying to access it with Firefox or Opera resulted in a blank page.   Now they have nothing but a '"Coming soon..." page.  An outfit that can't even get their website to a basic level of functionality is one I would not consider risking even a measly $7.50 on.

cadence

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 11:46 PM »
we have moved to http://storage.cadencedatasoft.com/. hardcoded URLs will be updated in upcoming releases.