topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Scam? Regnow Extended Download Service  (Read 14087 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Scam? Regnow Extended Download Service
« on: August 04, 2008, 02:49 AM »
I was just using RegNow to buy something, and there's a $7 charge (optional, but default included) for "Extended Download Service".  I'm wondering what this is, so I click on the info for it and it says:
Because Not Everything Goes As It Should.

Think of this as your digital safety net for those unexpected occurrences - like your hard drive frying or a virus infection. EDS means that with the purchase of your digital product, we'll keep a copy of your file for ONE FULL YEAR. You'll gain peace of mind knowing that we have your program stored and ready for you to download again [for FREE] at your convenience once your computer is up and running again.

A little extra insurance on your order to keep your products safe? Why not!

For full terms and conditions, click here

What the heck is this mumbo jumbo?  I'm an intelligent, literate person and that explanation makes little sense to me.  They keep a file for me?  What file?  My registration code?  My confirmation email?  What could they possibly keep that I can't just email or contact the company I'm buying from and get it from them (in case there was a problem)?

Seems fishy to me.  Keep an eye out people for this when you buy from regnow.  I'm sure most of the people here do anyway.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Scam? Regnow Extended Download Service
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 04:00 AM »
I think it just means that the download (yourpurchasedprogram_setup.exe) is stored for you to download whenever. Which is basically useless... since pretty much all programs can be downloaded for free and it's only your license that would "get lost" with a fried hard drive.

So IMO it's not a downright scam, but... scamISH :huh:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 06:24 AM »
i consider this very scamish.. preying upon people who don't know any better.  not cool.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 06:32 AM »
I dunno, maybe it's like Steam, when I wipe my drive I can re-install Steam and all my games download.  Read the fine print and see if they store your license info for you also.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 06:39 AM »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 07:01 AM »
Thanks for that link josh, i remembered we discussed this before.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 07:59 AM »
I don't think it is really a scam. I have bought software before that could be downloaded at the time of purchase but only an unlockable trial version was available from the website.

Where I do think it is a bit dubious is where the publisher does provide free downloads and updates directly after purchase. Having said that I think the publishers should complain and possibly find an alternative sales method - they are being scammed more.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 01:32 PM »
Whoops, didn't notice that the thread is redundant!  Thanks Josh.

Geez, if this were another forum, I know I'd be attacked for starting a redundant thread.  That's why I love it here.  Everyone's so nice!

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 02:02 PM »
Whoops, didn't notice that the thread is redundant!  Thanks Josh.

Geez, if this were another forum, I know I'd be attacked for starting a redundant thread.  That's why I love it here.  Everyone's so nice!
Shut up!

:-[

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 02:20 AM »
All of the software payment sites that start with "Reg" are scammers!  RegSoft, RegNow, RegNet.  All part of Digital River.  Another affiliate of DR is ShareIt!, which marks up their conversion rates without mentioning it.  And all of the DR "Reg" sites claim that they now accept PayPal payments - but they really don't want you to use it.  Three purchases with them (Two w/RegSoft, one with RegNet) where I used PayPal, the payment did not go through - so they claimed - and insisted that I pay again at their site using a credit card.  Twice I had to get PayPal to contact them to prove that they were paid by PayPal already.

In each case they told me that this wouldn't be a problem if I paid with a credit card directly to them instead of using PayPal.  Then why do they offer it?!?!

Jim

Merida

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 10:03 AM »
Digital River introduced this as registration backup service and it is utter and embarrassing scam. They just keep your license key which they do anyway. It is plain ripp off and you should always remove it from your shopping basket.

Merida