ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Scam? Regnow Extended Download Service

(1/3) > >>

superboyac:
I was just using RegNow to buy something, and there's a $7 charge (optional, but default included) for "Extended Download Service".  I'm wondering what this is, so I click on the info for it and it says:
Because Not Everything Goes As It Should.

Think of this as your digital safety net for those unexpected occurrences - like your hard drive frying or a virus infection. EDS means that with the purchase of your digital product, we'll keep a copy of your file for ONE FULL YEAR. You'll gain peace of mind knowing that we have your program stored and ready for you to download again [for FREE] at your convenience once your computer is up and running again.

A little extra insurance on your order to keep your products safe? Why not!

For full terms and conditions, click here
--- End quote ---

What the heck is this mumbo jumbo?  I'm an intelligent, literate person and that explanation makes little sense to me.  They keep a file for me?  What file?  My registration code?  My confirmation email?  What could they possibly keep that I can't just email or contact the company I'm buying from and get it from them (in case there was a problem)?

Seems fishy to me.  Keep an eye out people for this when you buy from regnow.  I'm sure most of the people here do anyway.

TucknDar:
I think it just means that the download (yourpurchasedprogram_setup.exe) is stored for you to download whenever. Which is basically useless... since pretty much all programs can be downloaded for free and it's only your license that would "get lost" with a fried hard drive.

So IMO it's not a downright scam, but... scamISH :huh:

mouser:
i consider this very scamish.. preying upon people who don't know any better.  not cool.

y0himba:
I dunno, maybe it's like Steam, when I wipe my drive I can re-install Steam and all my games download.  Read the fine print and see if they store your license info for you also.

Josh:
Similar thread

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version