ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera and google. Incompatible as ever

(1/2) > >>

urlwolf:
I use IMAP gmail from opera M2.
Right now, I cannot access my mail, it says 'Invalid credentials'.

So I try to go to the actual page. It opens just fine with the same username and password. But then, any action like going back to inbox gets an 'still working' message for ... minutes.

First, I need to point out Opera's general bugginess when working with anything google makes. Or more so, with anything that has javascript on it. This is getting to the point that one never knows if what you see is the default behavior or some weird interaction. Result: I trust Opera less and less, to the point that I'm thinking about abandoning it (being an user since v. 5).

Second, using free software (gmail, Opera) has one big downside: where do you go for support? You can of course post in forums, but if your issue is unresolved (nobody knows the solution) you are on your own.

Back in the day, I paid for opera and got support by mail. Nowadays the situation is a lot worse. It's forums post, and pray.

Same for gmail: where do I go for support? They just redirect you to their help files.

My browser and mail are critical for me. I cannot afford to be without good support. And I'm not even a business: I can imagine how stressing it can be for corporations.

Although, now that I think of it I have 1st hand experience with two large universities in the UK with mail down for weeks (Warwick and Surrey, if you must know). That is totally unthinkable. This is what made me move to gmail even though I always have an alternative provider (employer).

All in all, this is a sorry state. Suggestions?

4wd:
I use Thunderbird for my emails, using both POP3 and IMAP gmail accounts, (I have 5 or so).

Haven't had a problem and Thunderbird uses plain text mbox format for its databases so if you have to, you can always read them in a text editor.

Actually, more precisely, I use Portable Thunderbird - so I can just copy the whole directory onto another device, (flash, HD, PC), to use it.

For browsing, Portable Firefox does all I need - IE is not even installed, (courtesy of nlite).

There's also SeaMonkey, (if you need your browser and email as one app), and its portable version.

There's also the Pocket K-Meleon browser.

urlwolf:
Is thunderbird indexed? (i.e. searching full text is immediate, no matter how large your inbox is). Can you press a shortcut and get an 'send email' window in thunderbird even if you are in FF?

wreckedcarzz:
Not sure on the indexing, I don't think I've ever seen an "indexed" email program (I don't use anything past FF's "I'm Feeling Lucky" search integration and the Vista "Start Search".

But Firefox and Thunderbird are separate - there are no options within Firefox to launch/control Thunderbird (and vice versa). Plugins might be available, but you never know with those...

4wd:
Is thunderbird indexed? (i.e. searching full text is immediate, no matter how large your inbox is).-urlwolf (August 04, 2008, 03:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

No indexing is done - just use the search field.  Or use some Desktop Search program that supports Thunderbird.

Actually, slightly wrong, Thunderbird does 'find as you type' - select an inbox and then start typing in the search field, results will start being filtered after about a second.

I know where I put things or where I can find what I'm looking for so I rarely have to resort to a search of any kind, (regarding local environment and PC anyway) - once every couple of weeks if I'm unlucky.

Can you press a shortcut and get an 'send email' window in thunderbird even if you are in FF?
--- End quote ---

It sounds more like you want an integrated solution, (ala Opera), therefore give SeaMonkey a go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version