topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Tiny Watcher - a tool hosted at DC  (Read 11153 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tiny Watcher - a tool hosted at DC
« on: August 03, 2008, 10:44 PM »
i was reading a blog entry about this tool called 'Tiny Watcher' when i realized that it's actually hosted on DC. it was even mentioned before in this thread here. we really need a who's who directory of software for DC. :)

Tiny Watcher, keep your Windows clean
SC_001_08-08-04_tinywatcher.png

http://www.raymond.c...istry-and-processes/
Tiny Watcher website

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tiny Watcher - a tool hosted at DC
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:25 AM »
Cool  :up: :up: :up: :up:

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 07:16 AM »
Not a bad tool. But, as the author himself pointed out on the site, it does nothing to prevent the change, only informs you of it. Hence this program should not be used as a replacement for a HIPS tool like Comodo Firewall Pro or WinPatrol.

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 07:26 AM »
Not a bad tool. But, as the author himself pointed out on the site, it does nothing to prevent the change, only informs you of it. Hence this program should not be used as a replacement for a HIPS tool like Comodo Firewall Pro or WinPatrol.

Just wanted to mention that WinPatrol is not a HIPS, it just watches certain areas of your system for changes. Even the "real-time" watching of the paid version doesn't really operate as you'd expect [fully real-time].  For instance, if you have it running, install some new software that requires a reboot and just after installing answer "yes" to a reboot prompt when they ask you to, it's very likely that WinPatrol won't notify you about the fact that changes have been made to your startup programs or services until after the reboot and by then the new programs are already running. It's a great tool, but not really for security reasons (I mostly use it to clean up certain system areas and delay startup programs).
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 03:09 AM »
Thanks Dirhael, for pointing that out. You're correct indeed, WinPatrol is not a real HIPS. But I believe Comodo Firewall Pro is. I use it and it regularly bugs me with messages about changes to my registry, just like a real HIPS would.

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 06:32 AM »
Thanks Dirhael, for pointing that out. You're correct indeed, WinPatrol is not a real HIPS. But I believe Comodo Firewall Pro is. I use it and it regularly bugs me with messages about changes to my registry, just like a real HIPS would.

CFP, or rather the Defense+ component, is indeed a proper HIPS that appears to be quite popular (can't really beat the price ;)) and solid. I tested it a while back, and came to the conclusion that it doesn't really suite me. It felt like I was using the digitized version of the boy who cried wolf. To be fair, this is a common problem with any traditional HIPS, but at least some of them have tried to reduce the number of useless prompts by implementing things like community databases (tracks how people answers, then makes suggestions based on that) or add some form of behavioral analysis. My preferred way to deal with vulnerable applications (most programs facing the internet and other applications I'm not yet sure is safe to install/use) is to either sandbox them completely (SandboxIE) or use a policy sandbox (Defensewall or GeSWall). In extreme cases when it's very likely that installing a certain program may cause problems due to potential software conflicts, I may even use a virtual machine like VMware or Virtualbox to test before considering installing it on my main system.
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 11:36 AM »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 07:31 PM by mouser »

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 06:24 PM »
I absolutely love Tiny Watcher.  I hate it when things start with my computer, but I am leaving this alone.   :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 08:54 PM »
Tiny Watcher was all over the internet again today!.. Starting on Samer's freewaregenius and then migrating around to other sites including lifehacker.

Congratulations on the well deserved if long-delayed attention.

JoWazzoo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 06:22 AM »
Congratulations on the well deserved if long-delayed attention.

I totally agree & m3t00 on many of the above comments. Mr. Lombart, the author (I hope I got that right), is a freaking genius. Let me tell you a little true story as he is prone to do.

A long time ago I was looking for a tool to do what Tiny Watcher does. [I get so sick of looking at bloatware SW that is only 67 MB HD footprint & only needs 1 + GB RAM to run - freaking bloated crap!!!  Good lord, I am still on a dial-up.] My first reaction was - kewl, exactly what I am looking for. So been using it for quite some time now, never had a problem with it and like some of my other daily tools used to fight the BadGuyz (e.g. Everything search, Project Lasso, Proc Mon, WinPatrol ... ) I simply take it for granted.

Now fast forward to week before last. The major Nasty (Downadup/Conficker) making the rounds decided to pay me a visit. This was several days before the major on-slaught and b4 the security SW doodz released new patches. Please note:

I had all M$ updates/pitches/fixes/bandaids/etc installed
  I was not visiting Pron sites
  I was not downloading cracks from warez sites
  I met NONE of the how do you get it requirements - freaking none
  I was running a firewall, one real time virus proggy, and two anti-spyware proggies
  Whether or not it would have done any good, dunno, but my HIPS was off-line

Just about the time I realized something was amiss with BangButt (my machine) I got a warning NOT from my defenses listed above, but Tiny Watcher & WinPatrol. And then I confirmed pookahs with Wakoopa of all things (kewl app BTW). And then all hell broke loose as I pulled the phone line. And in the midst of all this, nary a peep from my major defenses.

Kudos to Tiny Watcher & Mr. Lombart

Ch33rs - JoW