ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Tiny Watcher - a tool hosted at DC

(1/2) > >>

lanux128:
i was reading a blog entry about this tool called 'Tiny Watcher' when i realized that it's actually hosted on DC. it was even mentioned before in this thread here. we really need a who's who directory of software for DC. :)

Tiny Watcher, keep your Windows clean

• http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/08/01/a-very-tiny-tool-to-monitor-changes-in-windows-files-registry-and-processes/
• Tiny Watcher website

mouser:
Cool  :up: :up: :up: :up:

icekin:
Not a bad tool. But, as the author himself pointed out on the site, it does nothing to prevent the change, only informs you of it. Hence this program should not be used as a replacement for a HIPS tool like Comodo Firewall Pro or WinPatrol.

Dirhael:
Not a bad tool. But, as the author himself pointed out on the site, it does nothing to prevent the change, only informs you of it. Hence this program should not be used as a replacement for a HIPS tool like Comodo Firewall Pro or WinPatrol.
-icekin (August 07, 2008, 07:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just wanted to mention that WinPatrol is not a HIPS, it just watches certain areas of your system for changes. Even the "real-time" watching of the paid version doesn't really operate as you'd expect [fully real-time].  For instance, if you have it running, install some new software that requires a reboot and just after installing answer "yes" to a reboot prompt when they ask you to, it's very likely that WinPatrol won't notify you about the fact that changes have been made to your startup programs or services until after the reboot and by then the new programs are already running. It's a great tool, but not really for security reasons (I mostly use it to clean up certain system areas and delay startup programs).

icekin:
Thanks Dirhael, for pointing that out. You're correct indeed, WinPatrol is not a real HIPS. But I believe Comodo Firewall Pro is. I use it and it regularly bugs me with messages about changes to my registry, just like a real HIPS would.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version