ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Strategies for international travellers regarding new US Customs seizure policy

<< < (12/14) > >>

Darwin:
I still wonder what the people who absolutely MUST travel with their laptop do...?
-Armando (August 30, 2008, 09:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good point - it always *seems* like a great idea to take my notebook, but I rarely do much with it and no longer even bother taking it out in the cabin. In fairness, when I've traveled for work, I've used it extensively. However, I've never really used it when I've been on vacation...

Armando:
In these totalitarian circumstances, I'd certainly think twice before taking my laptop with me on vacation!  :o I'd take the risk only if I had absolutely NO choice to bring it with me (special applications, no computers easily available where I'm going, etc.). And then I'd probably replace the hard drive with another one containing nothing but a strictly functional Linux distro, send my data in advance by mail to where I'm going, or just download the necessary data (encrypted) from a web to be able to work. This is not ideal, but feasible.

There's also the liveCD option. But it's not as easy as one would probably think... There are not many internet cafés around that will allow you to reboot their computer with a live CD ( :tellme: ) , and, depending on where you're traveling, using someone's (or whatever) computer might be not be an easy option either! Still... carrying a liveCD (or USB stick) with everything you need, is not a bad idea as it could be useful. It could.

mouser:
There is an easy and safe way to travel with your laptop overseas.

Step One, take apart your laptop into small pieces:

Create a handbag out of the keys and give that to your girlfried to carry:

And give her a pair of these cpu earings to wear:

Wrap the rest of the pieces in ziploc bags and swallow them, along with a small screwdriver*.

When you arrive at your destination, merely reassemble the pieces and your are ready to compute!

[*you may want to simply purchase a small screwdriver at your destination instead of swallowing it as screwdrivers are a considered a deadly weapon on planes now]

Armando:
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Carol Haynes:
What is the optimun size of laptop hard disk size for swallowing (and how do I get it out again - I may have a big bum but ....)  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version