topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NSFW - The website is down!  (Read 8624 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NSFW - The website is down!
« on: August 02, 2008, 06:19 PM »
Source video

As a sys admin or tech support person, have you ever just had one of those days?

SiteDown.jpgNSFW - The website is down!

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NSFW - The website is down!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 11:26 AM »
why has no one responded to this post. the "website is down" videos are hilarious.

come on. have a look people.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 12:31 PM »
Well... I posted something about it last August. Does that count?  ;D

https://www.donation....msg125029#msg125029

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 01:26 PM »
Well... I posted something about it last August. Does that count?  ;D

https://www.donation....msg125029#msg125029
yeah, i spotted it and left a message.

but, i am surprised that no one really noticed either mentions.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 02:12 PM »
why has no one responded to this post. the "website is down" videos are hilarious.

Well I saw the title and thought it was saying some site I hadn't heard of before, NSFW, was down. Silly me. Funny vid.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 07:29 PM »
I LOVE you Joshua/nudone. That was fracking awsome!!!!!

Ehtyar.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 11:52 AM »
Deleting all traces of the email about not shutting down the webserver from his inbox - and his manager's outbox - was absolutely priceless.

That was a true BOFH move if there ever was one. Speaking of which...

The full Bastard Operator from Hell archive can be found over at The Register website.

Link: http://www.theregister.co.uk/odds/bofh/

If you've never heard of the legendary BOFH series, check out the write-up on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bofh

Excellent geek laughs for anybody involved in running, fixing, or just being driven mad by the network they live with. Read it for chuckles - and (if you're a NetOp!) maybe even for a little inspiration? (nudge-nudge wink-wink)

Highly recommended. :up:

8)

Addendum:

If you are inspired by the BOFH series, but still not up to becoming a genuine psychopath in real life, relief is at hand. Zork and BOFH fans rejoice! There is now an interactive fiction BOFH game available for free via download that will let you indulge in your fantasies without: losing your job, going to jail, burning in hell - or all of the above.

The Bastard Operator from Hell: Interactive Fiction Edition

You are a newly-initiated BOFH who must establish yourself among your fellow Bastards.  Starting in your office, you must get a super-high-priced travel request to Las Vegas approved by your boss, teach a technician a lesson about overcharging for terrible service and show a co-worker why taking your parking space was a VERY bad idea.  And then you are off to Las Vegas only to discover that your three room deluxe suite at the Venetian was cancelled by your vindictive boss.  In typical Bastard fashion you not only get your suite back but do so while driving 5,000 or so hotel employees to the brink of madness.  You win the day in style as any good BOFH should.

If you visit The Register and/or have been in the Information Technology Sector for a few years then you probably heard of the BOFH.  The BOFH is the epitome of the IT professional who is at the top of his game.  Not cowed by an overbearing and clueless boss, self-serving co-workers with an agenda or ruthless vendors looking to shaft the public at large, the BOFH reigns supreme in his company!

Download and info here: http://www.malinche.net/bofh.html

« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 12:05 PM by 40hz »

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 04:30 PM »
I never read BOFH, mainly because it's all just such a mess (different years and chapters etc...wtf is 2k then?), that I couldn't even figure out where the beginning was. Is there a place where you can find the whole lot in chronological order or something? Maybe the entire thing in a zip/pdf or something?

Ehtyar.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 12:30 AM »
I never read BOFH, mainly because it's all just such a mess (different years and chapters etc...wtf is 2k then?), that I couldn't even figure out where the beginning was. Is there a place where you can find the whole lot in chronological order or something? Maybe the entire thing in a zip/pdf or something?

Ehtyar.

"Mess" doesn't quite do it justice. ;D

AFAIK, this is the official archive for all the pre-2k stories:

http://bofh.ntk.net/Bastard_Indexes.html

The Register is the official repository for everything post-2k.

bofh_BOFH-black-SMALL.png

---

There used to be sites that had zipped archives of the stories. But that was before Plan Nine Publishing started issuing paperback collections. Once that happened, Simon Travaglia was forced to get a little more serious about his copyright.

Plan Nine isn't currently publishing BOFH books. Or anything else AFAIK. (I'm guessing they're probably gone for good.) Used copies can be found on Amazon or E-Bay if you're desperate. The Register currently has the first two collections available:

bofh_book_montage.jpg

8)

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:43 AM by 40hz »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 07:05 PM »
The latest episode

This is episode 3 - Remain Calm