topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Skimp or splurge?  (Read 38810 times)

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Skimp or splurge?
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2008, 05:21 PM »
 ;D
Great thread!
Regular gas for my '97 Toyota, but I use Union 76. Cheap gas is cheap gas. I have 35 year-old chef's knives that hold an edge beautifully. Good tools, yes. GOOD mattress absolutely! Some splurges are worth it: http://www.amazon.co...B000079XW2/ref=pd_bb s_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1218837942&sr=8-1 is the best can opener ever. Mouser, I feel your tape pain. I too, learned the hard way. Thanks for all the suggestions, App103; good stuff. Got a yard or a sunny window? Grow food and/or herbs.
This gang doesn't NEED to be told this, but...build your own computers, but don't succumb to the bleeding edge. 6 months can make a huge difference.
OEF
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

sean421

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Skimp or splurge?
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2008, 05:29 PM »
Splurge on Good Tools - Crimpers, Multi-Tools, Screwdrivers, Knives, Pliers, Wire-Cutters, etc - eBay may have cheap ones, but it shows!
There's an eddy in the time-space continuum where my screwdrivers all migrate. (I believe it's located next to the place where socks go)

So screwdrivers are definitely not a splurge item for me.

I have a bunch of cheaper screwdrivers 'here and there', because of what you said - the evil screwdriver-stealing-gremlins!  ;)
Unfortunately, they bend, get dull/rounded/blunted very quickly, tear up screw heads, or (OW!) slip out of the slot and stab me, or an unfortunate bystander (table top, mobo, etc.) - They're OK for emergencies or casual use, but I invested in a QUALITY set which I religiously keep in my toolbox for 'Real Work' - the difference is like comparing a Leatherman  :-* to a $6 eBay generic multi-tool!