ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Skimp or splurge?

<< < (9/11) > >>

SKesselman:

Then there's that rubberized, self-bonding tape that'll make an an instant non-slip grip on any tool handle...
-cranioscopical (August 13, 2008, 08:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I like that tape too, but the kind I have can't be cleaned...kind of gross (if yours can, please, tell me the kind you're using & I"ll get some).

I've never heard of gaffer's tape, but I have some Gorilla Tape that's actually holding a very large, heavy wood dresser together. I think temperature & technique might have something to do with it, but still, I love this stuff!

Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Darwin:
Skimp: clothing

Splurge: shoes

I buy quality when I can (usually on sale) but then, that doesn't necessarily have to mean splurge, either, does it? Overall, I'm drawing a blank here. I guess I follow my dad's credo - shop around until you can get good quality at a good price. This way you buy once (or once every X years) instead of buying low quality items frequently.

JennyB:
Skimp: clothing

Splurge: shoes

I buy quality when I can (usually on sale) but then, that doesn't necessarily have to mean splurge, either, does it? Overall, I'm drawing a blank here. I guess I follow my dad's credo - shop around until you can get good quality at a good price. This way you buy once (or once every X years) instead of buying low quality items frequently.
-Darwin (August 14, 2008, 08:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

What counts with clothes is cost per wear. Cheap jeans are an abomination, but I have a pair of carpenter's trousers that I wear nearly every day, and will see me right for years yet.

Another useful thing is to have a little book in which you write down everything you really, really want and why you want it, even if you think you can never afford it.
It's quite chastening to look back at some of the stuff you once lusted after!  :P

Darwin:
Another useful thing is to have a little book in which you write down everything you really, really want and why you want it, even if you think you can never afford it.
It's quite chastening to look back at some of the stuff you once lusted after!
-JennyB (August 15, 2008, 04:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good idea! It's also cheaper than feeling chastened looking at the accumulated junk that you bought, used once, and never looked again...

invenit:
I've never heard of gaffer's tape, but I have some Gorilla Tape that's actually holding a very large, heavy wood dresser together.
--- End quote ---

Gorilla Tape is amazing! *Many* applications. I repaired a downspout on some outdoor guttering two years ago and the repair is still good. I've even used it to repair a noisy Dell PC case. (By the way, check out Gorilla Glue as well.)

Some additional items:
Splurge: premium paint (Sherwin-Williams Duration), rechargeable AA & AAA batteries, Hitachi hard drives, computer books
Skimp: OS (mostly use Ubuntu 8.04 (supplemented rarely by WinXP Pro))

Possible future splurge: das keyboard  :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version