topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Skimp or splurge?  (Read 38118 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Skimp or splurge?
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 08:41 AM »
Kitchen knife: SKIMP. I see I'm going against the grain in this thread here. I use cheap knives from IKEA and an cheap knife sharpener from IKEA. If only the knives are sharp then I have never noticed a difference in performance between cheap and expensive knives.

But why do that when you can splurge without splurging?

The Oxo Good Grips Professional 8-Inch Chef Knife @ $20 US consistently beats all the $100+ offerings from Haekel, Sabatier, et al. In one review in Chef's Magazine (probably the single most reliable source of cooking info) this little wonder beat out everything except one. And that knife carried a $200+ price tag.

IMHO Oxo makes some of the best, and most reasonably priced, kitchen equipment on the planet. Outperforms the majors all the time.:two:

Sometimes cheap and good can share the same space. :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Now if somebody could just figure out a way to convince them to build cars... ;)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 08:44 AM by 40hz »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 10:26 AM »
Kitchen knife: SKIMP. I see I'm going against the grain in this thread here. I use cheap knives from IKEA and an cheap knife sharpener from IKEA. If only the knives are sharp then I have never noticed a difference in performance between cheap and expensive knives.

No, you're not going against the grain, you're following the rules. REMEMBER: it's not skimping if you found a quality item at a decent price.
I mean you're talking Ikea...  :-*

I've bought "cheap sawdust" bookshelves from Ikea that outlasted some solid-wood kitchen tables from a big-box retailer.
Gotta love those north europeans...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 11:19 AM by Edvard »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 10:42 AM »
IMHO Oxo makes some of the best, and most reasonably priced, kitchen equipment on the planet...
Now if somebody could just figure out a way to convince them to build cars...

Yeah, Katie says they could call 'em OxO cubes  ;)

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 11:33 PM »
Regarding the milk again,

I would suggest, do yourself a favor and go and buy some milk fresh from a farm  ("Milk", as in the stuff out of cows udder  :-*, and not the tasteless white-ish water out of the plastic container). Not pasteurized, not homogenized, and not diluted - please..
I can only recommend tasting once in while what the real thing is like -  milk is a very sad case regarding what is lost in industry food. 
I do not know what they are doing to the milk (or the cows; the corn diet?) in the US, but it lacks even more in taste than the grocery store brands in Europe.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 01:09 AM by Lutz_ »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2008, 05:53 AM »
Splurge:

Tape
51KCFWAA5WL._SS500_.jpg

I bought some bargain shipping tape recently -- and I don't think anything has come close to making me curse and want to smash stuff as much as that thing cheap bad quality tape -- an incredibly frustrating experience.  Scotch Shipping tape is much better.

ljbirns

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2008, 06:11 PM »
Cognac :Thmbsup:

If you are going to buy it  don't skimp    splurge  buy the best There IS a difference.
Lew

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2008, 06:15 PM »
If you are going to buy it  don't skimp    splurge  buy the best There IS a difference.
On the other hand, you can get some decent cheap whiskeys. Obviously a Famous Grouse, Grant's, or Jack Daniels isn't going to be the same experience as a 12-year old Oban, but that doesn't mean it can't be an enjoyable experience, though :)
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 06:16 PM »

Agreed. Ditto for a fine Port.  :Thmbsup:

On the other hand, you can get some decent cheap whiskeys. Obviously a Famous Grouse, Grant's, or Jack Daniels isn't going to be the same experience as a 12-year old Oban, but that doesn't mean it can't be an enjoyable experience, though :)

Also very true. I'm a big single malt fan. But Black & White scotch is surprisingly good. And the price is more than reasonable. (Best served straight up in front of the fireplace on a cool and sunny autumn afternoon!)  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 06:23 PM by 40hz »

ljbirns

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 06:38 PM »
Vodka   on the other hand      The largest quantity possible for the least price possible
Lew

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2008, 01:24 PM »
40hz: point taken. But I consider 20$ for a knife at least a semi-splurge. A decent IKEA knife goes for around 5$ you know ;)

I wish to file a friend-of-the-splurge brief for mousers tape splurge :) Tape, especially electrical tape, is one of the most handy things ever invented. Buy good quality stuff and buy enough to be able to have multiple rolls at various places around your house or apartment.

A general splurge rule: buy duplicates of small tools you use a lot and put in different places. That way you'll always have some close to hand and won't have to spend time searching for where you put them so often.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2008, 02:14 PM »
buy duplicates of small tools you use a lot and put in different places. That way you'll always have some close to hand and won't have to spend time searching for where you put them so often

Or, speaking from experience, you'll have a massive supply all in one place... if only you could remember where.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2008, 07:41 PM »
40hz: point taken. But I consider 20$ for a knife at least a semi-splurge. A decent IKEA knife goes for around 5$ you know ;)

I wish to file a friend-of-the-splurge brief for mousers tape splurge :) Tape, especially electrical tape, is one of the most handy things ever invented. Buy good quality stuff and buy enough to be able to have multiple rolls at various places around your house or apartment.

A general splurge rule: buy duplicates of small tools you use a lot and put in different places. That way you'll always have some close to hand and won't have to spend time searching for where you put them so often.
I second the tape rule, and up-one: get a roll of gaffer's tape with your next duct tape purchase (if you can find it...) and see if it doesn't out-purpose the silver stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love duct tape, but gaffers tape is his grown-up cousin.
GAFFER.JPG
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 07:45 PM by Edvard »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 08:27 PM »
but gaffers tape is his grown-up cousin

It's true!

Then there's that rubberized, self-bonding tape that'll make an an instant non-slip grip on any tool handle, and the armoured stuff that you can wrap around your fingers when you mislay your carver's mail glove... oh, and the double-sided carpet tape that acts as a clamp between boards when bandsawing multiple same-profile parts, and the high-friction stuff for drawers and jigs, and the low-friction tape and...

We need a tape thread  :)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2008, 12:40 AM »
Mmmh, gaffer's tape. And it's companion, ether!
- carpe noctem

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2008, 03:52 AM »
SPLURGE:
Good keyboard, comfortable mouse.

SKIMP:
Sunglasses. (I lose them anyway.)

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2008, 04:30 AM »

Then there's that rubberized, self-bonding tape that'll make an an instant non-slip grip on any tool handle...
-cranioscopical (August 13, 2008, 08:27 PM)

I like that tape too, but the kind I have can't be cleaned...kind of gross (if yours can, please, tell me the kind you're using & I"ll get some).

I've never heard of gaffer's tape, but I have some Gorilla Tape that's actually holding a very large, heavy wood dresser together. I think temperature & technique might have something to do with it, but still, I love this stuff!

Not cheap, but worth every penny.

-Sarah

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2008, 08:17 AM »
Skimp: clothing

Splurge: shoes

I buy quality when I can (usually on sale) but then, that doesn't necessarily have to mean splurge, either, does it? Overall, I'm drawing a blank here. I guess I follow my dad's credo - shop around until you can get good quality at a good price. This way you buy once (or once every X years) instead of buying low quality items frequently.

JennyB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Test all things - hold fast to what is good
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2008, 04:41 AM »
Skimp: clothing

Splurge: shoes

I buy quality when I can (usually on sale) but then, that doesn't necessarily have to mean splurge, either, does it? Overall, I'm drawing a blank here. I guess I follow my dad's credo - shop around until you can get good quality at a good price. This way you buy once (or once every X years) instead of buying low quality items frequently.

What counts with clothes is cost per wear. Cheap jeans are an abomination, but I have a pair of carpenter's trousers that I wear nearly every day, and will see me right for years yet.

Another useful thing is to have a little book in which you write down everything you really, really want and why you want it, even if you think you can never afford it.
It's quite chastening to look back at some of the stuff you once lusted after!  :P
If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2008, 08:30 AM »
Another useful thing is to have a little book in which you write down everything you really, really want and why you want it, even if you think you can never afford it.
It's quite chastening to look back at some of the stuff you once lusted after!

Good idea! It's also cheaper than feeling chastened looking at the accumulated junk that you bought, used once, and never looked again...

invenit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2008, 10:48 AM »
I've never heard of gaffer's tape, but I have some Gorilla Tape that's actually holding a very large, heavy wood dresser together.

Gorilla Tape is amazing! *Many* applications. I repaired a downspout on some outdoor guttering two years ago and the repair is still good. I've even used it to repair a noisy Dell PC case. (By the way, check out Gorilla Glue as well.)

Some additional items:
Splurge: premium paint (Sherwin-Williams Duration), rechargeable AA & AAA batteries, Hitachi hard drives, computer books
Skimp: OS (mostly use Ubuntu 8.04 (supplemented rarely by WinXP Pro))

Possible future splurge: das keyboard  :-*
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 10:54 AM by invenit »

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2008, 10:57 AM »
check out Gorilla Glue as well.
This is the only thing I've found that provides a strong reliable bond with plastics. But I dislike its habit of foaming out from the seams.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2008, 01:11 PM »
check out Gorilla Glue as well.
This is the only thing I've found that provides a strong reliable bond with plastics. But I dislike its habit of foaming out from the seams.

Love it too... Only problem is that it expands (20% if memory serves), so you can't really use it to repair anything in which expansion will be a (negative) issue.

sean421

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2008, 01:16 PM »
Mmmm, Glue! IMHO, JB-Weld and/or JB-Kwik rock!  :-* Good for anything too heavy for Krazy Glue! ....well, maybe not wood (carpentry-type) fastening, but still...
Gorilla Tape =  :Thmbsup:

Splurge: Good Headphones - see GoodCans.com http://www.goodcans.com/ for some excellent reviews.
Speakers, I go with 'Good Budget', but when I really want to HEAR music, can't beat good headphones - also, 'Stock' earbuds almost universally are Crappy  - Try REAL headphones or GOOD earbuds, and your opinion of your MP3 Player (or soundcard, etc.) will probably go WAY up!  :Thmbsup:

Splurge on Good Tools - Crimpers, Multi-Tools, Screwdrivers, Knives, Pliers, Wire-Cutters, etc - eBay may have cheap ones, but it shows!

Worth Splurging - A Good Woman!  :-* (or your partner of choice)

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2008, 01:31 PM »
Splurge on Good Tools - Crimpers, Multi-Tools, Screwdrivers, Knives, Pliers, Wire-Cutters, etc - eBay may have cheap ones, but it shows!

There's an eddy in the time-space continuum where my screwdrivers all migrate. (I believe it's located next to the place where socks go)

So screwdrivers are definitely not a splurge item for me.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2008, 01:36 PM »
I bought a screwdriver with 6 bits at the dollar store. I used it without complaint for a few months, but then while working inside my computer I found out why it was only a dollar.

I don't know if the bits softened with time or I just never used it on any screws that were really tight until then, but those screwdriver bits seemed only as hard as refrigerated butter. I couldn't believe how easy they bent and became unusable.

Thanks to the good advice of app103, I went to a hardware store and spent about $15 on a screwdriver set with a lifetime guarantee. I have absolutely no complaints about this new one and it was worth "splurging" for a good set of tools that don't fall apart when you're dealing with the internal workings of a PC (or anything else that requires a screwdriver).