Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 25, 2014, 11:51:42 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Skimp or splurge?  (Read 17698 times)
OldElmerFudd
Charter Member

Bite-sized trouble

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »

Grin
Great thread!
Regular gas for my '97 Toyota, but I use Union 76. Cheap gas is cheap gas. I have 35 year-old chef's knives that hold an edge beautifully. Good tools, yes. GOOD mattress absolutely! Some splurges are worth it: http://www.amazon.com/Oxo...r/dp/B000079XW2/ref=pd_bb s_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1218837942&sr=8-1 is the best can opener ever. Mouser, I feel your tape pain. I too, learned the hard way. Thanks for all the suggestions, App103; good stuff. Got a yard or a sunny window? Grow food and/or herbs.
This gang doesn't NEED to be told this, but...build your own computers, but don't succumb to the bleeding edge. 6 months can make a huge difference.
OEF

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.
sean421
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2008, 05:29:29 PM »

Splurge on Good Tools - Crimpers, Multi-Tools, Screwdrivers, Knives, Pliers, Wire-Cutters, etc - eBay may have cheap ones, but it shows!
There's an eddy in the time-space continuum where my screwdrivers all migrate. (I believe it's located next to the place where socks go)

So screwdrivers are definitely not a splurge item for me.

I have a bunch of cheaper screwdrivers 'here and there', because of what you said - the evil screwdriver-stealing-gremlins!  Wink
Unfortunately, they bend, get dull/rounded/blunted very quickly, tear up screw heads, or (OW!) slip out of the slot and stab me, or an unfortunate bystander (table top, mobo, etc.) - They're OK for emergencies or casual use, but I invested in a QUALITY set which I religiously keep in my toolbox for 'Real Work' - the difference is like comparing a Leatherman  Kiss to a $6 eBay generic multi-tool!
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.028s | Server load: 0.35 ]