ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Skimp or splurge?

<< < (6/11) > >>

40hz:
Kitchen knife: SKIMP. I see I'm going against the grain in this thread here. I use cheap knives from IKEA and an cheap knife sharpener from IKEA. If only the knives are sharp then I have never noticed a difference in performance between cheap and expensive knives.
-Nod5 (August 04, 2008, 07:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

But why do that when you can splurge without splurging?

The Oxo Good Grips Professional 8-Inch Chef Knife @ $20 US consistently beats all the $100+ offerings from Haekel, Sabatier, et al. In one review in Chef's Magazine (probably the single most reliable source of cooking info) this little wonder beat out everything except one. And that knife carried a $200+ price tag.

IMHO Oxo makes some of the best, and most reasonably priced, kitchen equipment on the planet. Outperforms the majors all the time.:two:

Sometimes cheap and good can share the same space. :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Now if somebody could just figure out a way to convince them to build cars... ;)

Edvard:
Kitchen knife: SKIMP. I see I'm going against the grain in this thread here. I use cheap knives from IKEA and an cheap knife sharpener from IKEA. If only the knives are sharp then I have never noticed a difference in performance between cheap and expensive knives.
-Nod5 (August 04, 2008, 07:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, you're not going against the grain, you're following the rules. REMEMBER: it's not skimping if you found a quality item at a decent price.
I mean you're talking Ikea...  :-*

I've bought "cheap sawdust" bookshelves from Ikea that outlasted some solid-wood kitchen tables from a big-box retailer.
Gotta love those north europeans...

cranioscopical:
IMHO Oxo makes some of the best, and most reasonably priced, kitchen equipment on the planet...
Now if somebody could just figure out a way to convince them to build cars...
-40hz (August 04, 2008, 08:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, Katie says they could call 'em OxO cubes  ;)

Lutz_:
Regarding the milk again,

I would suggest, do yourself a favor and go and buy some milk fresh from a farm  ("Milk", as in the stuff out of cows udder  :-*, and not the tasteless white-ish water out of the plastic container). Not pasteurized, not homogenized, and not diluted - please..
I can only recommend tasting once in while what the real thing is like -  milk is a very sad case regarding what is lost in industry food. 
I do not know what they are doing to the milk (or the cows; the corn diet?) in the US, but it lacks even more in taste than the grocery store brands in Europe.

mouser:
Splurge:

Tape

I bought some bargain shipping tape recently -- and I don't think anything has come close to making me curse and want to smash stuff as much as that thing cheap bad quality tape -- an incredibly frustrating experience.  Scotch Shipping tape is much better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version