topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Your most used SPECIAL programs  (Read 156779 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Your most used SPECIAL programs
« Reply #150 on: January 04, 2011, 11:57 PM »
Kind of insane, I'll agree. But then I have to consider what a lot of people who use this type of software are like. Last time I sat in on a workshop, I think there were maybe three out of 150 who weren't using pirated software. Most seemed to think it funny someone actually paid for their copy of Final Draft.

Sad.

Does anyone here think that those who pirate software would be likely to purchase a copy and then request a refund? I don’t think so. I think that only someone seriously considering the program would shell out that much up front. But then again I am probably way off there. Who knows anymore!

Jim

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2011, 12:11 AM »
Does anyone here think that those who pirate software would be likely to purchase a copy and then request a refund? I don’t think so. I think that only someone seriously considering the program would shell out that much up front. But then again I am probably way off there. Who knows anymore!

Jim

As somebody who, will openly admiot to pirating software, I can say no, we wouldnt simply request a refund.

Now let me explain more about me being a pirate **arr**

Ever downloaded a "demo" of a product, only to find out it has a severe time limit, or 80% of its functions are locked out? or simply, have no demo at all, and you have to trust other users and screenshots to shell out what could be thousands of $$,  Annoying isnt it...hows that a true 'test' period? - This is why I pirate...If I come accross software I feel I may purchase, but want to take for a test run first, and the demos (or lack there of) have these constraints, I turn to piracy, take the software for a short test-run (usually a month or two), NEVER release anything created from that peice of illegal software, and figure out if its worth my time.  If it is, I simply backup my files, uninstall, return to the website, purchase, download, install, and use as normal...if not, uninstall, delete, forget...with no hole in my wallet :)

I honestly dont care about the ethics of that, and in fact, if I made software to the price of packages like Maya and Pinnacles...I would either offer a suitable demo, or reccomend people to head off to The Pirate Bay :)

-Stephen

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2011, 05:37 AM »
Kind of insane, I'll agree. But then I have to consider what a lot of people who use this type of software are like. Last time I sat in on a workshop, I think there were maybe three out of 150 who weren't using pirated software. Most seemed to think it funny someone actually paid for their copy of Final Draft.

Sad.

Jim
I definitely wouldn't - but then I definitely wouldn't shell out just to be able to try a program, requesting a refund is too much hassle. So, like Stephen, I'd look around for a pirated copy instead. And that's how I ended up purchasing RegEx Buddy, which has no trial but a 100% refund guarantee :)
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2011, 06:24 AM »

Sad.

Jim
I definitely wouldn't - but then I definitely wouldn't shell out just to be able to try a program, requesting a refund is too much hassle. So, like Stephen, I'd look around for a pirated copy instead. And that's how I ended up purchasing RegEx Buddy, which has no trial but a 100% refund guarantee :)

Just for the record, Final Draft retails (street) for $185 USD, ships with a 30-day money back guarantee, allows for multiple installs (with 2 copies active at the same time), and has a free full feature demo available.

FYI: There are free and less expensive equivalent products available.  :)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:28 AM by 40hz »

sazzen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #154 on: January 05, 2011, 09:01 AM »
AA!!  40hz...that 4d thing looks great.  There are too many good options for outlining out there!

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do all the stuff necessary to write a story with.  I like Liquid Story binder as an all in one package, but these outliners and stuff have certain things that are very nice.  Between InfoQube, Onenote, Evernote, now this...I don't know.  I shouldn't stress...I should just use what I have and wait for the need to arise.
Check this program out. The absolute best freebie for writers: http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter5.html

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2011, 10:46 AM »

Check this program out. The absolute best freebie for writers: http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter5.html

@sazzen- Great recommendation! 8)

yWriter has been a perennially popular writer's tool. And with good reason. It's a great piece of software. It was one of the first writing apps I ever tried. It worked well enough that I wound up using it almost exclusively for a couple of years. That's a lot more than I can say about some things I paid beau coup bucks for.

Before I bought anything, I'd follow your recommendation and give yWriter a try first. With a little luck it just might be the only thing like that you'll ever need to install.

:Thmbsup:

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2011, 11:58 AM »
From what I have read (I've not tried it) Outline 4D seems to be aimed at screen writers. I did also note a comment somewhere that it was basically a 2005 program that hadn't been updated since (except for something very marginal) and was freshened up by being given a new name - but still the same program underneath. Not really a problem,, I suppose, if it is already as good as it needs to be.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #157 on: January 05, 2011, 12:13 PM »
AA!!  40hz...that 4d thing looks great.  There are too many good options for outlining out there!

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do all the stuff necessary to write a story with.  I like Liquid Story binder as an all in one package, but these outliners and stuff have certain things that are very nice.  Between InfoQube, Onenote, Evernote, now this...I don't know.  I shouldn't stress...I should just use what I have and wait for the need to arise.

Ill double that reccomendation...yWriter is extremely powerfull for a serious writer...however, try to get everything outlines in a non-feature-heavy software first (like notepad) otherwise you will spend most of your time playing with the features, and no time writing!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #158 on: January 05, 2011, 12:43 PM »
From what I have read (I've not tried it) Outline 4D seems to be aimed at screen writers. I did also note a comment somewhere that it was basically a 2005 program that hadn't been updated since (except for something very marginal) and was freshened up by being given a new name - but still the same program underneath. Not really a problem,, I suppose, if it is already as good as it needs to be.

Well...it is an outliner.

And it is primarily designed for writers,

And screenwriters.

So...I don't know how much more they can do to it function or feature-wise before it morphs into something else.  
 :)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2011, 01:33 PM »
Yeah, I was looking at Outline 4D for its outline features actually, as opposed to its writing features. I am writing scripts for small live acts and while writing the script isn't a problem (yet!) pulling everything together is. Such as props needed, whether or not I have all the needed props or need to procure them, etc. It's the overall picture that is difficult to keep together for each act rather than the writing function itself. Presently I'm using a pretty simple database program, which doesn’t quite meet the needs.

Thanks!

Jim

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2011, 02:54 PM »
Single pane with hoist and collapse features (guess its called "folding" now) just the way the angels intended it. Haven't seen one of those since the days of MaxThink or Acta, have ya? ;D
Well, there's tkoutline  :)  Not, I suspect, as sophisticated.

I own an old copy of Ecco.
Long gone freeware, as I expect you know.  I wonder if even the fans have moved on now, as Windows changes and new software appears.

Thanks!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2011, 03:12 PM »
re: Ecco

From what I've been hearing InfoQube is a very worthy replacement plus a whole lot more.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2011, 03:27 PM »
re: Ecco

From what I've been hearing InfoQube is a very worthy replacement plus a whole lot more.

Yes, definitely.  Pierre designed it after Ecco, but obviously it can do much more.

I'm learning that my notetaking methods involve a lot of different software.  I use IQ for long-term storage, but it's not something I dump a lot of notes into.  For that, I have just started using CintaNotes.  I basically dump everything during the day in there, and later (once a week or so), I'll file these notes away in more organized and serious programs like InfoQube, LSB, whatever the case may be.  Over the past decade or so, I've always needed that one very lightweight and effective note-dumping application.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #163 on: January 05, 2011, 03:53 PM »
Yeah, I was looking at Outline 4D for its outline features actually, as opposed to its writing features. I am writing scripts for small live acts and while writing the script isn't a problem (yet!) pulling everything together is. Such as props needed, whether or not I have all the needed props or need to procure them, etc. It's the overall picture that is difficult to keep together for each act rather than the writing function itself. Presently I'm using a pretty simple database program, which doesn’t quite meet the needs.

Why not borrow some old-fashioned technology from the movie people and set up a production "strip board" for yourself. It can make the difference between partial and complete insanity.

Look here for a quick rundown of how it's traditionally done. Then modify it to meet what you need to accomplish.

You could do it in Excel:

SetList.png

Or even just using paper and pencil. (Gone with the Wind and Ben Hur got done that way!)

There are also some moderately expensive (~$200) movie production apps (MovieMagic, Gorilla, etc.) you could use. The better ones integrate with Final Draft and other script writing/formatting apps such that any changes made to the script will automatically update the production board.

Probably overkill for your purposes. But it's nice to know they exist should you ever need them.

Luck!  :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 03:57 PM by 40hz »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2011, 09:28 PM »
Thanks 40hz! I'll take a good look at that.   :)

Jim

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #165 on: January 19, 2011, 06:52 AM »
Speaking of "special", I see that Liquid Story Binder (mentioned somewhere above) is discounted on Bits Du Jour for today only.

$15.95 instead of $49.95

http://www.bitsdujou...liquid-story-binder/

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2011, 01:29 PM »
If most used is the primary criteria, then I am compelled to mention the free (for private use) and portable RIOT (aka Radical Image Optimization Tool).

Perhaps old news to some, but I only recently discovered this tool which has saved me many hours processing images. One phrase explains it best: "compress to size". Factor in batch processing and manual control of chroma subsampling and we have a winner.  :-*

RIOT is available as a standalone and/or plugin for Gimp, IrfanView, and XnView.

WARNING: As mentioned, I have the portable version of RIOT. The installer version now includes OpenCandy.

http://luci.criosweb.ro/riot/

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #167 on: March 10, 2011, 03:03 PM »
thanks for telling, sajman99. I always use IrfanView for downsizing my pictures, but never for a second did I stop to wonder if it was done by IrfanView itself or by a plugin. RIOT is installed (comes with the default plugin's exe), but do you know if I have to activate it, (in some hidden way), or is the resizing per defintion done by RIOT?
 :tellme:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:12 PM by Curt »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2011, 03:47 PM »
Is IrfanView still shipping (well, downloading) with an old version of RIOT, so that you have to go to the RIOT site and download the current one from there and install over it, or is it now up to date?

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #169 on: March 10, 2011, 03:58 PM »
Hi Curt. In the case of the RIOT plugin for XnView (which I use), I click on an image, then go to Tools/Plugin/RIOT to activate RIOT. It displays as a large dual pane window with "Initial image" on the left and "Optimized image" on the right.

Not sure about Irfanview-- I would assume it's the same situation where RIOT steps up to the plate (ie. RIOT is visible). Hopefully another Irfanview user can indicate if it works differently.

btw I use RIOT primarily for batch compressing jpeg to size. It saves a ton of time, and usually the optimized images aren't noticeably different from the initial images. Of course, if you get carried away with too much compression the images will have noticeable artifacts. But at least you can preview to see how badly an image will deteriorate.

FWIW I prefer to use FastStone Photo Resizer (which is also a component of FastStone Image Viewer) for resizing because it has a "Conversion Preview" which allows me to have a sneak peek at the exact size prior to the actual resizing.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #170 on: March 10, 2011, 04:18 PM »
Is IrfanView still shipping (well, downloading) with an old version of RIOT, so that you have to go to the RIOT site and download the current one from there and install over it, or is it now up to date?

According to IrfanView's homepage, plugins in general should be up to date, but RIOT is not specifically mentioned, so I don't know, and, forgive me, since I don't compress (image dimensions are much more demanding to the computer / monitor, than size), I don't bother to look. It is version 0.3.3.0
 :tellme:

http://www.software....nview-plugins-9374-1

Edited:
The default RIOT 0.3.3.0 plugin in IrfanView is a lite version, not an old version per definition. RIOT's "extended" plugin for IrfanView (uses a modified version of FreeImage.dll also) is version 0.46, and is not part of the default package. But maybe that was what you meant.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:53 PM by Curt »

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2011, 04:59 PM »
http://luci.criosweb...ro/riot/dll-version/
RIOT as IrfanView plug-in:
You can acces the RIOT plug-in from IrfanView by selecting File->Save for web.
Also, there is an option to set file size to use compress to size function in RIOT for JPEG images.

The DLL version of RIOT contains  an extended version of the plugin.

http://luci.criosweb.ro/riot/download/

RIOT's latest version is 0.4.6. IIRC this version is the first to include a help (.chm) file which explains the power of the program. For example, the chroma subsampling info. helps eliminate confusion created by the differing terminology commonly used. (ie. 4:4:4 = 1X1 etc.)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2011, 05:02 PM »
How does RIOT compare to the built-in XnView version? Granted XnView doesn't have the full-screen, full-size view, but you can view 1:1 (cropped), control chroma subsampling, etc. and I find the output size is comparable to Photoshop's generally excellent Save For Web results.

- Oshyan

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2011, 06:17 PM »
How does RIOT compare to the built-in XnView version? ...

IMO the killer feature of RIOT is its "Batch optimizer" which can compress large numbers of jpegs to a pre-determined file size. Since different images compress to varying degrees, I never got much satisfaction with compressing to a quality level of 80% (just for example). With "compress to size" in batch mode, I don't get the significant under-sizing that I used to get at a straight quality %.

Interestingly, XnView appears to do this type of batch optimizing for JPEG-2000, but not regular ole JPEG.

So for me, I guess my point is RIOT is a major time saver. 8)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2011, 06:28 PM »
Ah, good to know! Thanks. :)

- Oshyan