topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Your most used SPECIAL programs  (Read 156485 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Your most used SPECIAL programs
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2010, 09:24 AM »
I've owned Website Watcher for years.  I used to use it a lot, but I found myself having increasing difficulty getting it to do what I wanted, and I've pretty much stopped using it.  I've decided it may not be worth the amount of time I need to put into it.  Anyway, Check & Get looks interesting.  From the website, I got the impression that the Professional edition is the one I'd want, but I haven't yet decided whether I want it enough to spend $64 (and that's the discounted price!).   Anyway, thanks for letting me know about it.  :up:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2010, 10:45 AM »
Check&Get is not updated with any great frequency (not more than once a year in the past few years) and it does have its warts and wrinkles. But for about 95% of what I ask it to do, it works flawlessly. Hiccoughs include the odd webpage that will not render in the snapshot mode (but which work fine in the "online" mode) - this is overcome using the "Report of changes" tab, which doesn't attempt to disply the page itself, just provides a listing of changes. In addtion, there are features that I've thought would be useful that are not present. Of course, I can't think of any examples!

Overall, it's quite flexible and possibly some of the features I'd like to see added are already there, buried in settings.

FWIW, I'm running it under Windows 7 64-bit without problem.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2010, 11:20 AM »
Ditto to everything cyberdiva posted above. WSW is still installed here, and I do use it very occasionally. However I did refuse the last upgrade as it appears that Martin has gotten into the "major upgrade every year whether or not it's needed" mode. The last few upgrades added nothing that helps me at all, and the WSW interface is still one that only a coder could love IMO. Trying to get a script written to do what you want, barring the simplest of requests, can be very complex and requesting assistance with such scripts can definitely leave you feeling like a complete dunce.

Check&Get looks like it could be a better fit for me but I'd need to try it for a reasonable amount of time to see.

Thanks!

Jim

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2010, 12:16 PM »
I went 'pro' personally. There's not THAT much difference, but I did want keyword monitoring, so pro it had to be.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2010, 01:06 PM »
Pro is at $64 at the moment.

sazzen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2011, 11:38 AM »
My two cents:   WordWebPro,   Mobysaurus,    FileMap by BB,     Surfulator,    PowerWriter,    ClipCachePro,   SFR Calculator,   ProcessTamer   TextAloud,   TeraCopy,   and my favorite word processor,  Atlantis.

Two of these are DC apps. Most of the others I acquired from Bits du Jour at discounted prices. Sorry to see the site disintegrating.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2011, 11:43 AM »
@sazzen or any other surfulater user: I am right now waiting at surfulater's store, thinking should I or shouldn't I? Do you have version 3? If yes, what do you think of it? If you were to purchase today, would you go for the same (I am not talking about price, but quality and user-friendliness)?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 11:57 AM by Curt »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: January 01, 2011, 12:02 PM »
@Curt
in case you havent seen it - there's a couple mentions of Surfulater in this and following posts
Re: Web alternative to Scrapbook extension?

Someone else was highly recommending it lately - here somewhere (Perry maybe?)
I loved it but never used the latest version. I gave up on it only** because I was using InfoQube anyway and the programmes overlapped (i.e. I now use IQ for webcapture).

** well the price vs. the amount I used it was a factor as well
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: January 01, 2011, 12:08 PM »
yes, tomos, your link was accurate! Indeed it was April's sentence "Surfulater really spoiled me rotten" that started me! :-) However, still waiting at their store, I realize it still says version "3.0", and I froze. Is development still going on, or has the program reached a satisfying level of perfectness(!!), or is it dying?
- I am asking any SURFuLATER user  

Edited:
The price right now is $39.50 (50% off)

even further edited:
Oh... on their blog the version number is called 3.4 ("Google Chrome integration and more in Surfulater V3.40.0.0"), so I guess everything is all right.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:09 PM by Curt »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: January 01, 2011, 12:57 PM »
Curt,

Surfulator is still developed, though not necessarily in ways that I would like. Of course that speaks only to my personal wants. At the discounted price you posted, I would definitely get it. It's web page rendering is not great but certainly decent enough. I haven't found any that render pages anywhere near as good as the Scrapbook extension for Firefox.

For a free alternative there is Local Website Archive by Aignes, the developer of Web Site Watcher. There is also a Pro version - depends what you want to do with the web pages once you have them.

Thanks!

Jim

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: January 01, 2011, 01:01 PM »
Hi, Curt.  I guess you discovered what I was about to tell you, namely, that yes, Surfulater is definitely still in active development.  As you've found, the most recent version is 3.4, and there was at least one other before that but after 3.0.  I don't recall whether I said this in response to April's message, but another plus is that the Surfulater developer is very responsive.  So if you're still debating, I'd say GO FOR IT, especially if you can still find it at 50% off.  That's a terrific price!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: January 01, 2011, 01:23 PM »
Surfulator ... It's web page rendering ...
chickenpunctuation.jpg

sorry, I couldn't help it, it just flew out of me ;-)
-----------

I was also very tempted to get the Local Website Archive, but then I saw their bundled offer, and suddenly it all summed up to a very large amount of money for a program I might never use... The painful truth is that when I had purchased and installed surfulater, the register box said (before I pasted anything into it) that my key was for an older version... Yeah, I already had version 2, but never used it and forgot about it.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2011, 01:50 PM »
I was also very tempted to get the Local Website Archive, but then I saw their bundled offer, and suddenly it all summed up to a very large amount of money for a program I might never use... The painful truth is that when I had purchased and installed surfulater, the register box said (before I pasted anything into it) that my key was for an older version... Yeah, I already had version 2, but never used it and forgot about it.

The upgrade price is 50% too...
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2011, 04:57 PM »
Curt,

I'm happy with Surfulater.
It's not updated with trifles at frequent intervals, rather at longer periods with thoughtful changes.
3.4 suits me just fine.
As somebody mentioned above, Neville, the developer, is responsive and helpful.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: January 01, 2011, 05:55 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations of surfulater, cranioscopical, cyberdiva, and J-Mac.

Am I the only one to be sadly surprised that it doesn't close on Escape?

Ctrl+F4 and Alt+F4 are simply not my understanding of fast-to-use hotkeys!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: January 01, 2011, 06:05 PM »

Quite possibly  ;)
Personally, I'd hate it to close on escape.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: January 01, 2011, 06:12 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations of surfulater, cranioscopical, cyberdiva, and J-Mac.

Ctrl+F4 and Alt+F4 are simply not my understanding of fast-to-use hotkeys!

I can relate to that - I wish PDF readers closed on escape - then again I've set up a Ctrl+Q hotkey to close the active window.
On topic:
my experience is that the Surfulater developer (dc member Nevf) is responsive to ideas in the programme's forum
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2011, 05:31 AM »
My two cents:   WordWebPro,   ,   and my favorite word processor,  Atlantis.

Thanks for telling, sazzen. Your post made me install Atlantis, and what a fine surprise it has already been. However, I also have WordWeb Pro 6, and when I (right-click a word in Alantis and) click 'Thesaurus', WordWeb will pop up and flicker extremely fast (more than maybe 10 times a second) and be useless. I must click Escape, to stop it. Do you have any problems integrating WordWeb Pro and Atlantis?

Besides, Atlantis gave me the same disappointing message that many other word processors also will give: "Sorry, our hyphenation module does not support your (Danish) language".

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: January 02, 2011, 06:35 AM »
Is Surfulater's license transferable? If so, you can have mine, Curt. After waiting for more than a year, it still doesn't support unicode, on top of other issues.

For now I use OneNote. May give IQ another shot (tried and failed several times already) when I have time to learn it properly, but that may never happen.

Anyway, you could have mine, for free, or donate whatever amount you see fit to DC.

sazzen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: January 02, 2011, 08:37 AM »
My two cents:   WordWebPro,   ,   and my favorite word processor,  Atlantis.

Thanks for telling, sazzen. Your post made me install Atlantis, and what a fine surprise it has already been. However, I also have WordWeb Pro 6, and when I (right-click a word in Alantis and) click 'Thesaurus', WordWeb will pop up and flicker extremely fast (more than maybe 10 times a second) and be useless. I must click Escape, to stop it. Do you have any problems integrating WordWeb Pro and Atlantis?

Besides, Atlantis gave me the same disappointing message that many other word processors also will give: "Sorry, our hyphenation module does not support your (Danish) language".

I never use the thesaurus in Atlantis - I use Mobysaurus instead - so I was unaware of the problem with WordWeb Pro. I always run WordWeb Pro separately. It sits there in the corner of my screen all day. Sorry about the Danish language problem. You might also have noticed that tables are absent from the program - thus far. In every other way the developers are responsive and helpful but only recently have they considered adding tables to Atlantis.

Did you purchase Surfulater?  That is a very nice price for a very nice application - depending on what you want to use it for. I use it to store web pages. Yes, I have version 3, I have not upgraded to the newest version - yet.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2011, 08:50 AM »
Is Surfulater's license transferable? If so, you can have mine, Curt. After waiting for more than a year, it still doesn't support unicode, on top of other issues.

-I am surprised, because Surfulater does support my special Danish characters, so I didn't wonder if Unicode was fully supported. However, I already have seen this message box too often:

nofile.GIF

Thank you for your fine offer, but No thank you. Wasting money is part of (my) life ;-)

----
Did you purchase Surfulater.. Yes, I have version 3, I have not upgraded to the newest version - yet.

-the newest version 3.40 is a free update for any owner of a version 3 license.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2011, 10:09 AM »
Hi, Curt.  I was surprised by the "No Article Created" message you say you've been getting frequently. I use Surfulater a lot and have never seen that message.    Very strange.  Have you posted a message on the Surfulater support section?  I find that Neville is very responsive.  Except, perhaps, about unicode  :( .  I've found that I can enter, say, characters like é, ñ, ü, and ¿ and see them in the articles I've saved, but if I try to search on a word with one of these characters, I'm not successful.  If the word is in the title, I can find it via the Knowledge Tree Filter, which apparently can handle unicode, but the otherwise terrific full-text search mechanism cannot.  I've been hoping that Neville will fix this.  He claimed back in May that he was working on it, but apparently he hasn't yet been successful.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2011, 10:30 AM »
@Curt

Just to understand better, do you have a knowledgebase open when you try that operation?
Have you created one of your own?

As cyberdiva says, I've never seen that myself

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2011, 11:36 AM »
-I marked the article's text on this Danish page, and right-clicked Surfulater: Add new article.

Nothing else.

I guess it may be due to the lack of Unicode.  :tellme:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:38 AM by Curt »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2011, 11:45 AM »
Just to understand better, do you have a knowledgebase open when you try that operation?
-cranioscopical (January 02, 2011, 10:30 AM)

do you need to have a file open in order to clip from the web? (just checking - it's not clear to me from the responses)

Tom