ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Your most used SPECIAL programs

<< < (16/39) > >>

tomos:
Well, Reshade Image Enlarger
- Resize Images Without Quality Loss
-Bits du Jour
--- End quote ---
-Curt (March 23, 2009, 09:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
Enlarge Images Without Quality Loss doesnt exist as I'm sure you're fully aware :)

Have you looked at Qimage -
I tried it out a couple of times for printing images it's great. I did a mini-review of the trial (which was then limited in that the second printed page would have a grid superimposed - you had to restart)

Mini-Review here
Home-page http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

If you only want to work with JPEGs it's $50 or $35 for a not so good version (limited interpolation method). To compare versions:-
http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/editions.htm

tinjaw:
So I came to ask if any of you guys know about a more reasonable priced IMAGE ENLARGER that is far better than average?  :tellme
-Curt (March 23, 2009, 09:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ask all the people in TV and Movies that seem to have a 1-click application to enlarge images with higher fidelity than an electron microscope.

Queue actor: "Can you enhance that?"  :P

Curt:
- you are so right, tinjaw. It is amazing what they seem to be able to enhance!

What goes for the Qimage, well, I tried it a year or so ago and didn't like it. I use my images for screensavers and wallpapers only, and have very little need for printing - I don't even have a printer for the best photo qualities. Furthermore, IIRC, it is difficult or even impossible to merely bulk resize image files if the images don't have standard paper sizes.

CWuestefeld:
OK, I'm being pedantic. Enlarge Images Without Quality Loss doesnt exist as I'm sure you're fully aware
-tomos (March 23, 2009, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, enlargement is perfect 100% fidelity. No information is lost when enlarging, at least for a naive algorithm. If you do straight scaling, you will be able to increase the resolution and then decrease it to the exact original size, and the output will be identical to the input. (some interpolation algorithms may, however, introduce changes)

I suppose that what you meant is that the quality can't exceed 100% in that it can't add detail that wasn't in the original (smaller) image. Various algorithms can interpolate to make the image appear to be more detailed, but this is just a trick of perception.

On the other side of the coin, it's shrinking image resolution that is necessarily lossy.

And btw, I'm a fan of Qimage, I use it all the time for printing. Keep in mind that it's useful not only for boosting (perceived) resolution, but also for applying color and broghtness corrections, for example.

Curt:
..., but when I tried Reshade Image Enlarger I came to realize the difference between being fairly good and being the best. I have been very impressed with Reshade. And shouldn't I: The normal asking price is $150 !!!  ...-Curt (March 23, 2009, 09:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've just tested it again, and I now remember why I didn't keep it the first time, aside from the cost. In some ways it is plain stupid! The author seriously needs some help on how to make a userfriendly program!

But still  I am mighty impressed with the picture quality! I just want to remind 'you' not to purchase Reshade before testing!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version