ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Your most used SPECIAL programs

<< < (12/39) > >>

40hz:
Nice output quality yeah, but it was the syntax that tipped me off :). Does this mean that the program installs as many weird-ish programs "all over the place" and that it's pretty big? Or have they managed to condense and "self-contain" it? (I've used miktex on windows, and that felt... alien. Kinda like a unix program backported to windows ;) ;) ;) ).
-f0dder (August 22, 2008, 08:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

As far as I can tell, it installs everything into one folder and comes in around 56Mb if you load all the options. Whoever did the Windows port did a nice job. I'm not familiar with miktex, but it's nothing like LyX if that's what your worried about. ;)

Once installed, LilyPond creates a shortcut on your desktop.

There is NO user interface. Drop a file with the .ly extension on the shortcut and it creates a .log .ps and .pdf file - and you're done.

You can put the shortcut into a folder or move it anywhere you want. The postscript and pdf files get generated in the same location as the .ly file. The log file always seems to go to the desktop. If I were a real pro I  suppose I could go in and find a way to change that, but it's easier just to trash it, so that's what I do. ;D

40hz:
Tom Rokicki's AmigaTeX was a nice implementation.  I wish I could find something as nice for Windows.  MiKTeX didn't seem as smooth but I did pour a lot of stuff through it.  The commercial versions of TeX (at least those at which I've looked) seem to be a bit expensive.  For most TeX stuff I've always found myself resorting to a lazy configuration of LaTeX, driven by a handful of external macros (which were a breeze to set up on the Amiga, using ARexx).
-cranioscopical (August 22, 2008, 08:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

You might try looking at LyX: http://www.lyx.org/Home : :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

LyX is a document processor that encourages an approach to writing based on the structure of your documents (WYSIWYM), and not simply their appearance (WYSIWYG).

LyX combines the power and flexibility of TeX/LaTeX with the ease of use of a graphical interface. This results in world-class support for creation of mathematical content (via a fully integrated equation editor) and structured documents like academic articles, theses, and books. In addition, staples of scientific authoring such as reference list and index creation come standard. But you can also use LyX to create a letter or a novel or a theatre play or film script. A broad array of ready, well-designed document layouts are built in.

LyX is for people who want their writing to look great, right out of the box. No more endless tinkering with formatting details, “finger painting” font attributes or futzing around with page boundaries. You just write. On screen, LyX looks like any word processor; its printed output — or richly cross-referenced PDF, just as readily produced — looks like nothing else.

LyX is released under a Free Software / Open Source license, runs on Linux/Unix, Windows, and Mac OS X, and is available in several languages.
--- End quote ---

This is what I use when I'm working with TeX.

cranioscopical:
You might try looking at LyX: http://www.lyx.org/Home :
-40hz (August 22, 2008, 09:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks.  Tried it once, had some issue that I can't now recall and drifted back away into never-never land.  I'll look again.

fenixproductions:
2cranioscopical
Try maybe this one:
http://www.latexeditor.org/

It requires some "coding" but it was real pleasure to learn the syntax with it. I  remember how I was pissed that I found this little guy AFTER I wrote my thesis using "Win-something" shareware ;) LED is the best LaTeX editor I've ever used.

cranioscopical:
2cranioscopical
Try maybe this one:
http://www.latexeditor.org/-fenixproductions (August 22, 2008, 06:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, I'll follow up on that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version