topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Convert to tiff (lzw)  (Read 6804 times)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Convert to tiff (lzw)
« on: July 31, 2008, 03:26 AM »
I'm trying to convert all the BMP images in the Pictures folder to TIFF(LZW compression), then delete the originals. I want to keep the folder structure in place, keep the original date. Apparently this is too hard a task. Photoshop can't do it, as actions always save to a specific folder (either chosen for the action or it copies all files into 1 flat folder), irfanview can't do it (same reason). Anyone got suggestions that work? I don't mind doing it via the commandline.

O yeah I got other images in these folders with a different format (jpg / png) I don't want to convert them or manually have to select individual files so ImageTasks doesn't seem able either).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:29 AM by justice »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Convert to tiff (lzw)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 03:39 AM »
ACDSee would do it as it allows you to pick files from different folders at the same time. the batch conversion would also put the new files in the original folders - it should also cope with deleting the files as you would just hit delete on the selected files after the job has done.

not sure about other image manager type programs but if they allow selection of files in different folders then they should do it.

edit:

not sure about just selecting bmp files and ignoring others - to that i'd say 'probably'.

edit again:

simply arranging the files by file type means you can easily just select all the bmp's with a couple of clicks.

edit again again:

i should have realised but you can also just search for *.bmp within a selected group of folders to get the same result. obvious really.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:55 AM by nudone »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 03:54 AM »
Tried FORFILES but even though documentation says otherwise, i'm unable to add double quotes for long filenames (yes i tried 0x22)

At the moment i'm trying DragAndDropRobot in combination with Irfanview's commandline parameters which seem quite extensive, will let you know progress.
C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe "%A" /tifc=1 /convert="%P\%NO.tif"
seems to have done the trick.  :Thmbsup: Mouser to the rescue. Agent Ransack did a great job listing all the bmp files I could drag and drop into DADR.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 04:01 AM by justice »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 04:20 AM »
Have you tried this one?
Image Converter One.

http://www.ashongsoft.com/index.html

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 04:31 AM »
I think I'd make a new folder and copy the files to work with to it.
So you are sure to have the originals....just in case....

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 05:59 AM »
When you say: "keep the original date" -
do you mean creation date or last modified date of the file ?
-
If yes to any of the above :) was Irfan View able to manage that?

DOpus could have done everything you want (I think) but I'm not sure about the date thing

Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 05:01 PM »
Your IrfanView can do it without any problems at all, in the way you told us (you wrote "folder"; singular) - only, you don't need to open it. All you need is the little free BAxBEx DLL Shell Extension for IrfanView: http://www.baxbex.com/products.html (scroll all down). Then click 'type', mark, right-click, choose 'tif', wait, click delete. End of story. If I understood the situation.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 07:47 PM »
also in IrfanView's advanced batch settings, there's a "Create subdirectories in destination folder" option which will re-create the folder structure in a new sub-folder.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 03:35 AM »
Thanks for all the replies peeps.
@tomos I meant the last modified date, it's importnt for me to know when I last worked on these pictures (and in most cases they'd be the creation date). The created images have the current date as the creation date and the last modified date is taken from the original it seems (so last modified < creation)

@Curt thanks for that I didn't realise it existed! Clever stuff.

@Lanus128 Thanks this was what I was looking for I guess I didn't need the commandline / DragAndDropRobot all along.

Shows you there's always many solutions to a problem :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 09:34 AM »
@Lanus128 Thanks this was what I was looking for I guess I didn't need the commandline / DragAndDropRobot all along.
hehe.. never doubt Irfan. he's always listening to users' suggestions/feedback and tries to incorporate them into his app. kinda like our mouser. ;)