ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > DcUpdater

DcUpdater Feature Requests

(1/5) > >>

Deozaan:
Hi mouser,

I really like DcUpdater. I think it is really useful and a great way to stay updated with DC software. Here are a couple of things I think would help improve the program:

1) Fix file association with .dcupdate so that the following happens when they are opened separately from the program:

* Either a forwarder file is created (like what happens when you register one with dcuhelper) or the path to the dcupdate file is added to the Extra Update Files list.
* DcUpdater is run normally.
This way when you open a .dcupdate file, you still see all of the other updates you can check/get and the application is automatically registered in DcUpdater from then on.

2) A commandline method (usable with dcuhelper) to show a dialog box saying no new updates were found. This dialog should require the user to click OK before closing out of the updater completely/automatically.

3) Change the name in the task bar from DcUppdater to something better. I'm a grammar nazi and I can't stand it being spelled like that! I still like DCAppdater (DC Application Updater) that was suggested a year ago when you found out about the Vista problems.

4) Room for a real, detailed description of the application. Maybe when it is clicked it expands a bit, kind of like Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Along with this, information about the changes in the latest version.

5) A way to filter/sort applications by website, author, or something along those lines. It would be neat to be able to expand or collapse sections for Mouser's Software, Skrommel's 1-Hour Software, etc. This should also be available in the "Available for Installation" tab.

Speaking of which, I also have a question about adding programs to the "Available for Installation" list. I found out I could do that by making a .dcupdate file with the Local version # of "not installed" but how does it know for sure if the application isn't really installed?

For example, if I have 5 applications that all use DcUpdater, and with a download of any software I include .dcupdate files to add the other 4 apps to the Available for Installation list to make it easy for users of my software to find my other great products, is there a way to check to see if DcUpdater already has update files for those apps so it doesn't make DcUpdater think that only 1 of my apps are installed even if the user has 4 of the 5?

How does it currently work with the ones you've got in that list now?

mouser:
great suggestions, i'm going to try to most or all of these in august.

Speaking of which, I also have a question about adding programs to the "Available for Installation" list. I found out I could do that by making a .dcupdate file with the Local version # of "not installed" but how does it know for sure if the application isn't really installed?
--- End quote ---

dc updater will always check for installed versions of any program references in a .dcupdate file as "not installed", so basically if a program is installed then the .dcupdate file saying "not installed" will be ignored.

Deozaan:
dc updater will always check for installed versions of any program references in a .dcupdate file as "not installed", so basically if a program is installed then the .dcupdate file saying "not installed" will be ignored.
-mouser (July 31, 2008, 11:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's good to know! Thanks!

lanux128:
dc updater will always check for installed versions of any program references in a .dcupdate file as "not installed", so basically if a program is installed then the .dcupdate file saying "not installed" will be ignored.-mouser (July 31, 2008, 11:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks, that will go some way to remove this long-standing problem i mentioned here.

Deozaan:
thanks, that will go some way to remove this long-standing problem i mentioned here.
-lanux128 (August 01, 2008, 10:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

The only time I've had trouble with DcUpdater not showing anything but itself and a specific application was when I opened a .dcupdate file all by itself. I've also heard that if you open DcUpdater from FARR then it doesn't check the right directories for .dcupdate files, so some applications don't show up properly. I think this is/was because DcUpdater uses the local path of whatever application launched it, so it couldn't find the settings or forwarders or something to recognize the applications that were really installed.

My first suggestion above should fix the problems caused by opening a .dcupdate file separately.

I don't use FARR, so I'm not sure launching DcUpdater from FARR still causes problems. But if it does, and especially if this is what is causing everyone else these problems, rectifying this should also be one of the suggestions for improvement for the next version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version