topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: If Bush gets it done, America gets FREE software!  (Read 6814 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If Bush gets it done, America gets FREE software!
« on: July 30, 2008, 09:05 AM »
CodeWeaver has a new wrinkle on giveaways. From the website:

If Bush gets it done, America gets FREE software!
A message from Jeremy White, President and CEO of CodeWeavers:

Dear Friends,

As the presidential election season approaches, we all understand that the nation's business has a tendency to languish. And yet, with our country at war, facing a faltering economy and a myriad of other ills, the next six months cannot be wasted. Therefore, we at CodeWeavers call upon President Bush to continue moving the nation's business ahead, regardless of the obstacles he may face.

To support of this effort, we at CodeWeavers are sucking it up for the good of the nation and offering the President, and the country, major incentives to ensure that his last six months are productive. And so, it is with great pride that I announce the launch of The CodeWeavers Lame Duck Presidential Challenge!

Details of the challenge are below. We encourage all to help out by engaging in dialogue related to the effort on our blog, voicing opinions, suggesting solutions and spreading the word. We're counting on you, America, to help this country hit the ground running in 2009!

Sincerely,

Jeremy White

http://lameduck.codeweavers.com/

Personally, I don't think we're going to cash in on this one since only one of the challenges even seems remotely doable. Nevertheless, the deal is on the table and you never know... ;D

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
Re: If Bush gets it done, America gets FREE software!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 12:23 PM »
For strange that it seems... the gas price have fallen enough (but I suspect few if any will attribute this reached goal to Bush):

CODEWEAVERS' SOFTWARE FREE FOR DOWNLOAD THANKS TO GEORGE W. BUSH AND FALLING GAS PRICES
Giveaway Triggered in CodeWeaver's Great American Lame Duck Presidential Challenge; "We take full responsibility for global economic collapse," says CEO

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 03:09 PM »
Here's an image that I'll have trouble getting out of my mind for the rest of the day:

"I realize that by giving away all my software, I've caused horrific damage to my company's bottom line," White said. "In fact, our vice president of sales wretched Starbucks all over his shirt when he learned the news. But, I figure, the way the economy is going, in a few months everyone might be out on the streets, wearing potato sacks and standing in line for squirrel soup, so why not?"

;D

Anyone interested in this, you need to visit the site tomorrow (Tuesday, October 28 as per PST, MST, CST, EST, etc. timezones). Looks like they make some interesting applications, if you're at all involved in/interested in cross-platform computing. Basically, it enables Windows software to be run under OSX and Linux. Note that you need different applications for each...

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 03:53 PM »
2Darwin
They are planning to do it for USA. I wonder will there be IP blocking or what?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 04:01 PM »
Yeah... I saw that and wondered the same thing! We won't know until tomorrow. This Canuck is planning on finding out though   ;)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 08:15 AM »
It's up and it's working but their server is getting SPANKED!

UPDATE: server is now down:

Main Website Temporarily Offline

Due to the high volume of traffic for the Lame Duck Challenge Free Offer, we have temporarily disabled the CodeWeavers main website.

We apologize for this inconvenience. We still love Digg, even if our server disagrees. ;-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please check back again for registration code information later today. We're working on getting a minimal functioning site.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 09:15 AM by Darwin »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 09:16 AM »
PS codes will be issued through 23:59 Central Standard Time and they're extending the registration period for 48 hours (you sign up, are issued a licence code but then have to register it to use the software).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 12:50 PM »
They're not losing many sales by giving away Mac/Linux software for free, are they? :-\ </sarcasm>

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 12:56 PM »
Ha, ha... It should be noted that the Mac version only runs on Intel Macs (not PPC), so the sheen has worn off a bit for me...