ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Merging Word documents

<< < (2/2)

m_s:
Thanks all for your suggestions...  It turns out the original documents are - as so very often - a dog's dinner of different styles, which means the output document turns out to have its fonts and styles all messed up.  I think I need to get my author to go back to the drawing board and rebuild this from scratch...

lanux128:
@m_s: i haven't tried this yet but i believe a tool like 'Chapter by Chapter' (CbC) can be helpful in a situation like yours. This app could be used to add individual files in a treeview (see pic) then output them as one single big file.

introduced by Tom Colvin in this thread.

Dormouse:
Chapter by Chapter[/url]' (CbC) can be helpful in a situation like yours. This app could be used to add individual files in a treeview (see pic) then output them as one single big file.-lanux128 (July 31, 2008, 08:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hadn't known about this, seemed interesting, so I tried it.

Works, but concatenating Word (.doc files not 2007 format) is all it does (with a helpful note section at the bottom of the page for each file). Produces a concatenated .doc file which can be worked on in word. Only works with .doc files (well, can use RTF files, but cannot mix doc and RTF files).

I checked the box to make it appear in the taskbar, but never succeeded in getting it there. Which made finding it again a pain when it was overlaid with other windows. SOLVED - For new settings to take effect, the program has to be rebooted. I thought I had done this by closing it and restarting it from the file system, but I hadn't. It was sitting in the system tray all the time (so I didn't really need to change the settings anyway  :-[ ).

Also needs all the files to be in the same folder it is set up to work in. It doesn't seem possible to change this setting after installation.

Still, it does meet the OP's need, and surely, if everything is in the same file, it shouldn't be too much work to restyle the document.

lanux128:
from the website, it's obvious that the author (Sebastien) uses the program extensively.in the FAQ, he welcomes any suggestions or feature request. :)

What if I need something CbC doesn't do ?

Please drop me an e-mail.-faq
--- End quote ---

Bronislawa:
Twins File Merger can easily merge word documents, mp3, mpeg and text files. It works pretty fine for me. So you can try it if you wish.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version