ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software Catalog - What Are You Using & How Do You Like It?

<< < (9/11) > >>

CleverCat:
I use SoftCat Plus (courtesy of some credits donated by a very generous DC member)!  :Thmbsup:

In conjunction with Total Uninstall, I find it invaluable after a reinstall for putting my programmes back. Though I'm guilty of not exploiting it's full potential!  :-[

Note to self.....  ;D

vixay:
You know I've always wanted this autocategorization of programs on my PC, currently I have to do it manually (internet utilities, network utilities, desktop , clipboard ...etc.).

I was thinking that wouldn't it be cool if given an application name, i get the name of the category(ies) for that application. That way i could probably write a script to sort it automatically into those folders.

i guess you could do that by searching google for the app name or filehippo or something and get their categories. It would really make finding apps for a particular task a lot easier! It becomes especially difficult when one installs hundreds of apps for testing!

This "group by type" seems like the right feature, but it's not automatic as far as i can tell... but how can we port that to a flexible scheme, maybe even for FARR!

so is there a software catalog can it automatically deduce,search, find the appropriate categories? That would be the killer feature i need...

it's similar to the task based approach.
What do i want to do?

--- --- Image manipulation
 Folder management
 File Renaming
 Network diagnostics

available programs

--- ---
 Image manipulation
  - Gimp
  - Paint.Net
 Folder management
  - Q-Dir
  - Speedcommander
 File Renaming
  - the rename
  - bulk rename utility
 Network diagnostics
  - Smart Sniffer
  - Wireshark

Currently I have to do this manually on the start menu and in my portable apps directory! and in my archive folder! sigh... such a pain... that's why i now have over a 1000 files still to catalog.

I have always wondered how do they File organization sites do it, and if there is an automated way it can be deployed on a desktop ...etc.

This primarily helps new users as well... as they know then what resources are available to them.

I know this seems very rambling, i guess i haven't been articulate enough! Maybe someone else can summarize this better?

superboyac:
I don't think it's something that can be done automatically.  How is the program supposed to know what category a software fits into?  It's so subjective.  The more practical issue is a program that can make the organizing process easier or faster.

A while back, mouser was considering combining the functions of Launchbar Commander and FARR into one program in order to deal with similar issues.  I don't know if that is still on the table, but I thought it was a great idea.

Curt:
... This "group by type" seems like the right feature, but it's not automatic as far as i can tell...
-vixay (August 21, 2008, 05:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

- I am so sorry! I simply had forgotten that the grouping feature in Vista Start Menu Pro [VSM] is based on  that I also have Tidy Start Menu Pro, by the same author, and VSM then imports these groups from Tidy. And of course you are right, the feature is not all automatic, Tidy will only auto-sort a few well known programs (like Microsoft Office, and certain games), and you will have to manually categorize the rest. But that is quite easy:

Software Catalog - What Are You Using & How Do You Like It?

http://www.tidystartmenu.com/index.shtml

Edited:
Right now you can have both of them for a total of merely $20  :up:
(but if you later want to update VSM you will have to first purchase it separately).

Curt:
The Tidy feature you all were asking for:

I am sorry for the delay, but I simply didn't remember this feature until I once again was actually using the program
- I should have been fast asleep several hours ago, it is deep night around here!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version