topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Software Catalog - What Are You Using & How Do You Like It?  (Read 38459 times)

ashwken

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Software Catalog - What Are You Using & How Do You Like It?
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 12:28 PM »
Thanks for the info, Ken.  Where are instructions for "creating UR Attributes to match the Excel column headings"?
I'm a bit hesitant to hijack this thread into a UR discussion, but...

UR Help: Application Components | Dialogs | Attributes Dialog

UR Help: Application Components | Dialogs | Attribute Properties Dialog

UR Help: Application Components | Wizards | Import Wizard | Select Source | A delimited text file

Beyond this I would have to go into more detail then I think appropiate here.

Thanks Ken.  We'll have to find an appropriate place then.

BTW, this isn't the kind of thing you have to explain to me back behind the wood shed or something, is it?   :o   ;)

Jim
Probably over on the Kinook Forum, unless you want to have a smoke out back while we discuss this.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2008, 02:29 AM »
Well I did go ahead and purchase SoftCAT - it can scan all folders, it does have a lot of useful fields pre-configured, and it also gives me 18 user-configurable custom fields.  This will certainly do.

@ashwken: One last note on putting my Excel sheet into UR.  Sorry - not to try and besmirch UR but I cannot see any utility at all in doing what you suggest. Get all the data into Excel, then have to export it out again into a CSV file, then import it into Ultra Recall but only after defining all the attributes first (notice this is s heck of a lot of setup work?!).  And even if I manage to get it all in there, finally, I cannot do anything at all with that data.  It would be completely static - frozen in time, so to speak. Why wouldn't I just keep it in Excel instead of going through all that? At least I could then add to the data there.

I honestly cannot see even one good reason to put it into Ultra Recall.  I guess that Kinook can say that this technically (and I do mean a true "technicality" in the barest sense) lends legitimacy to the claim that I can import an Excel sheet into Ultra Recall, but that's very thin, IMO.

Thanks all for your assistance!

Jim

ashwken

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2008, 09:11 AM »
Well I did go ahead and purchase SoftCAT - it can scan all folders, it does have a lot of useful fields pre-configured, and it also gives me 18 user-configurable custom fields.  This will certainly do.

@ashwken: One last note on putting my Excel sheet into UR.  Sorry - not to try and besmirch UR but I cannot see any utility at all in doing what you suggest. Get all the data into Excel, then have to export it out again into a CSV file, then import it into Ultra Recall but only after defining all the attributes first (notice this is s heck of a lot of setup work?!).  And even if I manage to get it all in there, finally, I cannot do anything at all with that data.  It would be completely static - frozen in time, so to speak. Why wouldn't I just keep it in Excel instead of going through all that? At least I could then add to the data there.

I honestly cannot see even one good reason to put it into Ultra Recall.  I guess that Kinook can say that this technically (and I do mean a true "technicality" in the barest sense) lends legitimacy to the claim that I can import an Excel sheet into Ultra Recall, but that's very thin, IMO.
J-Mac,

I have agreed from the start that if you want the ability to scan a system for software then UR is not going to be of much help.

I was originally under the impression that you had a good percentage of the data already in Excel, it was later revealed that you were working with three separate systems and that there was only data for one system in Excel. If you remove the desire to scan a system for software you are left with having to enter data manually, something that you had been doing with Excel.

My original suggestion of using UR was as a replacement for Excel, and subsequent posts dealt with the method of moving the existing data from Excel to UR, then you could abandon Excel.

Although UR is not going to be able to scan your system for installed software, if you were cataloging a software library, you could bring these files into UR (probably linked) and the UR Item(s) created from this import would contain the Attributes that you had been working with in Excel (that are now being used in UR). Yes, there would be some setup required in UR, but this is always going to be the case when you are designing something yourself rather than using an existing application.

Additionally, within this same software catalog, you could have a folder that contains Items for each of the systems you want to track, software Items could then be linked to the desired system. UR would also allow you to store additional information about (web pages and such) the software and the systems you are tracking.

I'm not saying that this is a superior method, but that it is an alternative solution with limitations and advantages. Your decision to purchase SoftCat is probably a good one based on what you want to do.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 12:24 AM »
ashwken - Sorry...  I realize my last post must have sounded kind of harsh!  Didn't mean it that way - tired I guess.

I just don't see the need to put files, like spreadsheets, into another program like UR or Evernote or any other that can't really handle that file type.  Easier - for me, anyway - to just keep it in Excel and that way it stays "usable".

Thanks for your comments.

Jim

TomColvin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • BECOMING A WRITER SERIOUSLY
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2008, 12:35 AM »
J-MAC:  Of course I meant SoftCAT Plus, not Pro.  I always forget.  And, yes, it might be worth a try again.  After my recent HD crash, I was pleased to watch the program scan for installed programs.  It caught a few which I had forgotten to enter previously.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2008, 01:34 PM »
I tried Softcat, it's nice!  I like it.  I don't have much of a need for it, but if I did, I think it does a good job.  I can recommend it.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2008, 05:15 PM »
This sure is a software catalogue, only  a different kind of catalogue. Damian666 ('Vistapack Project', and 'Replacer' (now version 1.4), Upxgui, and 'Windows Project Community' (administrator)) from the Netherlands has created a little program, Software Database (version 1.2), just for the same. This is not (yet) for license keys and such, but simply for keeping track of "what kind of programs do I have that can do what, and where are they?" Sounds like it could fill one of my needs...

Software Database Project

Ok, new one, a try to get my software organized and easy to find...
User can create his own categories, and place software in them on the fly.
Its even possible to remove, rename and export files which are stored in the database.

software-database.png

You can run files from within the database, the program also supports the movement from files between different categories.

As I said, a nice try :D

Description from:
http://damian666.boo...nd.net/projects.html - scroll all down.

Download from: http://damian666.boo...d.net/downloads.html
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 05:48 PM by Curt »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 06:22 PM »
Curt,

If that is all that you need, it is available from a number of sources.  Ccleaner, SIW, jv16 Powertools, Revo Uninstaller, My Uninstaller, and many more.  All of those show you a detailed list that can be copied and pasted into a text file, and from there into Excel or OO Calc.

That's pretty much how I was doing it prior to purchasing SoftCAT.

Not trying to steer you away from the one you mentioned.  Just that you may already have one or more of the others that can already do that!

Thanks!

Jim

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 07:12 PM »
You may have misread the post.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2008, 07:17 PM »
You may have misread the post.

No, I don't think I did.  Do you mean about categories?  That's what I did in Excel - simple there.  Or if you insist on a database, once it is in Txt, csv, type file, I can put it into Access, Ultra Recall, SQLNotes - any simple or complex DB program.

Unless I misread something else?

Jim

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 03:55 AM »
- yes, I meant Group into Categories. None of the programs you listed can do that. Of course Damian's can't do so either, it can really do very little, but that is what it is about. The feature that comes with Vista Start Menu Pro from Dennis Nazarenko, or almost any other start menu replacement: "Group by Type". Only, I don't know if any of them can export the resulting list.
Menu customization.png
For the record: I didn't and I won't recommend Software Database Project. (Damian666 writes some fine programs, but this project seems to go nowhere.) I was merely telling about it - you know, info out into the air, "we are talking about this type of programs, here is one more of almost the same the kind"-info. But come to think of it, this project is so close to being nothing,  that I really shouldn't have told about it in the first place. Sorry!

Edited:
I should have written "Tidy Start Menu Pro" instead of Vista Start Menu Pro [VSM]
- as VSM merely imports these groups from Tidy.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:19 PM by Curt »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 05:16 AM »
The feature that comes with Vista Start Menu Pro from Dennis Nazarenko, or almost any other start menu replacement: "Group by Type". Only, I don't know if any of them can export the resulting list

that's a really good idea Curt - anyone want to contact Dennis with that ? -
if there's no takers I'll do it tonight ( I'm trying not to distract myself tooo much from work :) )
Tom

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2008, 07:53 AM »
Owl King Publishing's Software Catalog (mentioned in the List of disc catalogers) does import/export, scans for installed software, sort by category... it's $19.95 but has a 30-day try before you buy option.

2008-08-06_204810.jpg

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2008, 12:44 PM »
- yes, I meant Group into Categories. None of the programs you listed can do that. Of course Damian's can't do so either, it can really do very little, but that is what it is about. The feature that comes with Vista Start Menu Pro from Dennis Nazarenko, or almost any other start menu replacement: "Group by Type". Only, I don't know if any of them can export the resulting list. (see attachment in previous post)For the record: I didn't and I won't recommend Software Database Project. (Damian666 writes some fine programs, but this project seems to go nowhere.) I was merely telling about it - you know, info out into the air, "we are talking about this type of programs, here is one more of almost the same the kind"-info. But come to think of it, this project is so close to being nothing,  that I really shouldn't have told about it in the first place. Sorry!

Thanks Curt.  Now the Vista Start Menu Pro is more interesting!  Export would be good though.

Thanks!

Jim

awraynor

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2008, 08:25 PM »
I have AllMySoftware from Bolide Software, scans for your programs and has a nice interface.  At Lifehacker.com they recently did a poll on media managers, some which do software cataloging, overall a nice list of great software.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2008, 01:21 AM »
I use SoftCat Plus (courtesy of some credits donated by a very generous DC member)!  :Thmbsup:

In conjunction with Total Uninstall, I find it invaluable after a reinstall for putting my programmes back. Though I'm guilty of not exploiting it's full potential!  :-[

Note to self.....  ;D

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2008, 05:29 AM »
You know I've always wanted this autocategorization of programs on my PC, currently I have to do it manually (internet utilities, network utilities, desktop , clipboard ...etc.).

I was thinking that wouldn't it be cool if given an application name, i get the name of the category(ies) for that application. That way i could probably write a script to sort it automatically into those folders.

i guess you could do that by searching google for the app name or filehippo or something and get their categories. It would really make finding apps for a particular task a lot easier! It becomes especially difficult when one installs hundreds of apps for testing!

This "group by type" seems like the right feature, but it's not automatic as far as i can tell... but how can we port that to a flexible scheme, maybe even for FARR!

so is there a software catalog can it automatically deduce,search, find the appropriate categories? That would be the killer feature i need...

it's similar to the task based approach.
What do i want to do?
Image manipulation
 Folder management
 File Renaming
 Network diagnostics

available programs

Image manipulation
  - Gimp
  - Paint.Net
 Folder management
  - Q-Dir
  - Speedcommander
 File Renaming
  - the rename
  - bulk rename utility
 Network diagnostics
  - Smart Sniffer
  - Wireshark

Currently I have to do this manually on the start menu and in my portable apps directory! and in my archive folder! sigh... such a pain... that's why i now have over a 1000 files still to catalog.

I have always wondered how do they File organization sites do it, and if there is an automated way it can be deployed on a desktop ...etc.

This primarily helps new users as well... as they know then what resources are available to them.

I know this seems very rambling, i guess i haven't been articulate enough! Maybe someone else can summarize this better?
"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:31 AM by vixay »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2008, 10:03 AM »
I don't think it's something that can be done automatically.  How is the program supposed to know what category a software fits into?  It's so subjective.  The more practical issue is a program that can make the organizing process easier or faster.

A while back, mouser was considering combining the functions of Launchbar Commander and FARR into one program in order to deal with similar issues.  I don't know if that is still on the table, but I thought it was a great idea.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2008, 05:07 PM »
... This "group by type" seems like the right feature, but it's not automatic as far as i can tell...

- I am so sorry! I simply had forgotten that the grouping feature in Vista Start Menu Pro [VSM] is based on  that I also have Tidy Start Menu Pro, by the same author, and VSM then imports these groups from Tidy. And of course you are right, the feature is not all automatic, Tidy will only auto-sort a few well known programs (like Microsoft Office, and certain games), and you will have to manually categorize the rest. But that is quite easy:

Tidy.gifSoftware Catalog - What Are You Using & How Do You Like It?

http://www.tidystartmenu.com/index.shtml

Edited:
Right now you can have both of them for a total of merely $20  :up:
(but if you later want to update VSM you will have to first purchase it separately).

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:29 PM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2008, 05:48 PM »
The Tidy feature you all were asking for:

export.gif

I am sorry for the delay, but I simply didn't remember this feature until I once again was actually using the program
- I should have been fast asleep several hours ago, it is deep night around here!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:51 PM by Curt »

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2008, 04:28 AM »
I don't think it's something that can be done automatically.  How is the program supposed to know what category a software fits into?  It's so subjective.  The more practical issue is a program that can make the organizing process easier or faster.

A while back, mouser was considering combining the functions of Launchbar Commander and FARR into one program in order to deal with similar issues.  I don't know if that is still on the table, but I thought it was a great idea.

You are right in that it's subjective, yet look at delicious ...etc. You know how they suggest popular tags when you add a bookmark, something like that i guess.

Or you could choose a standard... download.com, filehippo.com, amazon.com or google 1st result or something else.

And if you just have an option that says, Save with popular tags/categories, then voila! you are done.

just my 2 cents
"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2008, 09:01 AM »
If you categorize start menu, will it confuse FARR when opening programmes?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2008, 09:17 AM »
If you categorize start menu, will it confuse FARR when opening programmes?

Nope, FARR is able to search recursively through complex directory structures.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2008, 11:43 AM »
I missed some good posts here - must have not clicked through one of the notification emails so I stopped getting them.

I do like the categorization feature.  I am now using SoftCAT Plus, and it does have categories, but I don't particularly like how they have implemented them.  The choices appear to be hard-coded; I cannot customize the categories or sub-categories and I don't really like how they are worded.  I could use a user-custom field - they allow you 18 of those.  Not sure how yet but I'll look into it.

Thanks!

Jim

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2008, 12:12 PM »
I missed some good posts here - must have not clicked through one of the notification emails so I stopped getting them.

I then to click on "Show new replies to your posts" at the top of the page. Less disturbing than incoming email.
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz