topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 11:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Opera UserJS contest winners  (Read 3980 times)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Opera UserJS contest winners
« on: July 28, 2008, 07:07 PM »
Errr, I should have posted about this when they *announced* it, but totally forgot about it, and so the contest ended, and winners were chosen.

Anyway, the Opera Software guys held a contest to create new and innovative User JavaScript, em, scripts (the closest thing to Firefox extensions), with quite a nice reward for the winners in the two sole categories. There are a few really interesting scripts, either for its usefulness, or just for being original.

Screenshot - 29_07_2008 , 2_02_33.png

It looks like it won't be the last time they'll do this, which hopefully means the coming of the long-desired extensibility in Opera (or a least a more elegant way to find and handle what's already available).

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
Re: Opera UserJS contest winners
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 07:25 PM »
Thanks for the notification.

I am a big fan of Opera's userscripts, but the fact that there is no central repository of current / maintained scripts is pathetic.

Compared with the system that FireFox has for hosting and distributing extensions, it is a very poorly implemented feature.

It seems so easy to rectify the situation, since they already have hosting for (the far less useful) Widgets, but Opera is (as usual?) dragging its heels :(

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 02:56 PM »
Indeed, considering that other programs without major financial backing have a complete repository of plugins / extensions /whatever in place, the situation is really puzzling. And it's not that UserJS is a state secret or something, quite the contrary. Oh well, I hope they get their act together, or I'll have to keep using the essential scripts (otherwise, it turns into a time-consuming chore)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 12:04 AM »
I completely missed this, Lashiec, thanks!