ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Cuil search engine

<< < (2/6) > >>

Veign:
The results are hard to read in the display they give and the content of the results are junk.  The few search I did provide extremely poor results on page 1.

Google has nothing to fear.

Lashiec:
But it's not google, so who cares? :)
-f0dder (July 28, 2008, 11:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

And this is exactly why Microsoft (or any other aspiring search engine) is in trouble ;D

Dormouse:
Agree with all.

Very slow,
Too few results on each page,
Doesn't get the main sites relating to the search (I checked with a term where I have the main websites).

I remember trying Google when it was first launched and virtually unknown. It was much faster and produced better results than the other engines I was using at the time. And the plain pages made it much easier to scan. I immediately switched to Google as my first choice searcher. If someone does it better, I think the market would be there for them - but there's no prize for being nearly as good. And Cuil isn't anywhere near as good. ATM at least.

allen:
As near as I can tell... they've (allegedly) trippled google's web page index (Right, sure...) and have reverted back to the search technology of the 80's, using meta tags?, to search through it.  My suspicion when I read the about page was that it would return a convoluted mess of useless results.  My initial tests seem to confirm that.

I don't know that "the perfect" search engine could unseat google's multi-faceted momentum.  And this thing is not, by any means, the perfect search. I'm not even convinced it's a valid search.

When I can't find something on google, I go to clusty for a second opinion.  Unless Cuil is really awesome, and they just forgot to turn on their super-ness for launch, I can't imagine there's any place for them on the Internet. I mean, really--who would use them?

kartal:
Guys take it easy. This thing has just came out and Google has been around for a while. My results were not perfect but they were not bad either. Also Its privacy policy is way better than google. So yes I will use Cuil.

Also comparing search results to google is not very scientific either. Google search results are irrelevant anyways. There is no "industry standard" results database.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version